After 400 years, KJV Bible still infl...

After 400 years, KJV Bible still influential

There are 59 comments on the The Jackson Sun story from Mar 5, 2011, titled After 400 years, KJV Bible still influential. In it, The Jackson Sun reports that:

The King James Bible was first printed in 1611 as part of an effort by King James I to release a Bible that would unify the church.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jackson Sun.

yeah but

Jackson, TN

#21 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would venture to say that there are 4 classes of men:
1. Intelligent men without religion
2. Religious men without intelligence
3. Intelligent men with religion
4. Fools
Gee, Dickens, you show signs of being intelligent yourself. Perhaps you are a free thinker. Don't let 'free thinker' read this; it might make his head explode, since he feels apparently strongly that any intelligent person MUST by definition reach the same conclusion he has reached. What an inteligent guy, huh?

haha

I consider him to be a typical internet smart-aleck of average intelligence. No more, no less.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#22 Mar 14, 2011
yeah but wrote:
sure, dickens, but according to free thinker, your two previous posts quoted religious idiots. He said that any religious man was without intelligence, so, let's see how he responds to your posts. Bet it takes him a minute. He will have to google some info for a rebuttal (consisting of some pretty predictable stuff, i imagine.)
These 'free thinkers' seem so sure of themselves, yet slam Christians for being the same.
They think they have it all figured out, yet criticize others for the same.
They condescend sooooo arrogantly, while accusing believers of the same.
They all quote the same few authors and present the same handful of arguments, while accusing believers of being simplistic automatons spewing out the 'party line'.
Apparently, these 'free thinkers' don't appreciate the concept of irony.
Very well said! Thank you for joining in...you and I are only two of a great multitude of intelligent people who believe in God.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#23 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>
BECAUSE THERE IS A GOD by Leo Tolstoy
Now he had learnt to see the great, the eternal, and the infinite in everything; and naturally therefore, in order to see it, to revel in its contemplation, he flung aside the telescope through which he had hitherto been gazing over men's heads, and looked joyfully at the ever-changing, ever grand, unfathomable, and infinte life around him. And the closer he looked at it, the calmer and happier he was. The terrible question that had shattered all his intellectual edifices in old days, the question: What for? had no existenece for him now. To that question, What for? he had now always ready in his soul the simple answer: Because there is a God, that God without whom not one hair of a man's head falls.
You do know who Leo Tolstoy is? He is that great Russian author of "War and Peace".
So you quote a story about an unnamed man who was on the right track but limited by the technology of his day. At some point this man became overwhelmed trying to figure out how and decided to ask the pointless question of "what for?" Instead of trying to actually find the answer with a method that would allow him to show others how he reached his conclusion he simply made up an answer and called it "God". No proof, no logic, just a conclusion that a super being in the sky said "TA-DA!" and it was here because this super being just freaking felt like it.

I don't care how important you think Leo Tolstoy was, if he was the unnamed man then, yes, he is very unintelligent with regard to his pursuit of real answers.

Location hidden

#24 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is my creed. I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshipped. That the most acceptable service we render Him is doing good to His other children. That the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
I feel within me the future life. I am like a forest that has once been razed: the new shoots most certainly rise toward the heavens....Some say the soul results merely from bodily powers. Why, then, does my soul become brighter when my bodily powers begin to waste away? Winter is above me, but eternal spring is within my heart....For half a century I have been translating my thoughts into prose and verse; history, philosophy, drama, romance, tradition, satire, ode, and song; all of these have I tried. But I feel that I haven't given utterance to the thousandth part of what lies within me. When I go to the grave I can say as other have said, "My day's work is done." But I cannot say, "My life is done." My day's work will recommence the next morning. The tomb is not a blind alley; it is a thoroughfare. It closes upon the twilight, but opens upon the dawn. VICTOR HUGO
Our Creator would never have made such lovely days, and have given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above and beyond all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal. NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE
The country is both the philosopher's garden and library, in which he reads and contemplates the power, wisdom, and goodness of God. WILLIAM PENN
Dickens, we already had this discussion with regard to arguments from authority. They are fallacious by their very nature. So Ben Franklin, Victor Hugo, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and William Penn all talk about how they believe God is real so you claim that because they think so it makes it true; wrong. These men, like you, have provided no evidence or logical reasoning to make anyone think a god is real. You still have all your work ahead of you Dickens.

Location hidden

#25 Mar 14, 2011
yeah but wrote:
He will have to google some info for a rebuttal (consisting of some pretty predictable stuff, i imagine.)
I suspect that Dickens didn't have those quotes memorized and probably retrieved them via some search engine. You will notice that I take her point head on without resorting to red herrings about her sources. Ad hominem is one for the lowest and easiest fallacies to spot "yea but" so if you have nothing to contribute then please stop making me waste time scrolling past your empty posts.
yeah but wrote:
These 'free thinkers' seem so sure of themselves, yet slam Christians for being the same.
Your senses betray you. I am sure of one thing, that I do not know everything and will admit what I do not know. I know that in most cases a negative cannot be proven so please don't try that shifting the burden of proof crap, it's old news. You are the one claiming the invisible being, not I.
yeah but wrote:
They think they have it all figured out, yet criticize others for the same. They condescend sooooo arrogantly, while accusing believers of the same. They all quote the same few authors and present the same handful of arguments, while accusing believers of being simplistic automatons spewing out the 'party line'. Apparently, these 'free thinkers' don't appreciate the concept of irony.
Again, I don't have it all figured out but I do have the absurdity of your religion figured out. So your feelings are hurt because you can not defend the far fetched claims. So you get angry because someone "arrogantly" questions your dogma. Well to bad, so sad, dear dad. In the arena of ideas your "faith" falls apart and you don't like that. Hate me all you want, you're the one with the issue to prove and for 2000 years you have not progressed past step one.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#26 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dickens, we already had this discussion with regard to arguments from authority. They are fallacious by their very nature. So Ben Franklin, Victor Hugo, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and William Penn all talk about how they believe God is real so you claim that because they think so it makes it true; wrong. These men, like you, have provided no evidence or logical reasoning to make anyone think a god is real. You still have all your work ahead of you Dickens.
You missed the point of those posts. I did not use these quotes as proof of authority. I used them to counter the quote you offered about the "2 classes of men". My sampling of quotes were intended to show you that many great, intelligent, learned men have professed belief in God. I think I proved my point.

Location hidden

#27 Mar 14, 2011
yeah but wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, Dickens, you show signs of being intelligent yourself. Perhaps you are a free thinker. Don't let 'free thinker' read this; it might make his head explode, since he feels apparently strongly that any intelligent person MUST by definition reach the same conclusion he has reached. What an inteligent guy, huh?
haha
I consider him to be a typical internet smart-aleck of average intelligence. No more, no less.
Yea But's Check List to Defeat FreeThinker82

1) Provide evidence of my God.....
2)_________
3) Profit!!

You know talking about me is fine, if it makes you feel good then go for it. I give Dickens credit for at least trying to argue her beliefs. I respect that. You haven't even attempted to do that yet, just type type typing away about how much I suck. LOL

Location hidden

#28 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point of those posts. I did not use these quotes as proof of authority. I used them to counter the quote you offered about the "2 classes of men". My sampling of quotes were intended to show you that many great, intelligent, learned men have professed belief in God. I think I proved my point.
OK, you're going to crap a brick but, I concede your point. Many intelligent men have been religious.

I would submit that if they had used their intelligence to the fullest extent, had access to the knowledge we do today, and applied the rules of logic fairly even to their own particular faith, they would have reached the conclusion that Thomas Paine reached; god is man made.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#29 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you're going to crap a brick but, I concede your point. Many intelligent men have been religious.
I would submit that if they had used their intelligence to the fullest extent, had access to the knowledge we do today, and applied the rules of logic fairly even to their own particular faith, they would have reached the conclusion that Thomas Paine reached; god is man made.
Oh, Free Thinker, I just had the most satisfying BM...I did indeed crap a brick! LOL Thank you for your concession.

You know, you never did respond to my post about Thomas Paine and the parethesis around that particular scripture that he seemed to latch so much hope on!

Location hidden

#30 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Free Thinker, I just had the most satisfying BM...I did indeed crap a brick! LOL Thank you for your concession.
You know, you never did respond to my post about Thomas Paine and the parethesis around that particular scripture that he seemed to latch so much hope on!
Sorry I missed that, was it in other thread?
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#31 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that Dickens didn't have those quotes memorized and probably retrieved them via some search engine. You will notice that I take her point head on without resorting to red herrings about her sources. Ad hominem is one for the lowest and easiest fallacies to spot "yea but" so if you have nothing to contribute then please stop making me waste time scrolling past your empty posts.
<quoted text>
Your senses betray you. I am sure of one thing, that I do not know everything and will admit what I do not know. I know that in most cases a negative cannot be proven so please don't try that shifting the burden of proof crap, it's old news. You are the one claiming the invisible being, not I.
<quoted text>
Again, I don't have it all figured out but I do have the absurdity of your religion figured out. So your feelings are hurt because you can not defend the far fetched claims. So you get angry because someone "arrogantly" questions your dogma. Well to bad, so sad, dear dad. In the arena of ideas your "faith" falls apart and you don't like that. Hate me all you want, you're the one with the issue to prove and for 2000 years you have not progressed past step one.
No, Free Thinker, I did not retrieve these quotes from any search engine. They are from an old book in my home library, a book much loved and often read by me. "One Thousand Beautiful Things" published in 1947. While I didn't have them memorized, I had them so well stored in my mind that it only took a little leafing through the old yelllowed pages to locate them. It is a book I highly recommend.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#32 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I missed that, was it in other thread?
Yes
happilymarried

United States

#33 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
Scholars who study the development of the English language usually put two items at the top of the list as the primary forces shaping English-- Shakespeare's plays and the King James Bible.

So, not only is the KJV important in a religious sense, it has been an indispensable contribution to English language and expression.

We should indeed celebrate the influence of the KJV. But most importantly, through the KJV, the Lord has communicated His truth to sinners who desperately need His love, His grace, and His forgiveness.
Do u ever wonder how much truth is lost with translation?
happilymarried

United States

#34 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>Come on Dickens, we talked about this in the other thread. You keep skipping the hard work of showing a magic super being exists. Let's do step one before claiming he wrote a book as convoluted as the Christian Bible. If a perfect being did exist he's not much of a story teller. Each time he's told the gospel to another writer he kept adding crap he forgot to mention before and even changing up major parts of the story. If you think about it, God actually sounds like an Alzheimers patient.
Well you've got to remember imperfect beings wrote the Bible for God. There I'd probably many mistakes.

Location hidden

#35 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Free Thinker, I did not retrieve these quotes from any search engine. They are from an old book in my home library, a book much loved and often read by me. "One Thousand Beautiful Things" published in 1947. While I didn't have them memorized, I had them so well stored in my mind that it only took a little leafing through the old yelllowed pages to locate them. It is a book I highly recommend.
I'm to young to have amassed such a library. I was only pointing out to "yea but" the dishonest approach to arguing against someone's source and not the substance of what was written. I wonder if "yea but" has followed the other thread. He/she might not make such assumptions about me if they had.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#36 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm to young to have amassed such a library. I was only pointing out to "yea but" the dishonest approach to arguing against someone's source and not the substance of what was written. I wonder if "yea but" has followed the other thread. He/she might not make such assumptions about me if they had.
I hope you're not implying I was around in 1947 to buy the book hot off the presses! LOL

I've got to get busy...I'll catch back up with y'all later this evening.
Cant deny this

United States

#37 Mar 14, 2011
I think you as a person have two choices, you will live and die with no faith and you and the people you love will disappear or you will live and die with faith and you will live on in another way along with the people you love. I dont understand how a person can live with the stress of life working 40 hours or more weekly trying to build a decent life with a house car wife and children and know it is all for nothing because you will die in a few years and your life and work will simply disappear. Faith in God is all you can look forward to or you will simply disappear

“Trying to figure it all out!”

Since: Mar 11

jackson tn

#38 Mar 14, 2011
Cant deny this wrote:
I think you as a person have two choices, you will live and die with no faith and you and the people you love will disappear or you will live and die with faith and you will live on in another way along with the people you love. I dont understand how a person can live with the stress of life working 40 hours or more weekly trying to build a decent life with a house car wife and children and know it is all for nothing because you will die in a few years and your life and work will simply disappear. Faith in God is all you can look forward to or you will simply disappear
You just answered why religion has continued to sustain itself for all these years. But that's no more than having the intellect to know you will someday die. You have an emotional connection to those around you and you don't want to give that up. Your post is a good example of how religion is a crutch!

However I think your view that without an afterlife this life has no meaning is far fetched. I personally will live on....my children are a part of me. The impact I make on everyone I come in contact with is an extension of my being. The thought of an afterlife used to be an intellectual species way of never having to lose a loved one. We know better than that now, the memories and influences of our loved ones prevents them from dying.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#39 Mar 14, 2011
Nonetheless wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion: man becomes frustrated when the resources are not available to answer a question.....leading to the easiest answer of "God" did it. This gives man emotional closure.
Why is "God did it" the easiest answer? I can't see where it would be any easier than "the Big Bang did it" or "Evolution did it", etc. Care to elaborate?
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#40 Mar 14, 2011
None The Less wrote, "Your post is a good example of how religion is a crutch."

You say that like "crutch" is a bad word. What's so wrong with a crutch, after all? If a man is wounded or sick or weak, a crutch is a helpful thing and the man would be foolish not to depend on one. From a believer's point of view, Man is indeed wounded and sick and weak unto death, and Jesus lovingly offers Himself as a crutch for Man to lean on.

Have you heard the old hymn, "Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting Arms?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Freed-Hardeman University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No Xcuse for not getting fit (Nov '09) Nov '15 lavluamin 8
News Lectureship a signature event for FHU, community (Feb '11) Mar '15 Simon7 3
News Shannon, Haynes engaged to marry (Jan '14) Jan '14 jnhan 1
Michael dunnavant (Nov '13) Nov '13 Just wondering 1
News El Dorado Minister Named Harding University Vic... (Apr '13) Apr '13 roboblogger2 1
News FHU's annual Bible Lectureship begins Sunday, f... (Feb '13) Feb '13 JustChristian 1
News Local briefs: Woman shot on Gordon Street; man ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 amazing 1
More from around the web