Poll: Most want to close gun 'loophole'

There are 20 comments on the New River Valley Current story from Oct 18, 2009, titled Poll: Most want to close gun 'loophole'. In it, New River Valley Current reports that:

Most Virginians say they want to close the so-called gun-show "loophole" that permits some gun sales without criminal background checks and they dislike the notion of someone carrying a concealed firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol, according to a new poll.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New River Valley Current.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Another Voice Heard From

Orlando, FL

#1 Oct 18, 2009
Shall we "guess" the questions were worded in such a way as to lead to the outcome the pollsters desired? Or did they just poll members of the Brady Bunch.
The poll numbers given seem to be in complete contrast to every other poll on the subject made in recent history.

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#2 Oct 18, 2009
Another Voice Heard From wrote:
Shall we "guess" the questions were worded in such a way as to lead to the outcome the pollsters desired? Or did they just poll members of the Brady Bunch.
The poll numbers given seem to be in complete contrast to every other poll on the subject made in recent history.
You've a very good point: The question was never revealed.
Further, they never discussed how many people they contacted and in what part(s) of the state for that matter.
But aside from all of that, the one thing that really sends most polls over the edge is just this: They poll only a certain number of people —usually only a few thousand— and thence declare that ~ALL~ Americans 'feel' the way of the majority in that poll.
Finally, as you know, there is no such thing as a 'gun show' loophole.
Ergo we see that the story is nought but a political lie, wrapped in a deceit, and proffered as the truth.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#3 Oct 18, 2009
Was good interesting reading too:

http://gunsafe.org/position%20statements/Jour...
Seen It Before

United States

#4 Oct 18, 2009
My grandfather said many years ago that you can make a poll say anyhing you want it to by taking it in the right place. Kool-aid anyone?
Boomer215

Irvington, NJ

#5 Oct 18, 2009
They should take another poll to see what percentage of the "most people" polled really have a clue as to what the "loophole" they want to close actually is.
Another Voice Heard From

Orlando, FL

#6 Oct 18, 2009
Boomer215 wrote:
They should take another poll to see what percentage of the "most people" polled really have a clue as to what the "loophole" they want to close actually is.
Shhh....you'll confuse the pollsters.

What's the quote? "There are lies, damned lies and statistics"?

The same aplies to "surveys".
Another Voice Heard From

Orlando, FL

#7 Oct 18, 2009
applies*

GPM

“DILLIGAF?”

Since: Aug 08

San Antonio, TX

#8 Oct 18, 2009
99% of men no longer beat their wives!

Q: Do you still beat your wife?

Yes 1%

No 99%

“I won't pay health insurance”

Since: Jun 07

Wenatchee, WA

#9 Oct 18, 2009
This Virginia poll was probably conducted along the District of Columbia border.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Oct 18, 2009
I find myself these days not wanting to align myself with any group be it political, religious, or what ever, what does give me comfort is my 12 ga. double barreled home improved scatter gun next to my bed. It beats 911 all the time.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#11 Oct 19, 2009
The poll is skewed from the get-go. In order to close a loophole...there has to be one to close. A loophole is a way to get around an existing law. Buying a firearm from a private seller (your brother, a neighbor down the street, a high school buddy in the next county, or at a gun show from a private (non-FFL) seller) in the state of Virginia doesn't require a criminal background check. It is all just location. Period. Only purchases made from a federally licensed firearms dealer require a background check. A private sale is NOT skirting any law (unless the seller KNOWINGLY sells to someone not allowed by law to own a firearm).

“Tu ne cede malis”

Lots of different places

#12 Oct 19, 2009
Armed Veteran wrote:
The poll is skewed from the get-go. In order to close a loophole...there has to be one to close. A loophole is a way to get around an existing law. Buying a firearm from a private seller (your brother, a neighbor down the street, a high school buddy in the next county, or at a gun show from a private (non-FFL) seller) in the state of Virginia doesn't require a criminal background check. It is all just location. Period. Only purchases made from a federally licensed firearms dealer require a background check. A private sale is NOT skirting any law (unless the seller KNOWINGLY sells to someone not allowed by law to own a firearm).
AND ...
And before 1968, anyone could get his firearms from anyone, anywhere, at any time and without a bat of the eyelash.
Back then, there weren't nearly the problems with violent crime that we experience now.
Imagine that: Now idiot law, and the violent crime rate was far lower.
Another Voice Heard From

Orlando, FL

#13 Oct 19, 2009
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
AND ...
And before 1968, anyone could get his firearms from anyone, anywhere, at any time and without a bat of the eyelash.
Back then, there weren't nearly the problems with violent crime that we experience now.
Imagine that: Now idiot law, and the violent crime rate was far lower.
While I agree with your general premise, I think the violence has more to do with cultural changes than with useless laws (though they definitely haven't helped).

The idea that you can't close the "gun show loophole" is also true....if you abide by the law, there is no loophole to close. Private gun sales at gun shows are merely a matter of convenience. You want to sell a firearm, where better than a location full of prospective buyers? If you want to buy a firearm, where better than the place where many sellers are co-located?

Outlaw private sales at gun shows and people will just use them as locations to meet, then take their private business elsewhere to conclude the sales.
Decriminal Marijuana

Roanoke, VA

#14 Oct 19, 2009
Well just look at the town in Georgia that Mandated all households to buy a gun, and within a year their crime rate plummeted and has continued to be extremely low for the past 27 years, just type in gun town Georgia into Google and it will give you many results.
Just like the scary propaganda that the Government produces for everything else they want to scare us about, this "loophole" word is used here. This is along the same principles as the 40yo kids still living at Mom's because he smoked a joint with his friends when he was 14 junk, it's not true, just lies to make you think our law makers are actually doing something . For them to close the loophole they speak of would be simple, Only allow FFL licensed gun dealers at gun shows, Private sellers can just go on selling their guns the old fashioned way, in the Bulletin Board and Buck Saver. Wow look I found a cure for the problem, and I not even a worthless politician
delirious

United States

#15 Oct 19, 2009
thinking free wrote:
I find myself these days not wanting to align myself with any group be it political, religious, or what ever, what does give me comfort is my 12 ga. double barreled home improved scatter gun next to my bed. It beats 911 all the time.
so does my 500 SW magnum...

“A Damn yankee exiled out West”

Since: Jul 09

Where ever I am now

#16 Oct 19, 2009
WOW the push is on now - How many times do people have to point out that when you do something that is against the law already, isn't called a LOOPHOLE? Its called a crime...

The media is throwing in the kitchen sink. Bloomberg (and NYC tax) dollars, hard at work...

“A Damn yankee exiled out West”

Since: Jul 09

Where ever I am now

#17 Oct 19, 2009
I had to find another ref. to the study to find this, but
"**The survey, conducted Oct. 8-13 on an undisclosed number of participants**, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percentage points."

So no indication of how many people, or from where? Did they walk down the hallway in the Judy Ford Wason Center for Public Policy and ask 10 co-staffers?

Wow is it really that easy to get picked up by multiple media outlets without questions asked? Lets try it...

This just in, for immediate worldwide distribution:

In a poll conducted by the Just-Now Policy Center for Bull Crap in the Media Reform (more commponly know as the JNPCBCMR) a strong majority of an undisclosed number of eligible voters think that polls without details on how they're conducted are a just as valuable as a turd on display in a jewelry store window.
XD357sig

Roanoke, VA

#18 Oct 23, 2009
beezee0 wrote:
WOW the push is on now - How many times do people have to point out that when you do something that is against the law already, isn't called a LOOPHOLE? Its called a crime...
The media is throwing in the kitchen sink. Bloomberg (and NYC tax) dollars, hard at work...
What is the crime ? there is no crime, there is no loophole ! you legally go out and buy guns from a ffl dealer, a private seller or maybe your dad was a collector and you inherited his guns but want to sell them, so you rent a table a a gun show, and you sell your guns to legal aged adults with an ID. Your not a dealer, so you don't have access to be able to do a background check, but you follow the law as to how to legally sell your guns. that is the so called loophole they speak of, one legal adult selling a gun to another legal adult.
ConservativeInNN

Newport News, VA

#19 Oct 23, 2009
Yuo're right. The use of the word "loophole" is incorrect. The background check does apply to licensed dealers, does it not? So if you're selling Grampa's weapons at a show does the rental of floor space and use of a table at the show imply you're a "dealer". I don't know. I'm just asking. What is needed here is a real lawyer's interpretation, not what you "think" or "hope" it is. You do have to admit that not requiring a background check on the sale by a non-dealer does severely weaken the intent of the law. And the law in no way infringes on any right to own a weapon. Just means you have to wait a few days. I know the pro-gun lobby will be jumping on me with both feet but that's alright since I can and will simply ignore their blustering comments.

“Tu ne cede malis”

Lots of different places

#20 Oct 23, 2009
ConservativeInNN wrote:
[——snip bloviation——] I know the pro-gun lobby will be jumping on me with both feet but that's alright since I can and will simply ignore their blustering comments.
Let's look at that, shall we?
—————
THE GUNS FORUM

FORUM ISSUE: Reactions to Gun-Ban Arguments

POST # 1780

BY: Jack Burton

Do I need the governments permission to buy a car? No.

Do I need to buy the car from only certain people with licenses to sell cars? No.

Can I buy as many cars as I want each week/month/year. Yes

Can I buy small cars, big cars, slow cars, fast cars, cars that look dangerous? Yes

Can I buy Hummers virtually identical to the ones the troops use? Yes.

Do I have to wait from 5 to 15 days to pick up my car. No

If I traded in one car for a newer model do I still have to wait five to ten days to pick the new one up. No

Can I modify my car to allow more fuel, more performance, or better cornering. Yes

Would I have to turn over to the government without compensation some models of automobiles that might be banned years after I buy them. No

Do I need a license to buy a car? No
(in most states)

Can I buy a car at age 16? Yes.

Are driving lessons mandated in most high schools? Yes

Can I buy a car from anyone in any state? Yes.

Can I sell my car to anyone in any state? Yes

Can convicted felons buy, own or drive a car. Yes

In some places (e.g. NYC or New Jersey) would I first need a permit to buy from the police department which sometimes takes up to 2 years to obtain. No

In some cities (e.g. Washington D.C.) would I have to store my car partially disassembled. No

Do I need to register a car that I own? No (as long as I keep it on my own property)

Do I need a background check or waiting period to buy a car? No

Is my car held responsible if I misuse it? No

Would failure to register my car be a federal felony (prevents me from owning another one). No

Do I need to "safe store" my car even though many are stolen and used for criminal purposes? No

Will I lose my driver's license if I violate the law with my car? Most likely not

Can I legally drive my car into ANY state/city in the nation with EVERY jurisdiction honoring my registration/license? Yes

Shall I go on? Or do you really, really want to treat guns like cars?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christopher Newport University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A strategic gamble pays poorly (Oct '09) Jan '15 John Trenter 14
News Panel addresses transgender inclusion in Glouce... Dec '14 meh 1
News Hampton judge backed for appeals court | Crime ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Wm and Mary Student 1
News Va. voters agree with McDonnells' guilty verdic... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Constitutional_Reset 5
News Medicaid expansion may be starting to retreat i... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Jorja Fox 1
News Poll: Virginians want compromise on Medicaid ex... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Jorja Fox 1
News CNU Poll: Virginia voters oppose Medicaid expan... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Jorja Fox 1
More from around the web