Report spreads blame for Catholic sex...

Report spreads blame for Catholic sex abuse

There are 23 comments on the www.religionnews.com story from May 19, 2011, titled Report spreads blame for Catholic sex abuse. In it, www.religionnews.com reports that:

Nearly a decade after revelations of widespread sexual abuse of minors rocked the Catholic Church in the U.S., a comprehensive report on the scandal is set for release on Wednesday , hoping to provide answers about a crisis that has raised myriad questions despite years of attention.

Was celibacy to blame for the abuse? Gays in the priesthood? The social revolution of the ‘60s, or the benighted seminary education of the repressive 1950s?

The truth turns out to be far more complex, according to a copy of the report by researchers at John Jay College of Criminal Justice that was provided by a church leader who believes the findings accurately reflect the causes of the church’s sexual abuse crisis, for good and for ill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.religionnews.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Obi Won

Malta, IL

#21 May 21, 2011
This report is not placing "blame" but rather it seeks to provide an understanding of what happened and why. On another post a person commented that in the pre=vatican II days it was not uncommon for a young man to enter a high school seminary, and remain in the seminary system until they were ordained in their mid-twenties. Might this have some sort of effect? The report rightly points out that this is a very complex matter and one thing will never be able to be identified as the cause.

Seeing that only a small number of priests were actually abusers, maybe look at the priests who have lived celibate and chaste lives. What good practices or habits allowed them to fulfill their promises of priestly life.
paul shykora

Calgary, Canada

#22 May 21, 2011
Sheryl 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They tried to blame homosexuals but it didn't work because gays were not the cause of the trouble. They're simply denying, and desperate to put the blame on anybody but their own clergy.
...I's DO-AGREE,here.....eh..

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Parksley, VA

#23 May 21, 2011
Obi Won wrote:
Seeing that only a small number of priests were actually abusers, maybe look at the priests who have lived celibate and chaste lives. What good practices or habits allowed them to fulfill their promises of priestly life.
Celibacy to go along with the misogyny and authoritarianism of the RCC hierarchy is one hellish brew. Good luck, freeeks! But keep your "religious" ravings out of public spaces or secular, civil law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

City University of New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-Racist': - I Will Always Call on My Black ... 2 hr im fair are you 75
News 10 African Americans named Rhodes scholars, mos... 6 hr CodeTalker 64
News Brooklyn College doesn't want police using camp... 9 hr RICH SLAVE 17
News Racism tied to worse asthma symptoms for black ... Nov 7 Shinamoto 3
News Malliotakis campaign 'energized' after de Blasi... Nov 6 Baptist ism by Proxy 1
News New Assessment Model Links Emotions to Mental H... Oct 22 keramatzade 2
News CCNY psychologists develop new model that links... Oct '17 Humanspirit 1
More from around the web