Are religious liberties at risk?

Are religious liberties at risk?

There are 31 comments on the The Daily Times story from Feb 12, 2012, titled Are religious liberties at risk?. In it, The Daily Times reports that:

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution In Griswold vs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Let Them Live”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#1 Feb 12, 2012
Probably. This is the beginning.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 12, 2012
This is the area of the country I grew up in. Small towns, a lot of farmers (we gave the world Perdue chicken, lol), wonderful down to earth people. The biggest Catholic church in the area, complete with school. I have to say that I was quite proud of the majority of those who commented, some of whom are Catholic. It seems they understand the situation fully, and know that this is not taking anyone's right to freely practice their religion away. Kudos to you, Delmarva.
Anne

Washington, DC

#3 Feb 12, 2012
Bitner wrote:
This is the area of the country I grew up in. Small towns, a lot of farmers (we gave the world Perdue chicken, lol), wonderful down to earth people. The biggest Catholic church in the area, complete with school. I have to say that I was quite proud of the majority of those who commented, some of whom are Catholic. It seems they understand the situation fully, and know that this is not taking anyone's right to freely practice their religion away. Kudos to you, Delmarva.
My brother's former wife is a Catholic, and she comes from a family that definitely uses birth control. I suspect that there are those in the hierarchy that will not be satisified no matter what adjustment the president has made. You are right in saying this is not about right to practice religion but about ensuring that women have access to birth control which reduces the demands for the abortions so abhorrent to the hierarchy.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4 Feb 12, 2012
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother's former wife is a Catholic, and she comes from a family that definitely uses birth control. I suspect that there are those in the hierarchy that will not be satisified no matter what adjustment the president has made. You are right in saying this is not about right to practice religion but about ensuring that women have access to birth control which reduces the demands for the abortions so abhorrent to the hierarchy.
Oh, yes. I grew up Catholic, and most of my extended family are still Catholic. The church, by opposing birth control, only proves that the real issue for them is to make sure as many Catholics have as many kids as possible, to increase their numbers. And that the issue of insurance coverage is because they know their own parishoners will also avail themselves of birth control, and THAT is what they find objectionable.
Mot Mot

United States

#5 Feb 12, 2012
A Baby is Life wrote:
Probably. This is the beginning.
The beginning of the religious morons making an even bigger collective fool of themselves. Are you starting it off Chicken Little?
Mot Mot

United States

#6 Feb 12, 2012
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
They rail against abortion and they rail against birth control. Morons All!
Mot Mot

United States

#7 Feb 12, 2012
Just the beginning says Chicken Little.

Just the beginning of common sense prevailing!

Don't want abortions?

Then don't stand in the way of women getting birth control.

Jesus freaks just don't think!

Long Night Moon

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 12, 2012
Religious liberty?

Sounds like an oxymoron.
one

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#9 Feb 12, 2012
There is no such thing as RELIGEOUS LIBERTIES that is a oxymoran,Religion is restrictive.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#10 Feb 12, 2012
There are two great abominations that are headed for a cultural war. Muslimism and X-tianity. Muslimism is a perversion of the OT. X-tianity, because it for the most part ignores the OT, therefore perverts the NT and combines it with paganism. And the only thing saving the Jews for 2700 years imo, is that they have kept the Sabbath.

http://www.nazarite.net/home.html

http://thereligionofpeace.com/
one

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#11 Feb 12, 2012
.......That should be all religions
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#12 Feb 12, 2012
That's what I consider religion - an organized perversion of truth.

“Let Them Live”

Location hidden

#13 Feb 12, 2012
You sound a little angry. LMAO. Is Petey hiding under your robe nursing, tubs?
Mot Mot wrote:
<quoted text>
The beginning of the religious morons making an even bigger collective fool of themselves. Are you starting it off Chicken Little?

“Let Them Live”

Location hidden

#14 Feb 12, 2012
More anger. You might want to deal with that.
Mot Mot wrote:
Just the beginning says Chicken Little.
Just the beginning of common sense prevailing!
Don't want abortions?
Then don't stand in the way of women getting birth control.
Jesus freaks just don't think!

bluestreak defiant

“I'm too sexy for this forum!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#15 Feb 15, 2012
A Baby is Life wrote:
You sound a little angry. LMAO. Is Petey hiding under your robe nursing, tubs?<quoted text>
If so, she should throw him a scooby snack and send him on his fairy little way.

“Let Them Live”

Location hidden

#16 Feb 16, 2012
Ha!!
bluestreak defiant wrote:
<quoted text>
If so, she should throw him a scooby snack and send him on his fairy little way.

bluestreak defiant

“I'm too sexy for this forum!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#17 Feb 17, 2012
A Baby is Life wrote:
Ha!!<quoted text>
Seriously, do you see how fanatic these people get? The media depicts them as moderate and conciliatory, the only time a prolifer can get any press is if a bunch of prolifers get arrested at a demonstration! Blame it on the media.

“Let Them Live”

Location hidden

#18 Feb 17, 2012
I do, for a fact!
bluestreak defiant wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, do you see how fanatic these people get? The media depicts them as moderate and conciliatory, the only time a prolifer can get any press is if a bunch of prolifers get arrested at a demonstration! Blame it on the media.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#19 Feb 17, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes. I grew up Catholic, and most of my extended family are still Catholic. The church, by opposing birth control, only proves that the real issue for them is to make sure as many Catholics have as many kids as possible, to increase their numbers. And that the issue of insurance coverage is because they know their own parishoners will also avail themselves of birth control, and THAT is what they find objectionable.
Regardless of what you think, the Church will never succumb to this mandate as is their right.
Anne

Washington, DC

#21 Feb 18, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of what you think, the Church will never succumb to this mandate as is their right.
They don't have to, but the fact that so many Catholic women do use birth control makes them look foolish and out of touch. They sit in their ivory towers and make edicts like birth control and abortion being unacceptable. It's circular reasoning from folks who do not have families they have to support, so it's easy for them when they don't have to face the realities that most folks out here struggle with regardless of our own faiths. The Congressional Republicans look even more foolish joining them, because there are more women than men,and we do vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fordham University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NY assigns 12 investigators to campus rape cases (Sep '15) Sep '15 Ralph 1
News Black TV Personalities Break Down Why Black Wom... (May '15) Jun '15 Guest 29
News Grieving friends recall Orthodox priest who for... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Tom Clancy 1
News UK comedian spurring US to action (Mar '15) Mar '15 jeffry 1
News Pope's visit to stoke climate fight (Jan '15) Jan '15 SpaceBlues 1
News Alaska voters upset about public-shaming mailer... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Elise Gingerich 1
News Missing Malaysian airliner lawsuits, if filed, ... (Apr '14) Oct '14 _malon_goblok 3
More from around the web