Debating the age to drink

Debating the age to drink

There are 3 comments on the www.tampabay.com story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Debating the age to drink. In it, www.tampabay.com reports that:

The Duke University, Dartmouth College and Eckerd College presidents were among 100 college leaders calling for a discussion of lowering the drinking age to 18. They say current laws encourage binge drinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.tampabay.com.

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#1 Aug 20, 2008
Should the drinking age be lowered to 18?

On one side of the aisle, at age 18, one can serve and die for their country, smoke, vote, and drive a car. Why can't the age of drinking be 18? Afterall, at age 18, one can be convicted and tried for a crime even if it is DUI, etc.?

On the other side of the aisle, when the drinking age was raised to 21, drinking related traffic fatalities and accidents involving 16-20 year olds took a giant drop.

So, which argument is the best? Voice your opinion on this matter.

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#4 Aug 21, 2008
Yogi Bear wrote:
I lived in New York when I turned 18, where it was legal to drink at age 18. I do not think that fact made me an irresponsible driver, and I definitely did not drive after drinking. When I did have something to drink, it was usually w/other riders at or after hours of horse shows. I showed in a number of different states, and it was anomolous to travel to a state where although I was allowed to drink at age 18 in New York, I was not allowed in some of these other states until age 21.
I think the entire overindulgence in video games, drug culture, and cell phones is even more problematic among those under age 18, especially those who drive, than changing the drinking age to 18. Someone who is irresponsible at age 18 is likely to be irresponsible at age 25, so it seems to me the issue is one of a basic lack of proper responsibility among youth, rather than one of setting the drinking age to 18.
Presently, anyone who is 18 knows someone that is 21 that will get them a drink if they want one. It has only been 13 years since my 18th birthday where I could not "legally" drink, but if I wanted a beer or some other kind of drink, I knew someone that was 21 or older that could get it for me. It is not like I was driving around afterwards. I knew the affect that drinking had on me and I was always with someone that was responsible.

Should the age be lowered? Well, that is hard to say. It is easy for me to say "no" because I well past that 21 year old threshold, but the arguments provided for allowing an 18 year old to drink are very persuasive. If one can vote, smoke, and die for one's country, then why can't they have a brew?

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#5 Aug 21, 2008
Yogi Bear wrote:
StevenFL, I also wanted to mention, that is a marvelous picture of downtown Tampa you posted on the Tampa Forum homepage!!
There are two pictures, both of which were captured with my cell phone camera. The one with a lightning bolt (almost looks as if it is hitting the SunTrust Bank building) was captured with my older phone. The one of the FluTag event in Downtown was captured with a new camera. Both shots were taken from Tampa General Hospital. Which one are you referring to specifically?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dartmouth College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Students chide Dartmouth for lack of faculty di... (Jun '16) Feb '18 C Kersey 2
Bones Gate (Dartmouth Fraternity): Argumentatio... Jan '18 Abishai100 1
News On this day -- December 13 Dec '17 Thats me 18
News Dartmouth Student Wants Financial Aid And Legal... (Oct '17) Oct '17 spytheweb 2
News Dartmouth antifa expert was disavowed by his co... (Aug '17) Aug '17 C Kersey 1
News 'Black Lives Matter' Conference Talks Race, Mus... (Feb '17) Feb '17 former democrat 4
News Dartmouth Green on the campus of Dartmouth Coll... (Aug '16) Feb '17 Maltamon 7