West Tennessee liquor referendums have religious, political, economic flavor

Sep 30, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Jackson Sun

Henderson Mayor Bobby King says he will vote in favor of liquor sales in his community this fall because of the potential for economic growth and increased tax revenue.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of76
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Your Friend told you the truth. People don't care what you do as long as it doesn't affect them or their Lives. And most People have a Mini Bar in their home and the first thing they'll do when you walk in, is ask you if you would like a drink, meaning alcohol and if you refuse, they will then offer you a soft drink.
Learned_the_hard _way

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

Bubba wrote:
Really I agree with you I have a friend who lives in
a bigger town and he says you might live there 5
years and not even know your neighbors. Also he
said they don't try to keep up with your business
like they do here because they are to busy working
or enjoying their leisure time. Apparently they
have other hobbies besides Gossip like people do
here. It's really sad just how bored people are
here with their own lives to try to keep up
with others so much.
This is SOO true. Funny how henderson never seems to grow, but more and more people live here. Why is this (FHU??) Someone is holding business growth back just like the liquor sales and it is costing the town dearly. The kids have nothing to do but drink, take pills and gossip. I grew up in a big city and it was never as bad as Henderson. Didnt have to drive 20 miles to get what i needed, or to find a fun activity that was worthwhile.
Please city council, WAKE UP and quit letting whoever it is pressuring you into keeping henderson shut down!!
bigandnotrich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

Equality wrote:
How many deaths from drunk drivers are the taxes worth?

booze kills more people then all other dope combined.

If you drink you are as much a dope-head as a heroin user.
Already deaths from DUIs and it isn't sold here yet. Deaths from driving and cell phone use and you can buy those at Wal Mart. People are going to drink and buy liquor just makes sense to collect the taxes. Bruceton, New johnsonville and Paris are all within a few miles and easy to get to so having stores closer won't make a difference. The bible speaks of wine numerous times and I personally don't believe it contradicts itself. So when the scripture says be you not drunk with wine then I take it that it wasn't just grape juice they were downing in those days. I believe within moderation is not a sin. Alcohol in different medicines has been around for ages and I would bet the liquor haters have used it in some shape or form

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

bigandnotrich wrote:
<quoted text>
Already deaths from DUIs and it isn't sold here yet. Deaths from driving and cell phone use and you can buy those at Wal Mart. People are going to drink and buy liquor just makes sense to collect the taxes. Bruceton, New johnsonville and Paris are all within a few miles and easy to get to so having stores closer won't make a difference. The bible speaks of wine numerous times and I personally don't believe it contradicts itself. So when the scripture says be you not drunk with wine then I take it that it wasn't just grape juice they were downing in those days. I believe within moderation is not a sin. Alcohol in different medicines has been around for ages and I would bet the liquor haters have used it in some shape or form
Believe it or not, I totally agree and think you made some very good and valid Points.
common sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Ok some very good points brought out here: Anti-drinkers seem to make this into a moral issue about drinking anything at all, while drinkers can't understand why henderson doesn't sell it.
The big picture here is that the people of this town are trying to change things. This is an excellent start to bring more tax dollars here. Try not to make this a moral issue but a start in people's honest effort to Help this town progress forward. If we let local colleges impact our business growth any more this town will just dry up and blow away. Instead of arguing about whether its wrong or write; let's try to work together to make this town a place you can get a job or make a good living,and raise a family without using the welfare system. New business brings jobs and helps our economy. Whether or not you drink is a personal decision and will never help bring tax dollars!
Fairness

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

overit wrote:
<quoted text> that is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time! Peaple are going to drink reguardless! Its legal! So why not buy liquor in our own county instead of one of the surrounding counties!
Some people are going to rape children so make it legal!
Some people are going to drive drunk so make it legal!
Some people are going to use illegal dope (booze is dope) so make it legal.

When they consider drunk driving as ATTEMPTED MURDER with a 5 yr of hard labor sentence for the first offense and call killing while drunk murder and execute them I will support legal booze.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Fairness wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people are going to rape children so make it legal!
When they consider drunk driving as ATTEMPTED MURDER with a 5 yr of hard labor sentence for the first offense and call killing while drunk murder and execute them I will support legal booze.
Let's just all meet down at the Local Bar and talk about it! Whatta say?
bigandnotrich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Fairness wrote:
<quoted text>Some people are going to rape children so make it legal!

I agree with stiffer sentences but linking it to rape of a child? You must be taking a nip yourself. Drinking alcohol is perfectly legal. Striking a match and firing a gun is also but if you intentionally burns someone's house down or shoot someone is illegal and you should be punished. God gave everyone common sense to use. Prescription drugs can be classified as dope but I would bet if you hurt your back or broke your leg you'd be begging for some. The use of alcohol has been perfectly legal since before this country was founded. Even our founding fathers brewed beer, made wine and distilled liquor. Would you call them dope dealers or users?
bigandnotrich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Fairness wrote:
<quoted text>Some people are going to rape children so make it legal!

Read up on your history.
ConcernedCitizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Yes,the referendum IS on the ballot because I got my vote in already thanks to early voting. People are going to drink regardless of where they buy the stuff. Better to keep the money here in Chester County. I also voted against that damn wheel tax. My property taxes have already gone up and why should the good old boys get any more of my hard earned money?? They were the ones that got us into this mess...let them squirm awhile trying to get us out of this. Why should we have to pay,and twice at that,for the mis-management of our tax dollars? Maybe I am cutting off my nose to spite my face,but I am oh-so-tired of being nickle and dimed to death.
hahaha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

ConcernedCitizen wrote:
Yes,the referendum IS on the ballot because I got my vote in already thanks to early voting. People are going to drink regardless of where they buy the stuff. Better to keep the money here in Chester County. I also voted against that damn wheel tax. My property taxes have already gone up and why should the good old boys get any more of my hard earned money?? They were the ones that got us into this mess...let them squirm awhile trying to get us out of this. Why should we have to pay,and twice at that,for the mis-management of our tax dollars? Maybe I am cutting off my nose to spite my face,but I am oh-so-tired of being nickle and dimed to death.
AMEN...THANKS FOR YOUR VOTE

Since: May 11

Hurst, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

http://m.topix.com/forum/city/murray-ky/TVS1H...

Murray voted in and then city coumcil put highest tax in state on it
Christian

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Judged:

hahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN...THANKS FOR YOUR VOTE
People are going to cheat on their spouses, rape children, and murder despite the law so why not make all of that "legal" and taxed???

DRUNK DRIVERS SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED MURDER AND SENTENCED TO 5 YRS OF HARD LABOR (12 HRS A DAY, 6 DAYS A WEEK) FOR THE FIRST OFFENSE.
bigandnotrich

Camden, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Judged:

Christian wrote:
<quoted text>People are going to cheat on their spouses, rape children, and murder despite the law so why not make all of that "legal" and taxed???

DRUNK DRIVERS SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED MURDER AND SENTENCED TO 5 YRS OF HARD LABOR (12 HRS A DAY, 6 DAYS A WEEK) FOR THE FIRST OFFENSE.
Let's see, aren't your 3 examples of people breaking some of the commandments? I don't think drinking alcohol made it into that list. Your going a little extreme there.
bigandnotrich

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Christian wrote:
<quoted text>People are going to cheat on their spouses, rape children, and murder despite the law so why not make all of that "legal" and taxed???

Again the Bible speaks of drinking wine multiple times in the scripture. Jesus even turns water into wine in one instance. It even states to be not drunk with wine, it doesn't say not to drink wine. Again my personal feeling is God's word doesn't contradict itself.
bigandnotrich

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Christian wrote:

Can you name one instance where it states not to drink wine?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Judged:

bigandnotrich wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see, aren't your 3 examples of people breaking some of the commandments? I don't think drinking alcohol made it into that list. Your going a little extreme there.
I believe the intent was to be extreme, to point out the fanaticism that 'Christian' is exhibiting. The kind of fanatic behavior that we usually associate with Muslims in the Middle East. The 'lets kill everyone who doesn't believe like I do' mentality.
Sorry, but I cannot nor will I ever support such extremist ideology.
yankee

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Really Sassy wrote:
What happened to the Petition to put Liquor Sales on the ballot here? Did it get enough signatures?
Linda if you would have purchased this weeks chronicle you would have seen a sample ballot with the liquor yes or no places to vote. see even a paper you claim is "not a real paper" can have the info you are seeking printed in its contents. i know you ask this question about a month ago. just saying get out of the house
and find the answers to your questions

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

bigandnotrich wrote:
<quoted text>
Again the Bible speaks of drinking wine multiple times in the scripture. Jesus even turns water into wine in one instance. It even states to be not drunk with wine, it doesn't say not to drink wine. Again my personal feeling is God's word doesn't contradict itself.
And...they have found great Health Benefits in drinking 2 glasses of Red wine each day. I tried it for a short Period of time, but not long enough to develop a taste for it, so I lost interest and stopped.
BTW, the cheaper wine has the greatest amount of the stuff that's healthy for you. Just don't drink more than 2 glasses a day or the Health benefits are outdone by the bad elements. Any amount up to 2 glasses a day is good for you, but the maximum benefit is reached at the 2 glasses a day, but no more than that! And you don't have to drink the two glasses all at the same time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Linda if you would have purchased this weeks chronicle you would have seen a sample ballot with the liquor yes or no places to vote. see even a paper you claim is "not a real paper" can have the info you are seeking printed in its contents. i know you ask this question about a month ago. just saying get out of the house
and find the answers to your questions
Uh, did it occur to you that I might have gotten the answer to my question in the past month, since I made that Post???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of76
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Freed-Hardeman University Discussions

Search the Freed-Hardeman University Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Shannon, Haynes engaged to marry (Jan '14) Jan '14 jnhan 1
Michael dunnavant (Nov '13) Nov '13 Just wondering 1
El Dorado Minister Named Harding University Vic... (Apr '13) Apr '13 roboblogger2 1
FHU's annual Bible Lectureship begins Sunday, f... (Feb '13) Feb '13 JustChristian 1
Lectureship a signature event for FHU, community (Feb '11) Feb '13 JustChristian 2
Local briefs: Woman shot on Gordon Street; man ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 amazing 1
Social Clubs- Who's the best? (Nov '12) Nov '12 clubbasher 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••