After 400 years, KJV Bible still influential

Mar 5, 2011 Full story: The Jackson Sun 59

The King James Bible was first printed in 1611 as part of an effort by King James I to release a Bible that would unify the church.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tiny

Lexington, TN

#1 Mar 5, 2011
It is strange in one way.
written in the King's language, not that many scholars of very long ago and still chosen over much more researched and technically correct versions.

“Trying to figure it all out!”

Since: Mar 11

jackson tn

#2 Mar 5, 2011
Tiny wrote:
It is strange in one way.
written in the King's language, not that many scholars of very long ago and still chosen over much more researched and technically correct versions.
Because being "technically correct" is not a foundation of faith!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2011
Nonetheless wrote:
<quoted text>
Because being "technically correct" is not a foundation of faith!
Ah, the bible, it's like history class without all the facts.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#4 Mar 6, 2011
Scholars who study the development of the English language usually put two items at the top of the list as the primary forces shaping English-- Shakespeare's plays and the King James Bible.

So, not only is the KJV important in a religious sense, it has been an indispensable contribution to English language and expression.

We should indeed celebrate the influence of the KJV. But most importantly, through the KJV, the Lord has communicated His truth to sinners who desperately need His love, His grace, and His forgiveness.

Since: Jan 11

Jackson, TN

#5 Mar 6, 2011
The King James Bible has certainly withstood the test of time but we should always remember that there were several other english translations that were forefront.
Such as the Matthew's, Tyndale's, Bishop's or the Geneva's Bibles.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 6, 2011
Dickens wrote:
We should indeed celebrate the influence of the KJV. But most importantly, through the KJV, the Lord has communicated His truth to sinners who desperately need His love, His grace, and His forgiveness.
Come on Dickens, we talked about this in the other thread. You keep skipping the hard work of showing a magic super being exists. Let's do step one before claiming he wrote a book as convoluted as the Christian Bible. If a perfect being did exist he's not much of a story teller. Each time he's told the gospel to another writer he kept adding crap he forgot to mention before and even changing up major parts of the story. If you think about it, God actually sounds like an Alzheimers patient.

United States

#7 Mar 6, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Dickens, we talked about this in the other thread. You keep skipping the hard work of showing a magic super being exists. Let's do step one before claiming he wrote a book as convoluted as the Christian Bible. If a perfect being did exist he's not much of a story teller. Each time he's told the gospel to another writer he kept adding crap he forgot to mention before and even changing up major parts of the story. If you think about it, God actually sounds like an Alzheimers patient.
God has not forgot you and God loves you.
Free Period

United States

#8 Mar 6, 2011
The vast majority of the KJV came from Tyndale's. The difference was that a translation was needed to be read aloud in church, meaning the translators' emphasis was not so much on accuracy (as Tyndale's was accurate), as it was on euphony and musicality. Since the text was not primarily meant for silent reading, but for the ear, audible rhythm was of supreme importance. In that sense the KJV's 400th is an historic anniversary because it made the oral reading of the Bible in the English language available to the frequently illiterate and under educated church-going masses.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 13, 2011
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
God has not forgot you and God loves you.
LOL, did he send you a letter or something?

Agdistis, Ah Puch, Ahura Mazda, Alberich, Allah, Amaterasu, An
Anansi, Anat, Andvari, Anshar, Anu, Aphrodite, Apollo, Apsu, Ares, Artemis, Asclepius, Athena, Athirat, Athtart, Atlas have not forgotten you and they love you very much.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Pale Blue Dot

#10 Mar 13, 2011
Flashback:

Notes on Religion in 16th Century Europe

Having a fear of God was still seen as a requirement for being a good person. And these were also times of sensuality, in Italy perhaps more so than in England, the English tending to see the Italians as more morally corrupt. It was in Italy -- more densely populated than England -- that the Renaissance had begun, and with the Renaissance caame more liberalism in sensuality. The English saw their only great city, London (population 120,000), as more sinful than the rest of their country. London was seen as a place of pleasure and freedom. Relations between men and women were more casual there than elsewhere in England.

On the European continent many people accepted prostitution in accord with Augustine's belief that it prevented worse sins. A few had been railing against prostitution, but since the later Middle Ages licensed houses of prostitution had been common in urban centers and taken for granted. In Calvinist Geneva, authorities stood guard in the houses of prostitution, allowing single men to enter and turning married men away.

Prostitution aside, the people of Europe were grasping for moral guidance. Many were impressed by developments in Geneva. Calvinism spread from Geneva into France, where it came into conflict with Catholicism. Catholics and Protestants in France wanted to rid their communities of corruption, and they saw corruption in each other's religion. Bigotry regarding morality was itself a moral problem, and it produced what in the 21st century would be considered extremism. Protestant ministers and Catholic priests encouraged assaults on their rival faith, bringing more war between Catholics and Protestants. Crowds of Protestants attacked and killed Catholics, smashed statues and stained glass windows, and they defiled sacred vestments, vessels and Eucharistic elements. French commerce declined and agriculture suffered as the crops in many areas were destroyed in the anarchy. The upheaval in France has been described as the greatest bloodshed in France's history aside from the French Revolution that would come two centuries later.

thatsbd

Jackson, TN

#11 Mar 13, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
<quoted text>Come on Dickens, we talked about this in the other thread. You keep skipping the hard work of showing a magic super being exists. Let's do step one before claiming he wrote a book as convoluted as the Christian Bible. If a perfect being did exist he's not much of a story teller. Each time he's told the gospel to another writer he kept adding crap he forgot to mention before and even changing up major parts of the story. If you think about it, God actually sounds like an Alzheimers patient.
I like your rational thinking, they never mention all the stuff they left out.Biased thinking is my opinion

Location hidden

#12 Mar 13, 2011
The world holds two classes of men – intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.– Abu’l?Ala al Ma’arri
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#13 Mar 13, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
The world holds two classes of men – intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.– Abu’l?Ala al Ma’arri
Tell me honestly, Free Thinker, do you believe that statement?
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#14 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
BECAUSE THERE IS A GOD by Leo Tolstoy
Now he had learnt to see the great, the eternal, and the infinite in everything; and naturally therefore, in order to see it, to revel in its contemplation, he flung aside the telescope through which he had hitherto been gazing over men's heads, and looked joyfully at the ever-changing, ever grand, unfathomable, and infinte life around him. And the closer he looked at it, the calmer and happier he was. The terrible question that had shattered all his intellectual edifices in old days, the question: What for? had no existenece for him now. To that question, What for? he had now always ready in his soul the simple answer: Because there is a God, that God without whom not one hair of a man's head falls.

You do know who Leo Tolstoy is? He is that great Russian author of "War and Peace".

“Trying to figure it all out!”

Since: Mar 11

jackson tn

#15 Mar 14, 2011
Dickens wrote:
<quoted text>BECAUSE THERE IS A GOD by Leo Tolstoy
Now he had learnt to see the great, the eternal, and the infinite in everything; and naturally therefore, in order to see it, to revel in its contemplation, he flung aside the telescope through which he had hitherto been gazing over men's heads, and looked joyfully at the ever-changing, ever grand, unfathomable, and infinte life around him. And the closer he looked at it, the calmer and happier he was. The terrible question that had shattered all his intellectual edifices in old days, the question: What for? had no existenece for him now. To that question, What for? he had now always ready in his soul the simple answer: Because there is a God, that God without whom not one hair of a man's head falls.

You do know who Leo Tolstoy is? He is that great Russian author of "War and Peace".
My opinion: man becomes frustrated when the resources are not available to answer a question.....leading to the easiest answer of "God" did it. This gives man emotional closure.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#16 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
Here is my creed. I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshipped. That the most acceptable service we render Him is doing good to His other children. That the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

I feel within me the future life. I am like a forest that has once been razed: the new shoots most certainly rise toward the heavens....Some say the soul results merely from bodily powers. Why, then, does my soul become brighter when my bodily powers begin to waste away? Winter is above me, but eternal spring is within my heart....For half a century I have been translating my thoughts into prose and verse; history, philosophy, drama, romance, tradition, satire, ode, and song; all of these have I tried. But I feel that I haven't given utterance to the thousandth part of what lies within me. When I go to the grave I can say as other have said, "My day's work is done." But I cannot say, "My life is done." My day's work will recommence the next morning. The tomb is not a blind alley; it is a thoroughfare. It closes upon the twilight, but opens upon the dawn. VICTOR HUGO

Our Creator would never have made such lovely days, and have given us the deep hearts to enjoy them, above and beyond all thought, unless we were meant to be immortal. NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE

The country is both the philosopher's garden and library, in which he reads and contemplates the power, wisdom, and goodness of God. WILLIAM PENN
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#17 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
Almighty God; we make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy holy protection; that Thou wilt incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government...And finally that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation. Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. GEORGE WASHINGTON

God reveals Himself unfailingly to the thoughtful seeker. HONORE DE BALZAC

If we work upon marble, it will perish; if on brass, time will efface it; if we rear temples, they will crumble into dust; but if we work upon immortal minds, and imbue them with principles, with the just fear of God and love of our fellow men, we engrave on those tablets something that will brighten to all eternity. DANIEL WEBSTER
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#18 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
The simple and the unlearned can lay claim to great intelligence too:

A SIOUX PRAYER
Grandfather, Great Spirit, you have been always, and before you nothing has been. There is no one to pray to but you. The star nations all over the heavens are yours, and yours are the grasses of the earth. You are older than all need, older than all pain and prayer.
Grandfather, Great Spirit, all over the world the faces of living ones are alike. With tenderness they have come up out of the ground. Look upon your children, with children in their arms, that they may face the winds and walk the good road to the day of quiet.
Grandfather, Great Spirit, fill us with the light. Give us the strength to understand and the eyes to see. Teach us to walk the soft earth as relatives to all that live.
Help us, for without you we are nothing.
Dickens

Ripley, TN

#19 Mar 14, 2011
FreeThinker82 wrote:
I would venture to say that there are 4 classes of men:

1. Intelligent men without religion
2. Religious men without intelligence
3. Intelligent men with religion
4. Fools
yeah but

Jackson, TN

#20 Mar 14, 2011
sure, dickens, but according to free thinker, your two previous posts quoted religious idiots. He said that any religious man was without intelligence, so, let's see how he responds to your posts. Bet it takes him a minute. He will have to google some info for a rebuttal (consisting of some pretty predictable stuff, i imagine.)

These 'free thinkers' seem so sure of themselves, yet slam Christians for being the same.

They think they have it all figured out, yet criticize others for the same.

They condescend sooooo arrogantly, while accusing believers of the same.

They all quote the same few authors and present the same handful of arguments, while accusing believers of being simplistic automatons spewing out the 'party line'.

Apparently, these 'free thinkers' don't appreciate the concept of irony.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Freed-Hardeman University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shannon, Haynes engaged to marry (Jan '14) Jan '14 jnhan 1
Michael dunnavant (Nov '13) Nov '13 Just wondering 1
El Dorado Minister Named Harding University Vic... (Apr '13) Apr '13 roboblogger2 1
FHU's annual Bible Lectureship begins Sunday, f... (Feb '13) Feb '13 JustChristian 1
Lectureship a signature event for FHU, community (Feb '11) Feb '13 JustChristian 2
Local briefs: Woman shot on Gordon Street; man ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 amazing 1
Social Clubs- Who's the best? (Nov '12) Nov '12 clubbasher 1
•••

Freed-Hardeman University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••