22nd child abandoned at Neb. hospital...

22nd child abandoned at Neb. hospital under law :: PostStar.com

There are 5 comments on the www.poststar.com story from Oct 28, 2008, titled 22nd child abandoned at Neb. hospital under law :: PostStar.com. In it, www.poststar.com reports that:

A 15-year-old girl was abandoned by her father Tuesday night at an Omaha hospital, bringing to 22 the number of children left under the state's unique safe-haven law since it took effect in July.

Nebraska's safe-haven law, which took effect in July, is the only one in the country that lets caregivers leave children as old as 18 at a state-licensed hospital without fear of prosecution. The youngest child abandoned so far was only a year old; 12 of the 22 were teenagers. Three children were from other states, including Iowa, Michigan and Georgia.

Nebraska's law was intended to protect infants, but it did not define "child" in its wording. Most state lawmakers have agreed to amend the law when the Legislature reconvenes in January so that it applies only to infants up to 3 days old.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.poststar.com.

Raydene

Cobleskill, NY

#1 Oct 29, 2008
What will happen to these 22 children?
Are they put up for adoption or in foster homes?
I think it's a good thing because at least they are not starving on the street.
Have a great day
Raydene
needs to be older

Tunbridge, VT

#2 Oct 29, 2008
Raydene wrote:
What will happen to these 22 children?
Are they put up for adoption or in foster homes?
I think it's a good thing because at least they are not starving on the street.
Have a great day
Raydene
I don't think it should only be until they are 3 days old. Some parents realize after a couple of months, they just can't do it. I would say up to 12 years of age. It's better knowing these kids will be taken of, instead of being left alone and not cared for or beaten or whatever else happens to these poor children. I wish I had a bigger home because I would try to take kids in myself. It's a shame to se children suffer.....especially the ones that don't even have a voice yet. I hope they think about things before they revise this law to such a narrow group of babies.
a Karen

Schoharie, NY

#3 Oct 29, 2008
Unfortunately I think they all go to foster homes or "group" homes (where PINs and "troublemakers" end up) until they are of age- since it's rare they will be adopted at that age, that's a real bad time of life to have the rug pulled out from under you, don't you think? Another thing I've read is they mostly have psychological problems before they are relinquished. When the going gets tough...
a Karen

Schoharie, NY

#4 Oct 29, 2008
(my comment above was in reference to the point that many have been teens, considered unadoptable, generally)
Ticked off in Omaha

AOL

#5 Oct 31, 2008
Sadly, I know the father of the 22nd girl dropped off. It is so sad, and it really ticks me off that parents use that as a way to care for a rebellious teen rather than be a parent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Creighton University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Good news counters narrative of Oklahoma decline Mar '18 narrativebuilders 1
News Will physicians still give patients PSA test? (Feb '16) Nov '17 ReneeWilliamson 2
News Church-based institutions ponder same-sex benefits (Dec '14) Apr '17 OneWomynRiot 14
News Illegal Immigrant Leaves Blood on the Streets o... (Jul '15) Jun '16 Anti-Stump 7
News Marquette official chosen as Creighton president (Dec '14) Dec '14 Being Dri9ven Away 1
News Bishops Object As Catholic Universities Offer B... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Rainbow Kid 3
News Creighton University School of Law Position Ope... (Sep '14) Sep '14 anonymousnetrutht... 1