Support is growing for the Macedonia Evidence letter to US President Barack Obama

May 2, 2010 | Posted by: macedonian1 | Full story: history-of-macedonia.com

The number of scholars who are supporting the Macedonia Evidence letter to US President Barack Obama grew in April to 364. The letter, initially supported by 200 scholars of Graeco-Roman antiquity, appeared online about a year ago at http://macedonia-evidence.org/obama-letter.html . The letter requested the new US president to reverse a decision by his predecessor George W. Bush to recognize in 2004 FYROM in bilateral relations as "Republic of Macedonia".

Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Sep 22, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
United Macedonians

Tübingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Until 1999, the US State Department listed VMRO in its list of terrorist organizations. The US recognition of the country as "Republic of Macedonia" in 2004 was surprising in this context. It came ostensibly as a token of support in creating a multicultural society ( http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL32172.pdf ). This justification seems to have been taken by the Skopje authorities as a green light for the endorsement of an irredentist policy.

The ruling VMRO party in Skopje had been until relatively recently considered a terrorist organization by the USA. According to the US National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism ( http://www.start.umd.edu/start/data/tops/terr... )

"The Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization-Macedonia for the Macedonians (VMRO-MNM), is a racist/nationalist political party and terrorist group operating in [FYR] Macedonia. The name Vnatresno-Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija (VMRO) was first used in the late 19th century by [Slav] Macedonian rebels opposed to Ottoman rule. The group remained active after the First World War, seeking to undo the partition of Macedonia ordered by the Treaty of Versailles. After being successfully suppressed by the USSR during the Cold War,[FYR] Macedonian nationalism has experienced a resurgence in the years since the Iron Curtain fell, as the Balkans has again become a hotspot of ethnic tension. In [FYR] Macedonia today, the VMRO name is attached to many different political parties, including the ruling party, the Democratic Party for Macedonian National Unity (VMRO-DPMNE), and the leading mainstream opposition party, the VMRO-VMRO. However, the name is also used by the extremist VMRO-MNM, which believes that a greater Macedonia should be established, incorporating "ethnic Macedonians" from Greece, Bulgaria, and elsewhere."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/vie...
United Macedonians

Tübingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Among the letter´s current 364 signatories are luminaries in the field of classics including

Stephen Neale, Distinguished Professor of Philosophy and Linguistics, John H. Kornblith Family Chair in the Philosophy of Science and Values, City University of New York (USA)

David Gordon Mitten, James Loeb Professor of Classical Art and Archaeology, Harvard University (USA)

Robert A. Kaster, Professor of Classics and Kennedy Foundation Professor of Latin, Princeton University (USA)

Hans-Joachim Gehrke, Prof. Dr., President of the German Archaeological Institute Berlin (Germany)

Dr. Florian Knauss, associate director, Staatliche Antikensammlungen und Glyptothek Muenchen (Germany)

Karol Myśliwiec, Professor Dr., Director of the Research Centre for Mediterranean Archaeology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw (Poland)

Francois de Callatay, Professor of Monetary and Financial history of the Greek world, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes (Paris/Sorbonne) and Professor of Financial history of the Greco-Roman world, Universite libre de Bruxelles (France and Brussels)

John M. Fossey FRSC, FSA, Emeritus Professor of Art History (and Archaeology), McGill University, Montreal, and Curator of Archaeology, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Canada)

Christof Schuler, director, Commission for Ancient History and Epigraphy of the German Archaeological Institute, Munich (Germany)

Prof Stephen G. Miller, Professor of Classical Archaeology Emeritus, University of California, Berkeley (USA).

The classical scholars protest that this decision by George W. Bush became a catalyst for other bilateral recognitions of the country as "Republic of Macedonia".
United Macedonians

Tübingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Two Resolutions have been passed in the US Congress, condemning at least in words the violations of provisions of the United Nations-brokered Interim Agreement between FYROM and Greece regarding `hostile activities or propaganda'. 110th Congress Senate Resolution 300 in 2007 urged the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM): (1) to observe its obligations under Article 7 of the 1995 United Nations-brokered Interim Accord, which directs the parties to `promptly take effective measures to prohibit hostile activities or propaganda by state-controlled agencies and to discourage acts by private entities likely to incite violence, hatred or hostility' and review the contents of textbooks, maps, and teaching aids to ensure that such tools are stating accurate information; and (2) to work with Greece within the framework of the United Nations process to achieve longstanding United States and United Nations policy goals by reaching a mutually-acceptable official name for FYROM. The Resolution had been tabled by three Senators that included Mr Barack Obama. Another US Congress resolution (111th CONGRESS, 1st Session, S. RES. 169) from May 21, 2009 (THREE DAYS AFTER THE LETTER BY THE MACEDONIA EVIDENCE GROUP) makes much the same points with the same justifications.

“Macedonian, therefore Greek”

Since: Apr 07

Lychnidos, occupied Macedonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Whoever denies Macedonians' Greekness is ignoramus or idiot or an imbecile SlavoSkopian propagandist.

“Mess with the best,”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Is no words, to describe SS. Short for scupid scupis.

“Verba vo BogMakedonec do grob”

Since: Apr 10

Harlow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Can anyone show the original letter with the scholars signiture or a reply from the white house??
Was this letter ever given the time of day by the white house?!!:))))))
I mean if it ever existed:))))
United Macedonians

Tübingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

Dojran wrote:
Can anyone show the original letter with the scholars signiture or a reply from the white house??
It's on the website.

Check http://macedonia-evidence.org/

If you are still in doubt, contact one of the 364 signatories.
stavros

Sofia, Bulgaria

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

barbarian skopjan nation...must understund that u are slavian tribe accept it...nobody is perfect ...stop trying get into our history...macednos means the nice land... and for that reason macedonia take that name...the word macedonia has greek root,,your flags has greek symbol symbolize the 12 Hellenic Olympian Gods..u are not something more from a country that americans make 2 have the control of balcanian...not something more from a backdoor u,albania kosovo bacame only for propaganda, a country without history is a country without future

“Mess with the best,”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

Judged:

stavros wrote:
barbarian skopjan nation...must understund that u are slavian tribe accept it...nobody is perfect ...stop trying get into our history...macednos means the nice land... and for that reason macedonia take that name...the word macedonia has greek root,,your flags has greek symbol symbolize the 12 Hellenic Olympian Gods..u are not something more from a country that americans make 2 have the control of balcanian...not something more from a backdoor u,albania kosovo bacame only for propaganda, a country without history is a country without future
Interesting. I never thought it that way. All about control I guess. Much closer to Iran for US.
United Macedonians

Mittelbach, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2010

Judged:

stavros wrote:
a country without history is a country without future
A country without much history (such as for example East Timor) may have a future, it does not have a past. A country with fake history has deleted the past and has no future. Because it denies reality and hates itself.
United Macedonians

Tübingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Judged:

"WE on the contrary shall willingly fight for GREECE, and our hearts will be in it."
Alexander the Great as quoted by Arrian, 2.7:[Translation by Aubrey De Seliucourt]
Gus

Scarborough, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2010

Judged:

I signed that dammed thing 5 times and still FYROM
enjoys recognition by soo many,WTF!

“ein anderer Schauplatz”

Since: Jan 09

Athens

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

Nobody can support the lies of a delinquent state ,forever!
VMRO-FYROM comitted a grave error behaving like the terrorist midget with tons of lies with only immense arrogance inside its baggages.

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Since: Jul 08

Bitola

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

If Greeks where Macedonians why call for a death penalty for Macedonians?

Deputy Athanassios Plevris of the People's Orthodox Rally (LAOS) party has demanded death penalties for the members of the ethnic Macedonian party "Vinozito" [Rainbow] in Greece and for the Greek Helsinki Watch. This deputy of Yeoryios Karatzaferis' ultranationalist party has sent a written request to Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyannis and Justice Minister Sotirios Hadjigakis, saying that the "Vinozito" website features "a map of Europe showing Skopje denominated as Macedonia" and that Helsinki Watch, which is financed by the Greek Government, talks about the existence of a Macedonian language. This would be absolutely unacceptable, he describes the language as "Slavic".

http://www.greekrealm.com/forum/politics/6198...

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/1725/4...

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Bitola

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

Panayote Dimitras facing High Treason charges for speaking about Macedonians

Greece has an investigation against me, the charges are “high treason”, because I had spoken about the Macedonians in Greece, says Panayote Dimitras in an interview for BBC Macedonian.
Mr. Dimitras is a member of the Greek Helsinki Monitor.
“I already met the prosecutor and gave my statement. If I end up in Court, the only possible sentence is jail for life.” says Dimitras, a long time campaigner for minority rights in Greece.
This interview was done shortly after the visit of UN Independent minority expert Gay McDougall in Northern Greece. Mr. Dimitras accompanied McDougall on her visit.
Himself and other members of the Greek Helsinki Monitor informed McDougall on all questions regarding her mandate; on the Macedonian, Turkish, religious minorities, including the Roma population, problems with racism and anti-Semitism.

- The message to the UN expert was this: the conditions in Greece are dire, none of the minority groups are represented at any level. In fact, if and when any of these minorities have a complaint, they are frequently attacked by the Media and Government. It’s not just the minorities. Organizations, such as ours that fights for equal rights and promotes rights are being attacked.
If I can use one sentence - Democracy in Greece, came in 1974, it is yet to come for the minorities, says Mr. Dimitras.

Can you describe McDougall’s reaction after she heard the responses from Greek Helsinki Monitor?

- We are not allowed to speak of her reactions. The only thing I can say is, something that she said at a Press Conference in Athens, is that the recommendations and suggestions of the UN Committee, and the Greek Helsinki Monitor would be part of her report. And in those reports is easy to see that Greece negates the existence of Macedonian and Turkish people, as well as the catastrophic situation of our Roma population. I do not doubt for a second that McDougall’s report would be much different than our official position i.e. there are people in Greece who identify themselves differently from the Greeks.

Do you think this visit would change something?
It is difficult to say. Because the European Council and the UN have both recommended Greece change its behavior, but Greece hasn’t done a thing. In fact, it’s worse.
We don’t change anything because we don’t have to fear anything. There are no sanctions against Greece, except for the European Court for Human Rights where we have lost cases, cases that Greece ignores. In this country, if you speak about minorities, you are asking for trouble. This will stay the way it is, until Greece is faced with sanctions.

Do you personally have problems?

- Well, there is a case against me, for high treason because I spoke about the Macedonians. I met the prosecutor, gave my statement. I am facing life in prison if convicted. I am hoping my case wont get to that point, but I have to admit, this is not pleasant for me, at all. Vinozito (Rainbow) is facing similar actions, when a Radical Right Wing party in Parliament asked to press for high treason charges against them. Our Justice Minister accepted the case, is now being forwarded to the Prosecutor.//Interview translated from (Dnevnik)

***YouTube interview in English***
Panayote Dimitras part 1

http://ru.youtube.com/watch...

Panayote Dimitras part 2

In Macedonian
http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/3525/4...

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Bitola

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

p1.
Documents of the Continued Existence of Macedonia and the Macedonian Nation for a period of over 2500 years

What follows are documents that speak of the continued existence of Macedonia and of the Macedonian nation through the last 25 centuries. Macedonia is clearly distinguished from Greece (Hellas), Thrace, Illyria, Bulgaria, Serbia, and the Macedonians are likewise distinguished as distinct nation from the Greeks, Thracians, Illyrians, Bulgarians, Serbs, Albanians, as nation which continued to exist and survive trough the centuries ( makedonika.org ).
500 B.C.- 500 A.D.
Macedonia and the Macedonians as distinct nation in the works of the ancient Greek, Roman, and Jewish historians, as well in the works of the modern German, French, English, American historians.
586 A.D.
From the "Miracles of St. Demetrius of Salonika, I ": "...For if one was to imagine them in a heap, not only the Macedonians gathered in Salonika... Certainly he who inspired the Macedonians with courage..." Mirac. I, 13, p.1285-14; 1313
758-759 A.D.
From the Chronographia of Theophanes the Confessor "That year Constantine plundered the Sclavinii throughout Macedonia and subjugated the rest." Theoph., I, p.430, 21-22.
From the Chronographia Tripertita by Anastasius Bibliothecarius: "In the eighteenth year of his reign, Constantine enslaved the Sclavinii of Macedonia and he subjugated the rest." A. B., p.282, 20-21.
8th Century
From Strabonos Epithomatus: "And now, in that way almost all of Epirus, Hellada, the Peloponnese and Macedonia have also been settled by the Skiti-Slavs." C. Muller, Geographi graeci minores, Paris 1882, p.574.
821-823 A.D.
From the letter of Michael II to the honorable Ludwig: "Thomas...having gathered our barges and dromon, had the opportunity to arrive in (some) parts of Thrace and Macedonia." Mansi, Michaelis Belbi et Theophilii....Florentinae, 1759
From On the Capture of Salonika by John Cametinae: "...I introduce you to the same, the great and the first city of the Macedonians..." J.K. Begunov, Kozma Prezviter v slavjanskih literaturah, Sofia 1976, p. 297
First half of 10th C.
From On the Themes by Constantine Porphyrogenitus: "... So from a kingdom Macedonia turned into a province and now it has reached the position of a theme and strategy." C. Porfirogenito, De thematibus, Citta del Vaticano, 1952.

“"MAKEDONKA"”

Bitola

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

Greece Executes 8 Macedonians

ATHENS. June 7 (Reuthers)– Eight Macedonian civilians sentenced to death by a court-martial on charges of plotting to separate Macedonia from Greece were shot at Salonika today. They were said to have been members of a ´terroristic´ Slav organization." (The New York Times, June 8, 1947).

Greece Executes 8 Macedonians
ATHENS, June 7 (Reuthers) Eigrht Macedonian Civilians sentenced to death by a court-martial on charges of plotting to separate Macedonia from Greece were
...June 8, 1947

http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch...
Stefan Culumov

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

Rosetta stone wrote:
Panayote Dimitras facing High Treason charges for speaking about Macedonians
Greece has an investigation against me, the charges are “high treason”, because I had spoken about the Macedonians in Greece, says Panayote Dimitras in an interview for BBC Macedonian.
Mr. Dimitras is a member of the Greek Helsinki Monitor.
“I already met the prosecutor and gave my statement. If I end up in Court, the only possible sentence is jail for life.” says ster accepted the case, is now being forwarded to the Prosecutor.//Interview translated from (Dnevnik)
***YouTube interview in English***
Panayote Dimitras part 1
Panayote Dimitras part 2
In Macedonian
http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/3525/4...
And what is this 'helsinki monitor'?
It is a gathering of 'protesting' homosexuals that want to revenge the society this way. One of them called Valianatos is the former president of the greek homosexuals - when the homos lynched him after they realized this 'celebrity' used them for promoting his own clubs -'gay-bars'.
After the homosexuals kicked his ass, he found the lowest of the lower forms of life to support: FYROM!
The same guy and his 'right-hand' panayote dimitras, have also sued the rock band 'black sabbath' for racism (they are...black) and also sued Jesus for public nudity. Thanks god Jesus was not condemned, the judge accepted that while nailed on the cross he couldn't dress himself.
There are also videos of this guy panayote dimitras interviewed where he accepts that he is a fyromian as a result of his political choices - otherwise, he selected to protest against greece this way.
This is the helsinki clowns you are referring to.
United Macedonians

Tübingen, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

Dojran wrote:
Was this letter ever given the time of day by the white house?!!:))))))
I mean if it ever existed:))))
Pasko Kuzman has something to say about your case.

Pasko Kuzman's Resignation From the Letter to Obama by the "Macedonia Evidence" Team [17-VI-2009]

Ljubčo Georgievski Uses Linguistic Arguments Against Pseudomacedonism [17-VI-2009]

“Verba vo BogMakedonec do grob”

Since: Apr 10

Harlow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

United Macedonians wrote:
<quoted text>
Pasko Kuzman has something to say about your case.
Pasko Kuzman's Resignation From the Letter to Obama by the "Macedonia Evidence" Team [17-VI-2009]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SjRyrzw5cLcXX
Ljub&#269;o Georgievski Uses Linguistic Arguments Against Pseudomacedonism [17-VI-2009]
hehehe must have just heard about this letter but has he seen it?
or have you seen it?
or better can you provide the reply letter from the White house to this phantom letter:)))
http://www.iospress.gr/ios2005/ios20051023.ht...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

City University of New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug war critics take in state of Santa Cruz po... Aug 15 ANON 1
Justifying wartime atrocities alters memories May '14 humanSpirit 1
ELECTION 2014: Liberty Grove Town Board: Three ... Mar '14 Bob Gorevan 1
Some question Sheryl Sandberg's Ban Bossy campaign Mar '14 Fundies R Mentall... 1
Jewish Latin American Writers Featured in Sympo... Mar '14 WE JUST DONT CARE 3
Small percentage of Roman Catholic priests sexu... (Sep '13) Mar '14 QUITTNER 11
Study Reveals LGBT Youths Face Greater Cancer R... (Feb '14) Mar '14 dumb it down 4 Dan 24
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

City University of New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••