Police: Gay Colo. College Student Bod...

Police: Gay Colo. College Student Body President Faked Hate Crimes

There are 10 comments on the EDGEptown.com News Feed story from Nov 18, 2010, titled Police: Gay Colo. College Student Body President Faked Hate Crimes. In it, EDGEptown.com News Feed reports that:

The openly gay student body president of a college in Durango, Colorado, has been accused of falsifying reports of anti-gay harassment to police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGEptown.com News Feed.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#1 Nov 18, 2010
If it's true - then through the book at him.

People like him undo all the hard work and effort of thousands of gay activists who play by the rules and within the rules to affect real and meaningful change to gain equality for all LGBTQ people.

I have no sympathy for people like this and they deserve the harshest punishments legally allowed.

Eric

“Hide Yo Kids, Hide Yo Wife!”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 18, 2010
Incidents like this make a mockery of those who have suffered true persecution due to race and orientation issues.

I am not gay and not a minority, but some of the people in my life dearest to me are. This type of thing sets the cause of justice and equality back.

Shame on him. If he's mentally ill, I hope he gets help, but I still hope he is held accountable for what he's done.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Nov 18, 2010
It was bound to happen sooner or later. It probably won't be the last time.

We need to foster more discipline in our ranks.

On the lighter side, he WAS an elected politician. Are we all THAT surprised ?

Since: Jan 07

Ann Arbor, MI

#4 Nov 19, 2010
There are enough people suffering from real violence and harassment already - we don't need manufactured martyrs.

If it's true that he made false reports, then I agree - throw the book at him. It's an insult to those of us who have faced the real thing and worked so hard to combat it.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#6 Nov 19, 2010
Falsifying police reports....the punishment? A slap on the wrist?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 19, 2010
He should be charged with a hate crime

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#8 Nov 19, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
He should be charged with a hate crime
Actually, I think that's appropriate.

Eric

Location hidden

#9 Nov 19, 2010
The hate crime laws are really bad. You can be acquitted and then tried again for the same crime only charged with a hate crime. It seems so illegal to me
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I think that's appropriate.
Eric

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#10 Nov 19, 2010
Honest AbeL wrote:
The hate crime laws are really bad. You can be acquitted and then tried again for the same crime only charged with a hate crime. It seems so illegal to me
<quoted text>
I doubt you can find case law that supports what you say, but I'm open to it if you can find it (try FindLaw or Lexis/Nexis - I did).

However, hate crimes are a form of domestic terrorism and every court in the nation has found them to be VERY legal and VERY constitutional. You may not like them, but wiser and more learned minds than either of us, and more of them, have said they are legal and constitutional.

The burden of proof is very high in proving hate crimes which is why they are so rarely invoked.

Eric

Location hidden

#11 Nov 19, 2010
Here you go

http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/00348...
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt you can find case law that supports what you say, but I'm open to it if you can find it (try FindLaw or Lexis/Nexis - I did).
However, hate crimes are a form of domestic terrorism and every court in the nation has found them to be VERY legal and VERY constitutional. You may not like them, but wiser and more learned minds than either of us, and more of them, have said they are legal and constitutional.
The burden of proof is very high in proving hate crimes which is why they are so rarely invoked.
Eric

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lewis College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Honoring Native American culture (Nov '14) Nov '14 Also 6
News Chamber Announces New President (May '12) May '12 KFC 8
More from around the web