Teacher sold baseball items for tuition

Jan 22, 2011 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.nydailynews.com

Tony Apuzzi sold part of his baseball memorabilia collection to help send Jasalle Ruiz to college.

For half his life, Tony Apuzzi hounded Major League baseball players for their autographs, amassing some 600 signed baseballs and photos. But he sold the heart of his prized collection in an instant to help a South Bronx girl realize her dream of attending college. "This is a kid who had to settle for second best her whole life, and all of a sudden she had a chance to go somewhere good," said Apuzzi, 44, of Westchester. "I wanted that for her. I didn't want it to slip away."

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Getflushed

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

God bless this man's spirit of outreach and generosity. It proves the Christian adage, that it is better to light a candle, than curse the darkness... Except on Topix, where lighting a candle would be like throwing pearls to swine.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

Getflushed wrote:
God bless this man's spirit of outreach and generosity. It proves the Christian adage, that it is better to light a candle, than curse the darkness... Except on Topix, where lighting a candle would be like throwing pearls to swine.
There are many pearls among the slops.

I hope that Jasalle Ruiz gets to CNR; and eventually to medical school. It is a bneautiful place, and she should be there.
http://www.cnr.edu/Home/Home
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

Thank you Mr Tony Apuzzi!!!! You Sir stand out as a true insperation to all who realize that todays young are our future. I wish you and the young lady you helped all the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••