252nd Birthday Ceremonies for Preside...

252nd Birthday Ceremonies for President James Monroe - James Monroe Birthplace, Colonial Beach, VA

There are 19 comments on the www.americantowns.com story from Feb 22, 2010, titled 252nd Birthday Ceremonies for President James Monroe - James Monroe Birthplace, Colonial Beach, VA. In it, www.americantowns.com reports that:

Colonial Beach, VA > Colonial Beach Events > 252nd Birthday Ceremonies for President James Monroe 252nd Birthday Ceremonies for President James Monroe date: Saturday, April 24, 2010 time: venue: James Monroe Birthplace address: Colonial Beach, VA 22443 View map from: James Monroe, 5th President of these United States of Americaa On New Year's Day, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.americantowns.com.

Riverwood Resident

King George, VA

#1 Feb 23, 2010
Woooooo! James Monroe u freaking rock! Little known fact: Monroe Bay is actually named after James Monroe. He rode his jet ski on it every summer until the civil war.
James Monroe Birthplace

Alexandria, VA

#2 Feb 23, 2010
It's that time of year again:sounds like fun!!!! http://www.americantowns.com/va/colonialbeach...

Since: Oct 08

King George, VA

#3 Feb 24, 2010
Riverwood Resident wrote:
Woooooo! James Monroe u freaking rock! Little known fact: Monroe Bay is actually named after James Monroe. He rode his jet ski on it every summer until the civil war.
Actually... it was a 24 foot Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV driven by his father, Spence, while James and his sister, Elizabeth, water skied behind the boat. His brothers, Spence, Andrew, and Joseph were not into water sports.(I know I'll catch some grief for this one... LOL)
VETNAM 2

Alexandria, VA

#4 Feb 24, 2010
Masterscout wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually... it was a 24 foot Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV driven by his father, Spence, while James and his sister, Elizabeth, water skied behind the boat. His brothers, Spence, Andrew, and Joseph were not into water sports.(I know I'll catch some grief for this one... LOL)
MS.....

I'll bet he didn't even know he was being Monitored...
H L Hunley

Alexandria, VA

#5 Feb 24, 2010
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
MS.....
Ouch!

King George, VA

#6 Feb 24, 2010
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
MS.....
Hey VN2... You notice that even when we are delibertly being silly... that they still throw snowballs with rocks in them?

Oh well... even a bad judgement is good I guess, because it means they read it, right? LOL

When You get a chance:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-411957

and:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-412696

let me know what you think ;-}
VETNAM 2

Olney, MD

#7 Feb 24, 2010
Masterscout wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey VN2... You notice that even when we are delibertly being silly... that they still throw snowballs with rocks in them?
Oh well... even a bad judgement is good I guess, because it means they read it, right? LOL
When You get a chance:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-411957
and:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-412696
let me know what you think ;-}
Roger that MS.....

Could be worse. In some places the local LEOs draw their weapons in a snowball fight.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Olney, MD

#8 Feb 25, 2010
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
MS.....
Masterscout:

Speaking of watercraft.....

Happy 148th Birthday to the USS MONITOR, the first ironclad warship commissioned by the U.S. NAVY, commissioned on this day in February 1862.

The ship was "ordered on 4 October 1861 and "laid down" by the end of that year. It was launched 30 January 1862 and comissioned on 25 February 1862.(There was a lot less paperwork thos days and it sped thru Congress quite readily.)

The USS MONITOR had a heavy round iron gun turret on its' deck, housing two 11 inch (280mm), catch this, "Dahlgren" guns, paired side by side.....

And so now you know another part of the "rest of the story".

VN2

King George, VA

#9 Feb 25, 2010
HAPPY BIRTHDAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Masterscout:
Speaking of watercraft.....
Happy 148th Birthday to the USS MONITOR, the first ironclad warship commissioned by the U.S. NAVY, commissioned on this day in February 1862.
The ship was "ordered on 4 October 1861 and "laid down" by the end of that year. It was launched 30 January 1862 and comissioned on 25 February 1862.(There was a lot less paperwork thos days and it sped thru Congress quite readily.)
The USS MONITOR had a heavy round iron gun turret on its' deck, housing two 11 inch (280mm), catch this, "Dahlgren" guns, paired side by side.....
And so now you know another part of the "rest of the story".
VN2
Hummm? I think you must have an entire set of "Jane's Fighting Ships" (the world-reknowned authority on the world's navies) setting right there next to your computer... Dontcha?
VETNAM 2

Olney, MD

#10 Feb 25, 2010
Masterscout wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummm? I think you must have an entire set of "Jane's Fighting Ships" (the world-reknowned authority on the world's navies) setting right there next to your computer... Dontcha?
ory

Masterscout.....

As a matter of fact, my Dad was a historian and VERY heavy into US Naval History, Civil War History, WWI and WWII, as well as Fire Deparment History (Volunteer and Paid) going back as far as Ben Franklin. He died on 26 July 1993 and I think of him every single day and all the knowledge he had in his head and in his library. He would correspond (by manual typewriter) and answer questions from across the U.S. as well as other countries and he wouldn't be shy about correcting other authors when they had their facts wrong. He was a Judge of Fire Apparatus (both antique and modern) for Fire Department Parades in many states East of the Mississippi. He was also a Volunteer Fire Chief in Philadelphia and would respond to every extra alarm fire that he could in every part of the City. I spent many an hour with him at firehouses myself.

That being said, the information about the Monitor is readily available on the internet. But thanks for asking.:)

King George, VA

#11 Feb 25, 2010
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>ory
Masterscout.....
As a matter of fact, my Dad was a historian and VERY heavy into US Naval History, Civil War History, WWI and WWII, as well as Fire Deparment History (Volunteer and Paid) going back as far as Ben Franklin. He died on 26 July 1993 and I think of him every single day and all the knowledge he had in his head and in his library. He would correspond (by manual typewriter) and answer questions from across the U.S. as well as other countries and he wouldn't be shy about correcting other authors when they had their facts wrong. He was a Judge of Fire Apparatus (both antique and modern) for Fire Department Parades in many states East of the Mississippi. He was also a Volunteer Fire Chief in Philadelphia and would respond to every extra alarm fire that he could in every part of the City. I spent many an hour with him at firehouses myself.
That being said, the information about the Monitor is readily available on the internet. But thanks for asking.:)
Internet and books are great... to a point. Nothing, and I mean nothing can conpare to learning from someone like your Dad... first hand experience and I am sure an intensity for his subjects... and then he gets to share them with his son... Your dad and mine would have made great friends. They just don't seem to make them like that anymore.

You have a good day my friend.
MS out
VETNAM 2

Olney, MD

#12 Feb 25, 2010
Thank you for that, Masterscout.

One more tidbit before I'm out.....

Did you know that President Monroe's time in Office was known as the "Era of Good Feeling" due to the lack of partisan politics?

That would bring two thoughts to my mind which I'm sure would also occur to you. The first has to do with my champions of blue-eyed soul, and the second has to do with Paul and Art.:)
Thank you

Alexandria, VA

#13 Feb 25, 2010
Crabby

United States

#14 Feb 25, 2010
Vetnam2, that was a beautiful tribute you wrote about your father. I apologize to you for the children who play on this forum and use the icons inappropriately.
VETNAM 2

Alexandria, VA

#15 Mar 2, 2010
Crabby wrote:
Vetnam2, that was a beautiful tribute you wrote about your father. I apologize to you for the children who play on this forum and use the icons inappropriately.
Crabby.....

Haven't talked to you since the Super Bowl.....

Thanks!
Clueless

Alexandria, VA

#16 Apr 21, 2010
James Monroe Birthplace wrote:
It's that time of year again:sounds like fun!!!! http://www.americantowns.com/va/colonialbeach...
REMINDER:

This Saturday, April 24th.

James Monroe's Birthplace, Colonial Beach, VA.

252nd Birthday Gig.
wondering

King William, VA

#17 Apr 21, 2010
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
REMINDER:
This Saturday, April 24th.
James Monroe's Birthplace, Colonial Beach, VA.
252nd Birthday Gig.
11:00 Before 11:00, go to Moose Lodge, park, and ride a shuttle to the ceremonies---so I was told.
wondering

King William, VA

#18 Apr 21, 2010
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>11:00 Before 11:00, go to Moose Lodge, park, and ride a shuttle to the ceremonies---so I was told.
Westmoreland News, hot off the press, reports the time as 10:30. Date is still Saturday, April 24; address is 4460 James Monroe Hgwy, CB
VETNAM 2

Washington, DC

#19 Apr 25, 2010
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Westmoreland News, hot off the press, reports the time as 10:30. Date is still Saturday, April 24; address is 4460 James Monroe Hgwy, CB
wondering.....

We got there at 10:45, but still in plenty of time, albeit one of the last few to find a parking space at the site. The event was well attended which I was happy to see, since I've been at the site at least a half dozen times over the past year hoping to see the inside of the building and nobody was there. There was a lot of good history told, some of which I was unaware of, such as James Monroe being with George Washington at Washington's Crossing. Congressman Rob Wittman gave a very good talk and even mentioned the fact that President Monroe's time in office was known as "the era of good feeling", something that I haven't felt in a long time and certainly wish we could see once again. Two of our local musicians played Yankee Doodle which was also quite enjoyable.:) There was one moment when I felt I was back in Panxsatawney, Pennsylvania and they were going to drag Phil out to tell us there was six more weeks of Winter ahead of us, but it was all good! Thanks to all that showed up to commemorate the 252nd birthday of one of our founding fathers from Westmoreland County.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College of William and Mary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Library book returned to Va. college 35 years late (Oct '10) Jun '16 She Talks To Angels 13
News Diplomacy and aid in Africa (Apr '16) Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News James City cops believe others involved in carj... (Jun '09) Apr '16 Martin garey 2
News Alice Vitoria Gomes Bezerra, 3 months old, who has (Feb '16) Feb '16 Sent By Text 1
News Schumm's father testified in landmark case on s... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Belles Echoes 2
News Former William and Mary economics professor ple... (Oct '10) Sep '15 Martin garey 2
News Williamsburg celebrates the arts in September (Sep '15) Sep '15 Happy 1
More from around the web