Is it OK to be a Counselor and Homoph...

Is it OK to be a Counselor and Homophobic?

There are 185 comments on the www.psychologytoday.com story from Feb 4, 2012, titled Is it OK to be a Counselor and Homophobic?. In it, www.psychologytoday.com reports that:

What do we do when personal and professional justification systems collide? If you are a counselor or a professional psychologist, to what extent do your personal beliefs and values need to align with those of the profession? A recent case involving a counselor in training is has brought this question to a head.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.psychologytoday.com.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 Feb 4, 2012
People should really by asking "Is it okay to be a counselor and a religionist?"

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#2 Feb 4, 2012
She refused to follow the counseling guidelines, but sued when she was told she had to. I think that as a teacher I should have been able to write my own curriculum, to heck with what the state mandates. RIGHT.........
Tucksun Jack

Tucson, AZ

#3 Feb 4, 2012
Is it ok to be anti-Semitic and a counselor ?

After all, one can choose not to follow the "Jewish lifestyle".

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4 Feb 4, 2012
One who had sexual orientation or gender issues would be a fool to go to such a 'therapist.' Actually, it would be highly unethical for any therapist to force their prejudices upon a client.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#5 Feb 4, 2012
Tucksun Jack wrote:
Is it ok to be anti-Semitic and a counselor ?
After all, one can choose not to follow the "Jewish lifestyle".
Don't be stupid.

If any medical counselor ever denounced a client's Judaism, or tried to "talk them out of it", they would be universally denounced, and probably disbarred.
Tucksun Jack

Tucson, AZ

#6 Feb 4, 2012
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be stupid.
If any medical counselor ever denounced a client's Judaism, or tried to "talk them out of it", they would be universally denounced, and probably disbarred.
That's obviously my point, which you obviously completely missed.

LOL

:)
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#7 Feb 4, 2012
Tucksun Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
That's obviously my point, which you obviously completely missed.
LOL
Wow.

You're showing tolerance for the gays?

You surprise me, Jack.
Tucksun Jack

Tucson, AZ

#8 Feb 4, 2012
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
You're showing tolerance for the gays?
You surprise me, Jack.
You are obviously an insane person.

Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#9 Feb 4, 2012
What about tolerance for straights who are genetically predisposed to reject homosexuality - to feel uncomfortable with it?

Homosexuality is genetic - but so is heterosexual rejection of homosexuality.

To ask a straight person to stop being uncomfortable with homosexuals is like asking gay people to stop being gay.

Early human groups associated homosexualiy with wasting limited resources (no chance of offspring) and the needless spread of disease. It is in our GENES to reject homosexuality.
Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#10 Feb 4, 2012
The reality is, there is not such thing as homophobia. A phobia is an irrational belief surrounding a condition.

Heterosexual discomfort with homosexuality is simple well grounded - it is not irrational, and in fact, it makes perfect sense.

Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#11 Feb 4, 2012
I meant so write....

The reality is, there is NO such thing as homophobia. A phobia is an irrational belief surrounding a condition.

Heterosexual discomfort with homosexuality is SIMPLY well grounded - it is not irrational, and in fact, it makes perfect sense.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#12 Feb 4, 2012
Early human groups....

You mean like the Greeks or the Romans?

When you make such asinine statements you just end up being a fool.
Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#13 Feb 4, 2012
McMike wrote:
Early human groups....
You mean like the Greeks or the Romans?
When you make such asinine statements you just end up being a fool.
No, you'll have to look back a little bit farther. Roughly 100 thousand (or more years).

It's in our DNA. Just like being gay is in the DNA.
The Troll Stopper

Salem, VA

#14 Feb 4, 2012
Atheist Liberal wrote:
The reality is, there is NO such thing as homophobia.
Explain Matthew Shepherd's murder, then.
Atheist Liberal wrote:
A phobia is an irrational belief surrounding a condition.
And the belief that gays are all AIDS-infected, child molesting perverts who chose to be gay that so many of your ilk believe most certainly IS irrational, bub.
Atheist Liberal wrote:
Heterosexual discomfort with homosexuality is SIMPLY well grounded - it is not irrational, and in fact, it makes perfect sense.
Oh yeah? Explain this, bigot boy:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/135764/americans-a...
Snip: "Americans' support for the moral acceptability of gay and lesbian relations crossed the symbolic 50% threshold in 2010. At the same time, the percentage calling these relations "morally wrong" dropped to 43%, the lowest in Gallup's decade-long trend....
"Acceptance for the legality of gay and lesbian relations has varied over the past decade, but, at 58% today, it is near the highest Gallup has measured (60% in 2003)."
So much your theories, boy. It sucks to be you.
Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#15 Feb 4, 2012
Don't hate me for being right. Embrace reality. Science and objectivity are not biased.

Let the truth hurt. Life hurts sometimes. It's good for you though.

Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#16 Feb 4, 2012
How should society deal with pedophiles and people who have a thing for farm animals? These conditions are related to homosexuality - they are all abnormal sexual feelings.

Should we demand equality for pedophiles and people who like to molest sheep? It's rediculous!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#17 Feb 4, 2012
Atheist Liberal wrote:
How should society deal with pedophiles and people who have a thing for farm animals? These conditions are related to homosexuality - they are all abnormal sexual feelings.
Should we demand equality for pedophiles and people who like to molest sheep? It's rediculous!
Not really but those things seem to be related to your personal delusions. what's up with that anyway? Opinionated much?
Atheist Liberal

San Francisco, CA

#18 Feb 4, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really but those things seem to be related to your personal delusions. what's up with that anyway? Opinionated much?
It's not my opinion, it's based upon evidence beyond a reasonable doupt - Just like within a court of law. We're dealing with the court of reality.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Accept reality and move on. Wake up from your emotional and myopic view of the world you live in.
The Troll Stopper

Salem, VA

#19 Feb 4, 2012
Atheist Liberal wrote:
Don't hate me for being right.
That's impossible, because you haven't said a damn thing that was right.
Atheist Liberal wrote:
Embrace reality.
Maybe you should follow your own advice, boy.
Atheist Liberal wrote:
Science and objectivity are not biased.
Oh, you mean like THIS science and objectivity?

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our...
Snip: "Our AMA:(1) believes that the physician's nonjudgmental recognition of sexual orientation and behavior enhances the ability to render optimal patient care in health as well as in illness.."

http://www.ct.gov/dcf/lib/dcf/prevention/pdf/...
Snip: "Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?
No, human beings can not choose to be either gay or straight. Sexual orientation emerges for most people in early adolescence
without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual
orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed."
Atheist Liberal wrote:
Let the truth hurt. Life hurts sometimes. It's good for you though.
Yeah, and the truth is you're still a homophobic bigot, and also that with every year that goes by, more of your kind will continue to die off, and more gay-tolerant folks like me will get closer to voting age. Time's not on your side, boy. Deal with it.
The Troll Stopper

Salem, VA

#20 Feb 4, 2012
Atheist Liberal wrote:
It's not my opinion, it's based upon evidence beyond a reasonable doupt - Just like within a court of law. We're dealing with the court of reality.
And the reality is that the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the World Health Organization, the American Counseling Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the National Association all agree that homosexuality isn't inherently harmful, isn't a choice and can't be changed. I'll gladly take their scientifically-proven, peer-reviewed word for it over the word of a knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing Neanderthal bigot like you any old day of the week.
Atheist Liberal wrote:
Wake up and smell the coffee. Accept reality and move on. Wake up from your emotional and myopic view of the world you live in.
You should try following your own advice, boy. Just a thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eastern Michigan University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eastern Michigan names diversity, inclusion com... Jan '17 Drain Jammy Washi... 7
News The Latest: Racist graffiti protested at Easter... Nov '16 RMG El Rey de Tra... 2
News For low-income students, gap years often elusive (May '16) May '16 Three Days 3
News Students learn about faith at Interfaith Dinner (Dec '15) Dec '15 Marie-Luise_J 1
News Muslim Student Association hosts Nature Walk (Jun '15) Jun '15 spankyham 7
News EMU's smoking ban is a good thing (May '15) May '15 Ohio loves bans 1
News Why debunked autism treatment fads persist (Feb '15) Feb '15 HumanSpirit 1
More from around the web