Sarah Palin earned $75,000 to speak a...

Sarah Palin earned $75,000 to speak at cash-strapped California university

There are 12 comments on the Post-Standard story from Jul 16, 2010, titled Sarah Palin earned $75,000 to speak at cash-strapped California university. In it, Post-Standard reports that:

Then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin helped celebrate Alaskan history with Auburn on June 6, 2009, by taking part in the first annual Founders Day Parade.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Post-Standard.

AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#1 Jul 16, 2010
So what?
Former Player-President Bill Clinton has earned a whopping 65 million since leaving office in 2001.

Since: Jun 10

Boise, ID

#2 Jul 16, 2010
Pres. Clinton was US president for 8 years and is a skilled speaker. Palin held two statewide positions in Alaska and quit both before the terms were finished, and is a lousy speaker whose speeches are all alike. Even if I agreed with her politics I would find it hard to listen to her speak.
Sally Forth

Copperas Cove, TX

#3 Jul 16, 2010
She's entitled to make all the money she can and to have all the fun she can.

She's not entitled to be taken seriously. She's an entertainer, nothing more or less.
AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#4 Jul 19, 2010
GarColga wrote:
Pres. Clinton was US president for 8 years and is a skilled speaker. Palin held two statewide positions in Alaska and quit both before the terms were finished, and is a lousy speaker whose speeches are all alike. Even if I agreed with her politics I would find it hard to listen to her speak.
The Real Culprits In This Meltdown
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Monday, September 15, 2008 4:20 PM PT
Big Government: Barack Obama and Democrats blame the historic financial turmoil on the market. But if it's dysfunctional, Democrats during the Clinton years are a prime reason for it.

Obama in a statement yesterday blamed the shocking new round of subprime-related bankruptcies on the free-market system, and specifically the "trickle-down" economics of the Bush administration, which he tried to gig opponent John McCain for wanting to extend.
But it was the Clinton administration, obsessed with multiculturalism, that dictated where mortgage lenders could lend, and originally helped create the market for the high-risk subprime loans now infecting like a retrovirus the balance sheets of many of Wall Street's most revered institutions.
Tough new regulations forced lenders into high-risk areas where they had no choice but to lower lending standards to make the loans that sound business practices had previously guarded against making. It was either that or face stiff government penalties.
The untold story in this whole national crisis is that President Clinton put on steroids the Community Redevelopment Act, a well-intended Carter-era law designed to encourage minority homeownership. And in so doing, he helped create the market for the risky subprime loans that he and Democrats now decry as not only greedy but "predatory."
Yes, the market was fueled by greed and overleveraging in the secondary market for subprimes, vis-a-vis mortgaged-backed securities traded on Wall Street. But the seed was planted in the '90s by Clinton and his social engineers. They were the political catalyst behind this slow-motion financial train wreck.
And it was the Clinton administration that mismanaged the quasi-governmental agencies that over the decades have come to manage the real estate market in America.
As soon as Clinton crony Franklin Delano Raines took the helm in 1999 at Fannie Mae, for example, he used it as his personal piggy bank, looting it for a total of almost $100 million in compensation by the time he left in early 2005 under an ethical cloud.

AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#5 Jul 19, 2010
Other Clinton cronies, including Janet Reno aide Jamie Gorelick, padded their pockets to the tune of another $75 million.

Raines was accused of overstating earnings and shifting losses so he and other senior executives could earn big bonuses.
In the end, Fannie had to pay a record $400 million civil fine for SEC and other violations, while also agreeing as part of a settlement to make changes in its accounting procedures and ways of managing risk.
But it was too little, too late. Raines had reportedly steered Fannie Mae business to subprime giant Countrywide Financial, which was saved from bankruptcy by Bank of America.
At the same time, the Clinton administration was pushing Fannie and her brother Freddie Mac to buy more mortgages from low-income households.
The Clinton-era corruption, combined with unprecedented catering to affordable-housing lobbyists, resulted in today's nationalization of both Fannie and Freddie, a move that is expected to cost taxpayers tens of billions of dollars.
And the worst is far from over. By the time it is, we'll all be paying for Clinton's social experiment, one that Obama hopes to trump with a whole new round of meddling in the housing and jobs markets. In fact, the social experiment Obama has planned could dwarf both the Great Society and New Deal in size and scope.
There's a political root cause to this mess that we ignore at our peril. If we blame the wrong culprits, we'll learn the wrong lessons. And taxpayers will be on the hook for even larger bailouts down the road.
But the government-can-do-no-wrong crowd just doesn't get it. They won't acknowledge the law of unintended consequences from well-meaning, if misguided, acts.
Obama and Democrats on the Hill think even more regulation and more interference in the market will solve the problem their policies helped cause. For now, unarmed by the historic record, conventional wisdom is buying into their blame-business-first rhetoric and bigger-government solutions.
While government arguably has a role in helping low-income folks buy a home, Clinton went overboard by strong-arming lenders with tougher and tougher regulations, which only led to lenders taking on hundreds of billions in subprime bilge.
Market failure? Hardly. Once again, this crisis has government's fingerprints all over it.

AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#6 Jul 19, 2010
GarColga wrote:
So you ever listen to Hillary?
Monotone hillary
Researcher

Copperas Cove, TX

#7 Jul 19, 2010
July 2010 TIME POLL

QUESTION: Which administration do you think is more to blame for the economic problems the country faces today: the Bush administration or the Obama administration?

Bush administration 61%
Obama administration 27%
Someone else 5%
No answer / Don't know 8%

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8...
In
AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#9 Jul 19, 2010
And she still didn't destroy our economy!
AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#10 Jul 19, 2010
Researcher wrote:
July 2010 TIME POLL
QUESTION: Which administration do you think is more to blame for the economic problems the country faces today: the Bush administration or the Obama administration?
Bush administration 61%
Obama administration 27%
Someone else 5%
No answer / Don't know 8%
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8...
In
No doubt the same idiots that put the democrats in office!
AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#11 Jul 19, 2010
Even Clinton admitted that the Democrats were guilty of destroying Fannie and Freddie... and responsible for the current crisis that threatens to bring the entire U.S. economy to the brink of recession: I think that the responsibility that the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by the Republicans and the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards and tighten up a little on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Who were the top recipients of Fannie Mae's money? The top three were:
Chris Dodd (D-CT),
Barack Obama (D-IL)
and John Kerry (D-MA).
And where are these Fannie Mae executives now?
Franklin Raines ($90 million in compensation): Economic Adviser to Barack Obama
Jamie Gorelick ($26 million): Major Democratic Fundraiser
James Johnson ($21 million): Adviser to Barack Obama
AnnDee

Green Bay, WI

#12 Jul 19, 2010
But the democrats are counting on us being as stupid as they think we are!

“READ. FACT CHECK. VOTE.”

Since: Nov 09

Fayetteville, AR

#13 Jul 19, 2010
$75,000? Suckers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cal State Stanislaus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Turlock farmers market kicks off (May '13) May '13 Riverbank resident 4
News Dr. Merle: CSUB gives Haggard, Owens top honors (Mar '13) Mar '13 the ocean poet- b... 1
News Serna Jr. Charter student takes second in state... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Kharis Powell 1
News Reaction in Modesto to teacher-student relation... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Jay Leno 1
News Illegal immigration back door (Dec '10) Dec '10 AmberDru 6
News Sarah Palin Speech Contract Revealed (Aug '10) Nov '10 x0x0x 27
News Sarah Palin's speaking contract revealed (Aug '10) Aug '10 Oh My 14
More from around the web