Remembering Hate Crimes: Oct. 7, 1998...

Remembering Hate Crimes: Oct. 7, 1998, Matthew Shepard Was Found

There are 9 comments on the www.lesbiatopia.com story from Oct 7, 2008, titled Remembering Hate Crimes: Oct. 7, 1998, Matthew Shepard Was Found. In it, www.lesbiatopia.com reports that:

Ten years ago from today, October 7, 2008, Laramie Police Dept. Officer Reggie Fluty went to the scene reported by a bicycle rider - a young man tied to a fence and obviously beaten very badly. Her words in the Laramie Project - that "the only part of his face not covered in blood were where he had been crying" are one of the most saddening and tragic moments in GLBTQI history. This was the day Matthew Shepard was found.

I wanted to post this for everyone as a 10-year memorial to the discovery of Matt, who was in a coma at the time of discovery, but also to everyone else who has been a vitcim of hate and violence.

Read the full story.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.lesbiatopia.com.

AliasAng

Horseheads, NY

#1 Oct 7, 2008
This was such a terrible tragedy. It makes me so sad, but also so angry at the same time. Angry that Mathew's life was stolen from him because of his sexual orientation. It's horrible that they're are such ignorant and hateful people out there that would do such a thing. Rest in peace Mathew, you won't be forgotten.

“Proud to be Mahu”

Since: Sep 07

Sacramento, CA

#2 Oct 7, 2008
RIP little brother. Hopefully someday we will evolve as a society beyond this evil.

“Let your freak flag fly!”

Since: Mar 08

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Oct 7, 2008
AliasAng wrote:
This was such a terrible tragedy. It makes me so sad, but also so angry at the same time. Angry that Mathew's life was stolen from him because of his sexual orientation. It's horrible that they're are such ignorant and hateful people out there that would do such a thing. Rest in peace Mathew, you won't be forgotten.
You are right, it is truly sad. I don't understand why someone would do something so horrible to ANYONE. GLBT, straight, religious beliefs, color, gender....
Albert

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Oct 7, 2008
God bless you, Matthew. RIP.

“Lesbian Social Guru”

Since: Aug 08

Beverly, MA

#5 Oct 7, 2008
And the worst part of all is that we still don't have a national hate crime bill that includes sexual orientation/gender identity. How many more GLBTQI's have to be brutally murdered before this happens?
Alan

Seattle, WA

#6 Oct 7, 2008
Renee_aka_Lesberita wrote:
And the worst part of all is that we still don't have a national hate crime bill that includes sexual orientation/gender identity. How many more GLBTQI's have to be brutally murdered before this happens?
That's a most excellent question. I too was saddened by this tragedy. However, the mentallity of the men who committed this vile deed, must, in my opinion, been as low as those brutes who under Adolph Hitler, in World War II, gassed to death millions of individuals including gay men; as well as Jew, Jehovah Witnesses, Gypsies, the differently abled, mentally challenged, etc.

Please click on this link, to learn about Gay men and the Holocaust:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gay_m...

For more general information, on the Holocaust; please click on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust

For information on Adolph Hitler, see this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler

Each of the above links have bibliographies, which you can click on for further documentation.

I post this in honor of Matthew Shepard.

WE MUST NEVER FORGET.
Rochrider

Phoenix, AZ

#7 Oct 7, 2008
RIP Matthew.. there are those still fighting so that your death was most certainly not in vain.

“Walk a moment in time with me”

Since: Nov 07

San Diego

#8 Oct 7, 2008
I will never forget when I got a call from a friend of mine in Cheyanne telling me to turn on the TV and watch the news. I was visiting my Aunt in Colorado and saw the story as it unfolded. My Aunts friend is a nurse at Poudre Valley Hosp. where he was later transferred to and she was one of the charge nurses on the ICU floor. It was so sad to hear and when we were told he had died, an even sadder day. May you live in our hearts forever Matthew and may you RIP knowing that the two cowards who did this have been caught and are paying for their crimes.

“Equality under the law for All”

Since: Jun 08

Fontana, CA

#9 Oct 7, 2008
RIP Matthew, we will not forget nor stop fighting for equality and protection under the law.

I hope there's a heaven because there needs to be a place where good people like Matthew can see true goodness, love, and acceptance at last.

Virginia Rae

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Catawba College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what happened to the dean? Apr '16 fliredy beutie 1
News Drescher: Gov. McCrory says journalists are dumb (Aug '13) Sep '13 Keefer 6
News NC gov's exit shakes up vote on gay marriage ban (Jan '12) Jan '12 WeTheSheeple 26
News RCCA brings Elvis tribute artist Stephen Freema... (Mar '09) Mar '09 MYOB 1
More from around the web