Mary Sanchez | Catholic Church can't hand off blame for abuse by priests

May 24, 2011 Full story: Kansas City Star 13

The counterculture caused stressed out priests to sin.This is the banal and evasive conclusion of a five-year study costing nearly $2 million that the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops commissioned to look into the causes and context of the sexual abuse of minors by the church’s clergy.The study was prepared by researchers at the John Jay ...

Full Story

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2011
I accept "improper training" as the reason.Changes are being made.
Non Papist

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 May 24, 2011
Google "list of sexually active Popes" and Liber Gomorrhianus for a start. This neither started in the 60s, nor will it change because the Catholic church introduces some nonsense training program. Sin comes from the heart, not from lack of training. At least according to Jesus, but then again, Rome isn't known for paying much attention to Jesus.

Location hidden

#3 May 24, 2011
Non Papist wrote:
Google "list of sexually active Popes" and Liber Gomorrhianus for a start. This neither started in the 60s, nor will it change because the Catholic church introduces some nonsense training program. Sin comes from the heart, not from lack of training. At least according to Jesus, but then again, Rome isn't known for paying much attention to Jesus.
The Papacy DOES pay much attention to Our Lord!I do not get my Biblical info from of all places;Google,or from 'Amazing Facts.'Neither should you?
Non Papist

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 May 24, 2011
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>The Papacy DOES pay much attention to Our Lord!I do not get my Biblical info from of all places;Google,or from 'Amazing Facts.'Neither should you?
If it paid attention to the Lord, it would put every pedophile priest in jail instead of protecting them.

Luke 17:2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.

And Liber Gomorrhianus is an official document of the Vatican condemning a fornicating and sodomite pope.

Location hidden

#5 May 24, 2011
Non Papist wrote:
<quoted text>
If it paid attention to the Lord, it would put every pedophile priest in jail instead of protecting them.
Luke 17:2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.
And Liber Gomorrhianus is an official document of the Vatican condemning a fornicating and sodomite pope.
Almost everywhere you look,you can find good and bad.You are taking the few bad,and,indicting the whole Organization.That is a prime fallacy of rational reasoning?
Non Papist

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 May 24, 2011
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>Almost everywhere you look,you can find good and bad.You are taking the few bad,and,indicting the whole Organization.That is a prime fallacy of rational reasoning?
What "few bad" are you talking about? The cover-up was systemic, up to and including your current "Pope." That's not a "few bad."

And besides, it is a problem with the entire organization. The entire organization forces priestly celibacy (don't give me the garbage about "that's only the Latin Rite" because that's most of the Catholic church). Priestly celibacy attracts sexual deviants. An organization guided by the Holy Spirit would realize this.

Location hidden

#7 May 24, 2011
Non Papist wrote:
<quoted text>
What "few bad" are you talking about? The cover-up was systemic, up to and including your current "Pope." That's not a "few bad."
And besides, it is a problem with the entire organization. The entire organization forces priestly celibacy (don't give me the garbage about "that's only the Latin Rite" because that's most of the Catholic church). Priestly celibacy attracts sexual deviants. An organization guided by the Holy Spirit would realize this.
Less than 5% of the Catholic Hierarchy are affected.Systemic cover-up:NONSENSE.You use sweeping all inclusive statements out of context hoping to sway the illiterate.Sorry,you have met your match.I don't need all the facts;I have something you do not have:Wisdom.Wisdom comes from "the fear of God."
Obi Won

Rochelle, IL

#8 May 25, 2011
Where in the report is blame placed? It is not. The report is intended to take a critical look at any cause and effect of the sexual abuse of minors in the catholic church. Several theories have been offered. Are any of the theories credible.

The report is not a feature news story nor an extended apology. It is trying to uncover reasoning for the abuse and propose protocol for future responses.

To understand this text, one has to know how to read formal reports of this nature. It requires a bit of intellectual ability.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#9 May 25, 2011
12:44 pm, Wednesday, May 25, 2011:
RE: Mary Sanchez | Catholic Church can't hand off blame for abuse by priests
..... Maybe (too?) many Catholic priests did want to get to be priests because they knew that then they would get many opportunities to molest people?

..... Here is one of my previous posts:
QUITTNER Toronto, Canada 2:03 pm, Tuesday, April 26, 2011:
RE: Pope praises John Paul II ahead of beatification
..... In many countries a person is deemed innocent until convicted in court. The victims of priests that were lawbreakers should have gone to the police AT THE TIME and helped the police to get sufficient credible evidence to convict lawbreakers in court. If they didn't, then the victims are guilty of helping lawbreakers to continue their vile deeds again and again in different places, causing even more victims. Maybe the victims who kept it secret AT THE TIME should be charged with obstruction of justice?
..... Only after a priest was convicted in court should the church authorities have acted, and as long as there was no conviction of lawbreakers there was no cover-up of their lawbreaking because those concerned were deemed to be still quite innocent.
Non Papist

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 May 26, 2011
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>Less than 5% of the Catholic Hierarchy are affected.Systemic cover-up:NONSENSE.You use sweeping all inclusive statements out of context hoping to sway the illiterate.Sorry,you have met your match.I don't need all the facts;I have something you do not have:Wisdom.Wisdom comes from "the fear of God."
Yet, oddly, you didn't offer or back up a single fact in this post. The only one meeting his/her match here is you.

On the other hand, the facts are squarely on my side.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europ...

http://atheism.about.com/b/2009/04/16/pope-be...

http://catholics4change.com/2011/03/05/philad...

I could keep this up all day long.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Louis, MO

#11 May 26, 2011
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>Almost everywhere you look,you can find good and bad.You are taking the few bad,and,indicting the whole Organization.That is a prime fallacy of rational reasoning?
When it is the pope who is one of the few bad, you CAN indict the whole organization, because of the beliefs of said organization. Because the church believes in the prospect of Papal Infallibility, and the fact that the popes are incredibly fallible, one of the main tennants of the catholic church falls apart. Once the pope has been proven to be a sinful, lying old man that protect child molestors, you lose the other credence of the pope. And when you compound that with the teachings in the bible, especially the quoted scripture from Luke earlier, when the church protect pedophile priests, the entire system is broken from within by its own hypocrisy. The church's own book says that it would be better to drown these priests than allow them to vitimize more children, but the church just transfered them to a different parrish and expected them to turn a new leaf.

So if the catholic church is hypocritical and in violation of our nation's law, why should we citizens who are disgusted by your church be forced to continue to subsidize your pedophilia by letting you be tax exempt??

Sol

Location hidden

#12 May 30, 2011
Obi Won

Rochelle, IL

#13 May 31, 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

City University of New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Size Matter? The Impact of Penis Size on S... (Jan '13) Nov 20 Wimyum 30
Most Recent Comment Oct '14 Bundy 6
Sen. Warren: The economy works for billionaires Sep '14 Lawrence Wolf 14
Immigrants hope President Obama will end deport... Sep '14 wild child 12
Drug war critics take in state of Santa Cruz po... Aug '14 ANON 1
Justifying wartime atrocities alters memories (May '14) May '14 humanSpirit 1
ELECTION 2014: Liberty Grove Town Board: Three ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Bob Gorevan 1

City University of New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE