Pines middle school band teacher accused of molesting student

Jul 15, 2008 Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel 28

A longtime Broward middle school teacher is facing molestation charges after detectives recorded him apologizing to the 14-year-old victim and professing his love for her, police said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pines Middle Student

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Jul 15, 2008
i think this is crazy i was a student of mr.pittman's for 3 years and i was shocked when i found out he did that he was always a good teacher always funny and i never thought he would be the kind of person to do that i noticed he was always friendly wit girls and always gave them hugs but this is just insane
Another Former Pines kid

Miami, FL

#3 Jul 15, 2008
Mr. Pittman was the best teacher i ever had. I always joked around about him doing this because of his friendliness to girls. I would always get in trouble and the girls never would. Of course we were all just kidding but this is amazingly surprising. I actually kinda fell bad for him.
What a shame

Fort Myers, FL

#4 Jul 15, 2008
Pines Middle Student wrote:
i think this is crazy i was a student of mr.pittman's for 3 years and i was shocked when i found out he did that he was always a good teacher always funny and i never thought he would be the kind of person to do that i noticed he was always friendly wit girls and always gave them hugs but this is just insane
Did he give you a good grade if you let him feel you up?
Mr P Supporter

Orlando, FL

#5 Jul 16, 2008
"What a shame" must be a reflection on you. Mr. Pittman is an incredible man. This whole situation is a media spin and I am 100% behind him. He will be vindicated. "What a shame"...get a life.
Mr P Supporter

Orlando, FL

#6 Jul 16, 2008
If you were a student of his then you know better...
Its all about the chops

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Jul 16, 2008
C'mon people the guy admited it. They got him on tape telling a 14 year old he was in love with her.

He needs help and I'm sure his new cellmate Bubba will give it to him.
EX Pines middle student

United States

#8 Jul 16, 2008
do any one know the name of the girl??
Duh

Hollywood, FL

#9 Jul 16, 2008
EX Pines middle student wrote:
do any one know the name of the girl??
Who was your English teacher at Pines???
MARLON Band Class 96 - 99

Hialeah, FL

#10 Jul 17, 2008
"C'mon people the guy admited it. They got him on tape telling a 14 year old he was in love with her.

He needs help and I'm sure his new cellmate Bubba will give it to him. "

He's Black, works with Little Kids, and works in Pembroke Pines, you don't think this could have been set up?

I knew Mr. Pitman, and he was nice, but nice to everyone, even the little bad kids that never paid attention (me). He wouldn't do that. I find it easier to believe him being setup by the little girl (Who proably has a ribcage and that's it) then for him to do such a thing.

People who know Mr. Pitman know he wouldn't do something like this.
Pines Parent

United States

#11 Jul 18, 2008
We have been very close to the kids and Mr. Pittman for years. The news is devastating to ALL involved. Mr. Pittman is the reason my child made it though middle school. Something happened- we don't know exactly what and we don't know who. We have printed words on a page, not tone, not context. We DO know that everyone around this is forever changed.
Can we please remember that there are real people who ARE innocent connected to this- the families for one.
former student

Brockton, MA

#12 Jul 18, 2008
i was in his class 2007-08 and never thoght he was a freak!
Former student

Columbia, SC

#13 Jul 18, 2008
its unfortunate all this happened.... Mr. Pittman was like a father to me when i had none and he is the one that got me into music and on trumpet.... hard to see all of this go down
Fuzzy

United States

#15 Jul 18, 2008
Take him to the woods, strip him naked, nail his pecker to a tree stump and give him a very dull knife. I do not care how cool he was, now he is a child molester. He should never have been at the girl's house to begin with and absolutly had no reason to be touching her breasts, she is 14 for Gods sake. I can not beleive the school is allowing him to continue to work after he admitted it to police. The parents of the students should be outraged.
PARENT

United States

#16 Jul 19, 2008
MY SON TOLD ME AT HOME...MR.PITMAN IS MORE FRENDLINESS WITH THE GIRLS AND THE BOYS OF CORSE IN TROUBLE(.,YOU NEVER LISTEN TO THE BOYS,YOU IGNORE THEM)...it is very clear ....NOW !!!My child never lay.Shame of you mr.Pitman....and I am so glad I will not see you in that school any more !!! 14 years old......????
...Public school is really unpredictable!!Shame,shame,sha me..!!!!!!!
PLEASE mR.PRINCIPAL OF PINES MIDDLE ,COULD YOU PAY MORE ATENTION ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN THAT SCHOOL ?????..
Erika

United States

#17 Jul 19, 2008
I'm starting to wonder if there is a teacher kids can trust anymore? Sure makes you wonder.
free puppys

Nicholasville, KY

#18 Jul 20, 2008
i agree
Use spell check please

Hollywood, FL

#19 Jul 20, 2008
PARENT wrote:
MY SON TOLD ME AT HOME...MR.PITMAN IS MORE FRENDLINESS WITH THE GIRLS AND THE BOYS OF CORSE IN TROUBLE(.,YOU NEVER LISTEN TO THE BOYS,YOU IGNORE THEM)...it is very clear ....NOW !!!My child never lay.Shame of you mr.Pitman....and I am so glad I will not see you in that school any more !!! 14 years old......????
...Public school is really unpredictable!!Shame,shame,sha me..!!!!!!!
PLEASE mR.PRINCIPAL OF PINES MIDDLE ,COULD YOU PAY MORE ATENTION ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN THAT SCHOOL ?????..
I agree with what you are saying, but you sound like an incoherent idiot. Spelling and grammatical mistakes everywhere.
Mark Pellon

Oceanside, CA

#20 Jul 21, 2008
For all of you who think you know what happened:
Please tell me that you think you know because the media said so. You are probably the same people who believed the media when they said there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. You kind of people just dont learn to wait before you make your judgments on others. As for you Fussy your just stupid. I hope the next time you give someone you know and trust a hug they accuse you of rape and they cut your pecker off. Dont be so quick to judge people it mite bite you in the ass.
Fuzzy

United States

#21 Jul 21, 2008
Mark Pellon wrote:
For all of you who think you know what happened:
Please tell me that you think you know because the media said so. You are probably the same people who believed the media when they said there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. You kind of people just dont learn to wait before you make your judgments on others. As for you Fussy
your just stupid. I hope the next time you give someone you know and trust a hug they accuse you of rape and they cut your pecker off. Dont be so quick to judge people it mite bite you in the ass.
First off it's Fuzzy not Fussy. Secondly, the man admitted that he had touched this 14 year old CHILD inappropriatly. I feel that the only time a teacher should be hugging a student is at a graduation ceramony and even that is up for debate. Admission = guilt in my book....
Anonymous P-Pines Fl

United States

#22 Jul 27, 2008
Mr. Pittman was a great guy regardless of this situation. He is an awesome teacher and for most all who knew him he was an inspiration and source of admiration. As shocking as it is it would be naive for someone not to believe it, being that he admitted it. No one person is going to let someone force themselves into admitting something that is false, especially in such a drastic situation. There are few who have access to the depth of what the tapes said and I don't think anyone is qualified to make assumptions based on what the media says. It's exagerated. In Mr. Pittman's defense, if he did in fact do such, I truly believe it was a brain chemistry change because this is deviant of the man that has had such a profound positive impact on my life. It would be foolish of me to be in as much denial as some, but ignorant to speak as ruthless as those who didn't know him. I wish him the best of luck with all his hardships to come. I'm more than sure he has suffered more punishment than anytime behind bars could serve, being that the loss of respect and criticism from some have engraved a lifetime of guilt and regret in his heart. But sincerely, as for those who didn't know him personally who can speak so pitiless, I can't help but to think how ill-mannered you come across to be. My sympathy to the girl as well, and may she find the strength in the cruelty of gossip. The judgement is in God's hands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davis College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greenhouse gas reduction ideas sought at Woodla... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Sedgewick P Hunsa... 2
'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Congressional Hearing S... (Jul '08) Jul '08 SteveMD2 2
Incumbents face serious challenges Tuesday (Jul '08) Jul '08 Matthew Miller 1
More from around the web