What leads gay, straight teens to att...

What leads gay, straight teens to attempt suicide?

There are 15 comments on the The Topeka Capital-Journal story from Apr 17, 2011, titled What leads gay, straight teens to attempt suicide?. In it, The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that:

Suicide attempts by gay teens - and even straight kids - are more common in politically conservative areas where schools don't have programs supporting gay rights, a study involving nearly 32,000 high school students found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Topeka Capital-Journal.

“You'll love me!”

Since: Sep 10

I promise.

#1 Apr 17, 2011
Well let's see, more conservative political areas are typically filled with loads of radical Christians, who almost never have anything nice to say. When you've seen the absolute worst in everyone it's hard to have any hope or faith at all. It doesn't surprise me in the least that suicide rates are higher as things get more conservative.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#2 Apr 17, 2011
If my only choice was living a 'christian' life, lying to everyone around me, gee .. I think I might consider pulling the plug as well!
Jrr

Kernersville, NC

#3 Apr 18, 2011
Yeah this is simple truth no body wants to lie to thier families but no right wing radical christian families will accept the gay son or daughter and thier chosen spouce of 18 yrs even kowing theother offsprings have more divorces attesting to how they govern thier own relationships

Since: Aug 10

Winona, TX

#4 Apr 18, 2011
well boys and girls try again.
personally i would say the young peoeple don't feel like what they are feeling inside is right a.... "think their is something wrong with me""why do i feel this way to jane doe (if a young lady)" "why do i feel this way to john doe (if a young man)" Then they hear mom or dad saiding " [email protected] Fags or Dike". So the young sure can talk to there family, or friends. Most young people don't want to kill themselfs but they don't want to be alone without friends, family, boy-girl- friend wise.The adults need to change their views .

Oh and we all know our mother knew we were different, special , gay way before we did.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#5 Apr 18, 2011
I think the results are valid, but not to belittle his work, I wonder if he made adjustments for urban vs. rural areas. Some suicides among youth there may be due not to conservativism but to boredom and hopelessnees. In Canada, there is a high suicide rate among aboriginal youth living in remote areas.

I'm just wondering if this might be part of the reason, especially for the straight ones who commit suicide. In the US, rural (with a few regional exceptions, mostly nothern areas) corresponds to conservative voting patterns.(Not so here in Canada, where some rural areas such as the Maritimes tend to vote liberal).

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#7 Apr 18, 2011
Pharmacutical Mind drugs. Even if you successfully go through the withdrawal the erratic thoughts will return years later.

Mind drugging of America

Death, violence and suicide by mind drugs

http://ssristories.com/index.php
Quagmire

Seattle, WA

#8 Apr 18, 2011
Anybody male who sucks a d!ck or takes a d!ck up his butt needs to commit suicide.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 Apr 18, 2011
Quagmire wrote:
Anybody male who sucks a d!ck or takes a d!ck up his butt needs to commit suicide.
Then what's your excuse for being alive, R1?

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Parksley, VA

#11 Apr 18, 2011
Quagmire wrote:
Your penetrating post reveals an issue of yours, alright. Praiz!
Mimi

Ottawa, Canada

#13 Apr 19, 2011
Why is everything about sex today. Cant you just say teens or young people or students. Why always mention the gay word or even the straight word. What a kids doing in school today. Dont they assign homework anymore. One would think from all the media attention that all they do in school is fornicate. Should minors even be having sex - NO. Do teens even graduate literate anymore. No more gay news please and no more comparing gay to straight either. In math is everything about gays squared or straight cosine. Is all spelling assuming they even teach it today about sex words. When I was in school there was no emphasis on sex. After school kids had homework and chores and some had part time jobs or piano lessons.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#14 Apr 19, 2011
Mimi wrote:
Why is everything about sex today. Cant you just say teens or young people or students. Why always mention the gay word or even the straight word. What a kids doing in school today. Dont they assign homework anymore. One would think from all the media attention that all they do in school is fornicate. Should minors even be having sex - NO. Do teens even graduate literate anymore. No more gay news please and no more comparing gay to straight either. In math is everything about gays squared or straight cosine. Is all spelling assuming they even teach it today about sex words. When I was in school there was no emphasis on sex. After school kids had homework and chores and some had part time jobs or piano lessons.
If you really are from Ottawa you are the dumbest Canuck I've heard yet.

Since: Apr 11

Hamilton, Canada

#15 Apr 19, 2011
Quagmire wrote:
No I'm pretty sure just stupid rude f*ck$. Like you do get a life

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Silver Spring, MD

#16 Apr 19, 2011
Mimi wrote:
You are a perfect example that schools apparently do not teach students how to reason.

The same acknowledgments of heterosexuality - proms, dating, home ec classes talking about married life, texts which portray romances, sex ed - should be inclusive of homosexuality. Same for covering the lives of historical figures.

Except you stinking, lying, ignorant bigots wish to disfranchise glbt people. Tough. Get ready for equality, you cretin.

Praiz!
Darren
#17 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Martie

UK

#18 Jan 30, 2014
I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/TRCx1y only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black Lives Matter is starting to echo a major ... Jul 25 ky man 3
News Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, ren... Jul 18 Little Robbie 11
Equity Analyst Internship Jul 6 WallStreetCC 1
News Gay men more likely to use condoms if they see ... Jun '16 Lucas 5
News Ex-drug dealer graduates at age 67 from Ivy Lea... May '16 Delaneyb 1
News Scientists should be careful with research on a... May '16 CDC Rep 1
News American Ivy League student who joined Daesh: '... May '16 Marie-Luise_J 3
More from around the web