Latino college students in Long Beach...

Latino college students in Long Beach struggle to graduate in college graduation struggle

There are 24 comments on the Press-Telegram story from May 6, 2012, titled Latino college students in Long Beach struggle to graduate in college graduation struggle. In it, Press-Telegram reports that:

Gerardo Raya enrolled in college in 2008 with the hopes of graduating in four years and scoring a job as an animator or illustrator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dr Struggle

Los Angeles, CA

#1 May 6, 2012
Reread that headline, and then try to tell me Kelly Puente hasn't suffered a severe head injury.
One Earring

United States

#2 May 6, 2012
Four years in COMMUNITY COLLEGE, age 24, earrings in each ear, career goal is to draw cartoons for a living.

As Tom Leykis says when a caller reports he's in community college: "Oh, so you're in the 13th grade ..."
Morris the Cat

Long Beach, CA

#3 May 7, 2012
Only Hispanics have probems... I see...
SP Landlord

Studio City, CA

#4 May 7, 2012
Morris the Cat wrote:
Only Hispanics have probems... I see...
What a half ass college major (Animator/Illustrator), young people living in fantysland
Susan Rothman

Long Beach, CA

#5 May 7, 2012
SP Landlord wrote:
<quoted text>
What a half ass college major (Animator/Illustrator), young people living in fantysland
If only we had raised our kids to sober up and use common sense. Californians were all so preoccupied with living our fantasy of being the World's Oldest Teenagers ourselves that we didn't do our jobs as responsible parents. Or, VOTE like responsible citizens. Pitiful.
SP Landlord

Studio City, CA

#6 May 7, 2012
Susan Rothman wrote:
<quoted text>
If only we had raised our kids to sober up and use common sense. Californians were all so preoccupied with living our fantasy of being the World's Oldest Teenagers ourselves that we didn't do our jobs as responsible parents. Or, VOTE like responsible citizens. Pitiful.
Pitifull parents and kids, highly prevelant in OC & S Bay beachtowns .. only exception is Asian parents and kids .. like the way you aptly described the phenom of Worlds Oldest Teenagers ourselfs
PT Editor

Los Angeles, CA

#7 May 7, 2012
I'm still struggling with Kelly Puente's struggle to struggle for a headline about struggling.
Gordon

Los Angeles, CA

#8 May 7, 2012
Same thing happened in Africa. The third worlders don't have the collective intelligence to maintain what their white patriarchs provided, much less build upon it. Take a good look at Johannesberg post-apartied. A thriving city is now a ghetto wasteland. Zimbabwe, Kenya, same story.

This is a technology society, and we're importing house painters and McDonald's employees by the millions. That's going to hurt us in the long run. A lot.

As robotic technology continues to grow, there will be less and less for Mexicans to do, aside from embracing the drug trade sex trafficking, government fraud, and other economic mainstays of Mexican life.
SP Landlord

Studio City, CA

#9 May 7, 2012
PT Staff Writer Kelly Puente must have struggled to pass Journalism 101, she is all over the map, stilted, tired, stale and poorly contructed, with some bogus stats thrown in. Read the one about the percentage of Latinos needed to fill the future LB workforce.

This piece was not written to inform, but more along the lines of patronzing special interests groups. Who in the hell is the editor at the failing PT, who authorized and reviewed this. This article did not even pass the bar for a HS newspaper.

Aside from all of this, my heart goes out to those two students who were hiuhgkighted in the article..bdest of luck to them
SP Landlord

Studio City, CA

#10 May 7, 2012
those were typos
Sgt Pointless

United States

#11 May 7, 2012
So they've lowered the qualifications for graduating high school, junior college, state colleges, and even real colleges, but blacks and hispanics are still flunking out at an alarming rate, portending the end of our children's quality of life forever.

And we're still importing them in.

This is why "Saving Private Ryan" isn't a drama. It's a three-stooges comedy. If only they knew what they were dying for, they wouldn't have left the ships off omaha beach.
Tom Traynor

AOL

#12 May 8, 2012
Huh.......Have we deteriorated to the point where the impact on "latinos" is supposed to consume us all?

Are we so pitiful that the Latino Hyphen is all that matters?

Have California citizens lost our minds or just our spine and our backbone?
Frees Beach

Long Beach, CA

#13 May 11, 2012
Not that I endorse this pathetic "article" by Kelly Puente, but reporters do not write headlines. This story's so-called reporting and headline are actually more evidence of the PT's decline.
Ronald

Bellflower, CA

#14 May 11, 2012
Frees Beach wrote:
Not that I endorse this pathetic "article" by Kelly Puente, but reporters do not write headlines. This story's so-called reporting and headline are actually more evidence of the PT's decline.
Frees Beach.

Ever since the revolutionaries seized control of the unbelievably expensive taxpayer funded Government institutions of higher "learning", their primary purpose has been changed from one of education, into one of instilling political correctness into the minds of their taxpayer subsidized students. This is being done for the purpose of furthering revolutionary interests. One of the tactics the revolutionaries use is to provide "free" Government "educations" to those who have neither the innate ability or the motivation to benefit from real Government education.

Unfortunately, revolutionary employment laws have resulted in those same possessors of Government educational degrees becoming gatekeepers to ensure political correctness prevails superior over other considerations. Nowhere is this more evident than in "news" organizations. There, real news is relegated to the back seat while politically correct reportage takes precedence over alerting the public to the real issues and the very real dangers they face because of that ignoring.

Ronald
Palmer

Long Beach, CA

#15 May 11, 2012
It's the same empire/globalism tactices that weakened and ended other rival empires - Hapsburg, Ottoman, Soviet, etc. You back oppressed minority groups against the center. So with nations today, they import these groups and then work the same corrosive programs.
Professor Jones

Studio City, CA

#16 May 11, 2012
Palmer wrote:
It's the same empire/globalism tactices that weakened and ended other rival empires - Hapsburg, Ottoman, Soviet, etc. You back oppressed minority groups against the center. So with nations today, they import these groups and then work the same corrosive programs.
Not bad, always enjoy historical references. Keep in mind the International Finaciers hand in globalization and their tactics (Euro)

Since this thread relates to college students, this potential group of dupes will forever be an indentured class (student loans), easily manipulated. These newspaper article which stress the so called Struggle help to set the stage.
Palmer

Long Beach, CA

#17 May 11, 2012
Professor Jones wrote:
<quoted text>Keep in mind the International Finaciers ...(Euro)...
Something like over a quadrillion in derivatives contracts outstanding along with the massive sovereign debts. And austerity won't cut it significantly and is being rejected. What do they do?
Professor Jones

Studio City, CA

#18 May 11, 2012
JP Morgan in the financial news today, on their 3B overnight deriviatives loss, sent the market down today, but supposedly everything will be OK due to high quarterly profit .. apparently one of their Whale traders in Europe, can move the markets with one wag of his little finger .. FOX was doing follow up reports that the market remains unregulated, despite calls for oversight

Try to catch it on Cable news tonight.
Palmer

Long Beach, CA

#19 May 11, 2012
Ok, i guess it's full steam ahead.
pt reader

United States

#20 May 11, 2012
Frees Beach wrote:
Well, Paul Eakins is the city editor now, so he should get some of the credit. He was a pretty pathetic performer as a reporter, as I recall, so it stands to reason he should be producing unintended comic results in his new position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cal State Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fearing ICE raids, San Jose father tells childr... Feb '18 Red Crosse 50
News California Student Writes Op-Ed About How Milk ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Ronald 3
News Pilot academy at Banning High faces closure, in... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Ronald 2
News Long Beach City College may push new bond measure (Feb '16) Feb '16 Ronald 3
News Transit's Impact on Congestion (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ronald 1
News AIDS crisis loomed over Generation X (Jan '16) Jan '16 Xstain Mullah Fra... 4
News Cal State Long Beach: Undocumented immigrant ca... (Sep '15) Oct '15 Amos 15