Lake City Community College trustees ...

Lake City Community College trustees back name change

There are 13 comments on the Gainesville.com The Gainesville Sun Gainesville, FL story from Dec 3, 2009, titled Lake City Community College trustees back name change. In it, Gainesville.com The Gainesville Sun Gainesville, FL reports that:

Published: Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 6:01 a.m. Last Modified: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 10:34 p.m. Lake City Community College is one step closer to a new name - Florida Gateway College.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gainesville.com The Gainesville Sun Gainesville, FL.

wes

Lehigh Acres, FL

#1 Feb 10, 2010
sound like a drug school
Goldenrod

Branford, FL

#2 Feb 10, 2010
sounds like some kind of half-way institution, maybe after drug re-hab or prison.

“Shed so many tears”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 11, 2010
Lake City is known as the GATEWAY to Florida. Anybody coming from the North going South has to pass through LC. I think the name is fine and appropriate!
Goldenrod

Fort White, FL

#4 Feb 11, 2010
I've seen the billboard that refers to Lake City as the gateway to Florida but of course it really isn't since road traffic must pass through Hamilton County first in order to get to Columbia County.

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#5 Feb 15, 2010
Goldenrod wrote:
I've seen the billboard that refers to Lake City as the gateway to Florida but of course it really isn't since road traffic must pass through Hamilton County first in order to get to Columbia County.
FYI It's considered the "Gateway" also because it's the only surrounding county with two major Interstates running through it. I-10 and I-75!
Goldenrod

Live Oak, FL

#6 Feb 16, 2010
JustdroppedIN - your post stated "anybody coming from the North going South." Anybody coming from the north going south has to pass through Hamilton County (the true gateway to enter Florida on I-75) in order to reach Lake City.

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#7 Feb 16, 2010
Goldenrod wrote:
JustdroppedIN - your post stated "anybody coming from the North going South." Anybody coming from the north going south has to pass through Hamilton County (the true gateway to enter Florida on I-75) in order to reach Lake City.
Are you talking about Jasper Fl.? If so your way off!
Goldenrod

High Springs, FL

#8 Feb 17, 2010
No, I said Hamilton County. It is my opinion that Lake City Community College is a more appropriate, more accurately descriptive, and certainly better sounding name than changing it to Gateway.

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#9 Feb 17, 2010
Perhaps they don't want to be known any longer as a 'community college' where everyone in the whole community can go! Changing their name probably means they're getting a different status as far as higher education schools go, and they're get more funding ... I don't know, but it's likely a money thing and not so much about what anyone else likes OR NOT!

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#10 Feb 19, 2010
Goldenrod wrote:
No, I said Hamilton County. It is my opinion that Lake City Community College is a more appropriate, more accurately descriptive, and certainly better sounding name than changing it to Gateway.
FYI Jasper Fl. is Hamilton County!
Goldenrod

Alachua, FL

#11 Feb 20, 2010
FYI - I do know that Jasper, Florida is located "IN" Hamilton County, Florida. I-75 does not run through the city of Jasper at the present time even though they have located water & sewer lines at the SR 6/I-75 intersection.

I do not comprehend what relevance any discussion of the city of Jasper has to do with changing the name of the Lake City college.

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#12 Feb 20, 2010
Goldenrod wrote:
FYI - I do know that Jasper, Florida is located "IN" Hamilton County, Florida. I-75 does not run through the city of Jasper at the present time even though they have located water & sewer lines at the SR 6/I-75 intersection.
I do not comprehend what relevance any discussion of the city of Jasper has to do with changing the name of the Lake City college.
My point exactly. I-75 DOES NOT run through Hamilton thus making it impossible to be considered the GATEWAY to FL as is Lake City is known for that matter because of it's 2 inerstate roadways. GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Just leave it alone, your making yourself look really idiotic!
Goldenrod

Fort White, FL

#13 Feb 21, 2010
JustdroppedIn - If you consult an official Florida highway map you will see that a person traveling on I-75 headed south from the Georgia border will travel approximately 30 miles through Hamilton County on I-75.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chemical Found in Cigarette Smoke Causes Heart ... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Hack Cough Cough ... 13
News Graduates often unprepared for college (Oct '11) Feb '12 _yernogood- 14
News Pico-Tesla starts pilot study of Magneceutical ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 HumanSpirit 1
florida"s best singing competition!! (Feb '09) Oct '10 Tomas 2
Fiu vs Fau (Jul '10) Jul '10 SavO 1
News Study: Cardiovascular Disease Risk Improves wit... (Jun '10) Jun '10 diet food 1
News 22-mile oil plume under Gulf nears rich waters (May '10) May '10 Robert 1
More from around the web