Study: Homosexuality, celibacy didn't...

Study: Homosexuality, celibacy didn't cause abuse

There are 332 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from May 18, 2011, titled Study: Homosexuality, celibacy didn't cause abuse. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

WASHINGTON Researchers commissioned by the nation's Roman Catholic bishops to analyze the pattern of clergy sex abuse so dioceses could better identify offenders have concluded that homosexuality, celibacy and an all-male priesthood did not cause the scandal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1 May 18, 2011
Interesting findings.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#2 May 18, 2011
"Sister Mary Ann Walsh, a spokeswoman for the bishops' conference, said church leaders fully cooperated with the $1.8 million study, which was funded by the bishops, Catholic foundations, individual donors and a grant from the U.S. Department of Justice ...

"'John Jay was chosen to do the study because of its independence from the church,' Walsh said ..."

How "independent" was this latest study when the RCC paid John Jay for its all too convenient conclusions?

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#3 May 18, 2011
The study by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York instead said that the problem was largely the result of poor seminary training and insufficient emotional support for men ordained in the 1940s and 1950s, who were not able to withstand the social upheaval they confronted as pastors in the 1960s. Crime and other deviant behavior increased overall in the United States during this period, when the rate of abuse by priests was climbing.

So much for joine's tripe, again........

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#4 May 18, 2011
MiddleWay wrote:
The study by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York instead said that the problem was largely the result of poor seminary training ...
I thought YOU were the result of poor Catholic seminary training.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#5 May 18, 2011
Now let's hear about the 'congregations' rights to the property they paid for that had to be sold or closed to cover these legal expenses incurred by their clergy employees.

Good luck with attempting to square that circle!

From the article:

The scandal has cost U.S. dioceses nearly $3 billion and has spread to Europe and beyond. Just this week, Vatican officials instructed bishops worldwide to develop discipline policies for abusive priests within a year.

From the article: There is nothing like the truth!

Critics argue the study cannot be trusted since the raw data was provided by the bishops.

In February, a Philadelphia grand jury alleged that the local archdiocese kept 37 credibly accused clergy in public ministry, despite repeated pledges by the nation's bishops that no offenders would stay on duty. In response, Philadelphia Cardinal Justin Rigali suspended about two dozen clergy and hired a former prosecutor to review the cases. Ana Maria Catanzaro, the head of the Philadelphia review board, which was formed to advise bishops on abuse cases, said last week that the archdiocese had "failed miserably at being open and transparent" and had kept some cases from the board.

"What Philadelphia does is reveal the flaws in the process," said Ann Barrett Doyle of the advocacy group BishopAccountability.org , which is compiling a public database of all records related to the scandal.

LOL - I am a bishop how could I lie to you?

Location hidden

#6 May 19, 2011
What will they do now?

The Mountain Empire

#7 May 19, 2011
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought YOU were the result of poor Catholic seminary training.
That was before my time, apparently things were better in the late 70's when I attended, although while in Rome, I heard about sex within the Vatican.

Another reason I left.

*wink wink

The Mountain Empire

#8 May 19, 2011
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
What will they do now?
They will change the subject or let us know that they have all the answers and know more than the professionals.

You know, their usual lies..........

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#9 May 19, 2011
BS! This is the same study that said years ago it did.

If you're a Catholic, you KNOW it did.

#10 May 19, 2011
Una Voce wrote:
BS! This is the same study that said years ago it did.
If you're a Catholic, you KNOW it did.
Episcopalians are 'Catholic'. However we are not members of the Church of Rome.

Thanks be to the Mystery of the Triune God!

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#11 May 19, 2011
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Episcopalians are 'Catholic'...
No, they're catholic -- as in "universal" -- and (maybe) apostolic.

The Mountain Empire

#13 May 20, 2011
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
"As for your *****flawed rationale***** that only young men were available to RC priests for sex as they were the only sex eligible for altar service in the 60s and 70s: Consider the case of the (late) Rev. James R. Porter who abused 100 boys and girls throughout the Boston Archdiocese long before altar servers became co-ed.

In any event, the RC church is not a cloister or a prison where the only sexual relations available are same sex relations. Consider the latest case in Darien, CT., where the Rev. Michael Jude Fay stands accused of raiding his church's treasury to support a lavish gay lifestyle with an adult male partner in NYC; neither money or distance posed a problem for this pastor's sexual preference.

I hope that this helps resolve this for you. The Diocese of Bridgeport presented accurate information. In fact, when all victims and all offenders are considered, the most frequent victim is a girl under the age of 14 and the perpetrator is a male-either a member of her biological family or someone she and her family know and trust.

If you have further questions about this matter, please feel free to ask. God bless, Sharon Doty, Consultant to the VIRTUS Program"
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#14 May 20, 2011
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
"As for your *****flawed rationale***** that only young men were available to RC priests for sex as they were the only sex eligible for altar service in the 60s and 70s: Consider the case of the (late) Rev. James R. Porter who abused 100 boys and girls throughout the Boston Archdiocese long before altar servers became co-ed.
In any event, the RC church is not a cloister or a prison where the only sexual relations available are same sex relations. Consider the latest case in Darien, CT., where the Rev. Michael Jude Fay stands accused of raiding his church's treasury to support a lavish gay lifestyle with an adult male partner in NYC; neither money or distance posed a problem for this pastor's sexual preference.
I hope that this helps resolve this for you. The Diocese of Bridgeport presented accurate information. In fact, when all victims and all offenders are considered, the most frequent victim is a girl under the age of 14 and the perpetrator is a male-either a member of her biological family or someone she and her family know and trust.
If you have further questions about this matter, please feel free to ask. God bless, Sharon Doty, Consultant to the VIRTUS Program"
May I add a blessing for the entire VIRTUS Program. I volunteer with the youth of the parish I attend. In that I had to go to a three hour VIRTUS training session and need to read online on a regular basis articles dealing with the protection of children. This is a problem wider in scope than I ever realized. Especially as social networking, cell phones, and texting have made our children even more vulneralbe to predators than ever. As a parent I am much more aware than before of the predators in our midst and their grooming practices. It's just sad that so many had to be hurt before a program such as this came to be.

#15 May 20, 2011
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe you are not ‘Catholic’ in any dimension of reality. Episcopalians are as much 'Catholic' as any member of the Church of Rome of the Eastern Orthodox churches.

Dumkoff! You’re the first one to scream that TEC is part of the ‘Anglican Communion’ the forth largest group of Christian churches in the world. A truly ‘Catholic’ body of churches across the globe.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#16 May 20, 2011
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe you are not ‘Catholic’ in any dimension of reality ...
What would you know of reality?
It's not as if you lived in it.

#17 May 20, 2011
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you know of reality?
It's not as if you lived in it.
I do see things differently from you.

John 14: 16-18

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever

17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.

20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Thanks be to the Mystery of the Triune God!

The Mountain Empire

#18 May 21, 2011
Pax et Bonum wrote:
<quoted text>
May I add a blessing for the entire VIRTUS Program. I volunteer with the youth of the parish I attend. In that I had to go to a three hour VIRTUS training session and need to read online on a regular basis articles dealing with the protection of children. This is a problem wider in scope than I ever realized. Especially as social networking, cell phones, and texting have made our children even more vulneralbe to predators than ever. As a parent I am much more aware than before of the predators in our midst and their grooming practices. It's just sad that so many had to be hurt before a program such as this came to be.
Amen!

Location hidden

#19 May 21, 2011
Pax et Bonum wrote:
<quoted text>
TEC in our Diocese has training for the children as well as the adults.

The Mountain Empire

#20 May 22, 2011
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>TEC in our Diocese has training for the children as well as the adults.
Ours too.

Joline doesn't like that at all.

LOL..........

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#21 May 22, 2011
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
I do see things differently from you ...
And eyeglasses won't help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

City University of New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Harvey, Irma, DACA And Campus Sexual Assault Sep 11 USWARRACEMAKEWORL... 13
News Does Size Matter? The Impact of Penis Size on S... (Jan '13) Aug '17 The Troll Stopper 36
News Greenland meltwater contributes to rising sea l... (Jan '15) Jul '17 Talkin Bout Logic 11
News Racism tied to worse asthma symptoms for black ... Jun '17 The Power Of Mast... 1
News College student beaten and robbed by masked men... Jun '17 TIL about NYC 2
News CCNY-UTEP partner to produce next generation La... May '17 Food farts 4
News Discrimination linked to greater probability of... Apr '17 Spotted Girl 2
More from around the web