CSULB center helps the aging

CSULB center helps the aging

There are 18 comments on the Press-Telegram story from Jan 29, 2011, titled CSULB center helps the aging. In it, Press-Telegram reports that:

Tom Mayo, his wife Teresa Mayo and Herb Bramley, top, attend the grand opening of the Center for Active Aging at the Cal State Long Beach Pyramid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press-Telegram.

Lloyd

Long Beach, CA

#1 Feb 2, 2011
why is there no contact information?
Lloyd

Long Beach, CA

#2 Feb 2, 2011
why no contact info?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#3 Feb 2, 2011
What a good way for the politicians to waste even more hard earned taxpayer money. Its likely most of the elderly would prefer to be just left alone. At their age they deserve a little consideration to be free from taxpayer funded Government programs of this nature.

This scheme reminds me of the scam the politicians run through "community health program" that is being run by the expensive taxpayer funded university system. The program parks its noisy AIDS van in close proximity to homes, blasting noise from its loud air compressor into homes and into the surrounding neighborhood for 6 or 8 hours at a time.

The rationale' for this outrage is to "provide services" for tax eating individuals in such a manner so as to not suffer inconvenience upon them by requiring them to go to central locations to be diagnosed.

In the meantime, even more hard earned taxpayer money is being wasted by the wasteful University system through "investigations" into whether noise causes health problems - something we "less educated" overtaxed Long Beachers could tell the University AIDS van operators without needing taxpayer money to conduct another wasteful and expensive taxpayer funded "study".

Ronald
ProfG

Fair Oaks, CA

#4 Feb 2, 2011
Ronald wrote:
What a good way for the politicians to waste even more hard earned taxpayer money. Its likely most of the elderly would prefer to be just left alone. At their age they deserve a little consideration to be free from taxpayer funded Government programs of this nature.
This scheme reminds me of the scam the politicians run through "community health program" that is being run by the expensive taxpayer funded university system. The program parks its noisy AIDS van in close proximity to homes, blasting noise from its loud air compressor into homes and into the surrounding neighborhood for 6 or 8 hours at a time.
The rationale' for this outrage is to "provide services" for tax eating individuals in such a manner so as to not suffer inconvenience upon them by requiring them to go to central locations to be diagnosed.
In the meantime, even more hard earned taxpayer money is being wasted by the wasteful University system through "investigations" into whether noise causes health problems - something we "less educated" overtaxed Long Beachers could tell the University AIDS van operators without needing taxpayer money to conduct another wasteful and expensive taxpayer funded "study".
Ronald
Don't judge another until you've walked in their shoes. Have you ever been old?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#5 Feb 2, 2011
ProfG wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't judge another until you've walked in their shoes. Have you ever been old?
ProfG

No. I am hoping the corrupt politicians will stiff the taxpaying minority a little more,(to the extent that it is still possible to do do), so they will suffer the cost of providing me a taxpayer funded "education" at Government institutions of higher "learning".

Once the Government certifies me as being "educated", I am hoping the politicians will have their pals running the expensive taxpayer funded "education" scam provide me with some taxpayer funded "make-work", using the guise of taxpayer funded Government social need "care" of the old folks.

Ronald
ProfG

Fair Oaks, CA

#6 Feb 2, 2011
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
ProfG
No. I am hoping the corrupt politicians will stiff the taxpaying minority a little more,(to the extent that it is still possible to do do), so they will suffer the cost of providing me a taxpayer funded "education" at Government institutions of higher "learning".
Once the Government certifies me as being "educated", I am hoping the politicians will have their pals running the expensive taxpayer funded "education" scam provide me with some taxpayer funded "make-work", using the guise of taxpayer funded Government social need "care" of the old folks.
Ronald
I understand!
artcraft manor

Cerritos, CA

#7 Feb 3, 2011
All comments before you must be a student at the University!!!!!!I tell you after paying taxes for 50 or 60 years I guess this is OK for us old folks that even pay property tax that pays for school children schools Primary/Jr High?and HS and probably pre- schools and I do not have any of those ages children "ZERO" so what's wrong getting a freebees yes and if I could get some classes for free I'll take them too>
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#8 Feb 3, 2011
artcraft manor wrote:
All comments before you must be a student at the University!!!!!!I tell you after paying taxes for 50 or 60 years I guess this is OK for us old folks that even pay property tax that pays for school children schools Primary/Jr High?and HS and probably pre- schools and I do not have any of those ages children "ZERO" so what's wrong getting a freebees yes and if I could get some classes for free I'll take them too>
Well, for one thing, the money is simply no longer there. The cost of Government has grown exponentially. The ability of the overburdened taxpaying minority to pay for those increased costs has grown only to the extent the politicians have been able to successfully engineer inflation to affect the decline in the worth of our currency. I take it you have been volunteering to pay "into" your taxes all these years? Why not quit paying "into" them and see what the Government does to you?

It is sad commentary, but the inability of the corrupt politicians to live within the means of the overburdened taxpaying minority to pay will result in untold suffering, most of which will be borne by you old folks and we innocent little children.

Ronald
redfox

AOL

#9 Feb 4, 2011
@Ronald-have you payed your taxes>? Have you children?The taxpayer is paying for them. Just wait till you are"old" if you get old. You have there two choices die "young" or get "old".You are a selfish "me" person without compassion (if you even know the word). What goes around comes around. I wish all the elderly what they are at least morally entitled too, that they get it. With out them what would you have?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#10 Feb 4, 2011
redfox wrote:
@Ronald-have you payed your taxes>? Have you children?The taxpayer is paying for them. Just wait till you are"old" if you get old. You have there two choices die "young" or get "old".You are a selfish "me" person without compassion (if you even know the word). What goes around comes around. I wish all the elderly what they are at least morally entitled too, that they get it. With out them what would you have?
redfox.

Why blame me? I am not one of the free-spending out-of-control politicians who imposed draconian taxes on the declining Californian taxpaying minority so the elderly 60s 70s people could party on these past 40 years or so.

I realize it is a revolutionary concept that is no longer being taught by our expensive taxpayer funded Government controlled institutions of higher "learning", but the simple fact is that when one spends, one must pay. That the payment is made through even greater taxation of the declining minority of taxpaying Californians, or whether that payment is made through clever schemes cooked up by the politicians to pay by destroying what remains of the worth of the Government $Dollar (the so-called "eating the seed money" phenomena) makes no difference. The fact remains that in one manner or the other, payment must be made when the bill comes due.

I feel badly for the old folks, because the politicians will no longer be able to reward their political supporters with expensive taxpayer funded "positions" - the ostensive purpose of which is to "care" for them.(that is to say, control them by regimenting them even more than Government has already been able to do) But how about us kids who, when all is cut and dried, will get stuck with the bill?

Ronald
Dick

Bellflower, CA

#11 Feb 16, 2011
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
ProfG
No. I am hoping the corrupt politicians will stiff the taxpaying minority a little more,(to the extent that it is still possible to do do), so they will suffer the cost of providing me a taxpayer funded "education" at Government institutions of higher "learning".
Once the Government certifies me as being "educated", I am hoping the politicians will have their pals running the expensive taxpayer funded "education" scam provide me with some taxpayer funded "make-work", using the guise of taxpayer funded Government social need "care" of the old folks.
Ronald
No need for you to worry about the government certifying you as educated.
alumni

Whittier, CA

#12 Mar 7, 2011
@Ronald- Im confused by your commments, the center at CSULB is no different from a 24 hr or LA fitness. The members pay to use the center, just like any other gym, not to mention students use the center for weight lifting/aerobic courses and pay for it through tuition/fees. "Its likely most of the elderly would prefer to be just left alone." Im not sure if you have ever been to a 24 hr fitness or gym like it, but I can see it being intimidating place for a senior or the other clients the CSULB center takes in, like those that have suffered strokes. Not to mention most of the larger gyms are not constructed to accommodate the needs of the senior population, like those in wheel chairs for example. Where are these people supposed to go? and like I said, its not like they are using the center for free. The likely goal for the center is to turn a profit through memberships and student tuition so that the taxpayers are not paying for the seniors, some of which have fought in wars to ensure that you could safely rant about how they are undeserving of a center you obviously know nothing about.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#13 Mar 7, 2011
alumni wrote:
@Ronald- Im confused by your commments, the center at CSULB is no different from a 24 hr or LA fitness. The members pay to use the center, just like any other gym, not to mention students use the center for weight lifting/aerobic courses and pay for it through tuition/fees. "Its likely most of the elderly would prefer to be just left alone." Im not sure if you have ever been to a 24 hr fitness or gym like it, but I can see it being intimidating place for a senior or the other clients the CSULB center takes in, like those that have suffered strokes. Not to mention most of the larger gyms are not constructed to accommodate the needs of the senior population, like those in wheel chairs for example. Where are these people supposed to go? and like I said, its not like they are using the center for free. The likely goal for the center is to turn a profit through memberships and student tuition so that the taxpayers are not paying for the seniors, some of which have fought in wars to ensure that you could safely rant about how they are undeserving of a center you obviously know nothing about.
alumni.

I agree. The expensive taxpayer funded Government University system could never "make a profit" simply because few prospective students could ever afford to pay their fair share of the true cost. Most of that cost is hidden by one subterfuge or another. Payment of those hidden, and much of the apparent cost falls on the backs of hard working overtaxed ordinary California taxpayers - most of whom do not attend, nor have they ever attended this expensive decaying monument to California's past.

You make the unsubstantiated claim that this wasteful system - a system set up by, and maintained for the benefit of, the operators of the con - has as its objective the making of a profit from enrolled student costs and fees. In case you have not been keeping up with the times, the primary purpose of the Government "education" system since the revolution has been social engineering and social restructuring. For example, it is unlikely much "profit" is being generated from Government's "disadvantaged" taxpayer supported Thug people who have caused the lowering of standards by their presence in our once great education system.

As sops to their supporters, corrupt politicians create all kinds of justification for "make-work" projects that incarcerate "the American people" into Government camps. Incarceration in those camps begins with the conditioning of children even before they are old enough to attend school, or to even understand what the Government is "teaching" them. They continue in the camps throughout their life cycle, due to Government's controlled medical industry inventing ever more "diseases" for which "treatment" in the camps is not only desirable, but socially necessary as well.

Let us not continue this abnormal life experience until death. Let us free the old folks from the greedy clutches of those who operate Government's expensive Big taxpayer funded "education" system.

Ronald

alumni

Whittier, CA

#14 Mar 8, 2011
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
alumni.
I agree. The expensive taxpayer funded Government University system could never "make a profit" simply because few prospective students could ever afford to pay their fair share of the true cost. Most of that cost is hidden by one subterfuge or another. Payment of those hidden, and much of the apparent cost falls on the backs of hard working overtaxed ordinary California taxpayers - most of whom do not attend, nor have they ever attended this expensive decaying monument to California's past.
You make the unsubstantiated claim that this wasteful system - a system set up by, and maintained for the benefit of, the operators of the con - has as its objective the making of a profit from enrolled student costs and fees. In case you have not been keeping up with the times, the primary purpose of the Government "education" system since the revolution has been social engineering and social restructuring. For example, it is unlikely much "profit" is being generated from Government's "disadvantaged" taxpayer supported Thug people who have caused the lowering of standards by their presence in our once great education system.
As sops to their supporters, corrupt politicians create all kinds of justification for "make-work" projects that incarcerate "the American people" into Government camps. Incarceration in those camps begins with the conditioning of children even before they are old enough to attend school, or to even understand what the Government is "teaching" them. They continue in the camps throughout their life cycle, due to Government's controlled medical industry inventing ever more "diseases" for which "treatment" in the camps is not only desirable, but socially necessary as well.
Let us not continue this abnormal life experience until death. Let us free the old folks from the greedy clutches of those who operate Government's expensive Big taxpayer funded "education" system.
Ronald
Ronald,
I agree that the money taken in from student tuition would not be able to turn a profit, but that is not the main purpose of the center. It is not a student center, they just built a rec and wellness center on campus for the students. The center we are taking about is for the senior community. These seniors pay to become members of the gym. This is how the center would hopefully turn a profit to provide a better service for these seniors. No one is forcing them to become members. They can make the decision for themselves, so there is no need to free anyone from the greedy clutches of the education system.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#15 Mar 8, 2011
alumni wrote:
<quoted text>
Ronald,
I agree that the money taken in from student tuition would not be able to turn a profit, but that is not the main purpose of the center. It is not a student center, they just built a rec and wellness center on campus for the students. The center we are taking about is for the senior community. These seniors pay to become members of the gym. This is how the center would hopefully turn a profit to provide a better service for these seniors. No one is forcing them to become members. They can make the decision for themselves, so there is no need to free anyone from the greedy clutches of the education system.
alumni.

I see the point you are making. There is another point that you are overlooking, though. In order to build the extravagantly expensive outmoded California University system infrastructure wherein this "Senior center" is located, untold $Billions of hard earned taxpayer money was used. Further, untold $Millions of hard earned taxpayer money is needed on a continuing basis to maintain it. Much of the cost is so well hidden with one subterfuge or device of another that no one knows the true cost that is being imposed on overburdened California taxpayer. These costs include - but are not limited to - taxpayer money used to subsidize tuition for students who attend those Government schools.

The California University system may have been appropriate for pre revolutionary times. Since the revolution, the politicians and the Government judges have turned the State into "a third world nation".(so to speak) Today, it is no longer appropriate. In today's modern age, it is just another crumbling outmoded and expensive edifice to long gone days.

If Government insists on incarcerating and regimenting the old folks until the very day they die, it is unnecessary to concentrate them in expensive taxpayer funded State University camps using the guise of the "education" umbrella.

Ronald
say goodbye

Newport Beach, CA

#16 Mar 8, 2011
Unfortunately, what most Americans are completely unaware of is that "inflation" is simply a stealth tax levied by the government by simply printing money that is not tied to production. This approach to government really got underway with the Roosevelt administration, under the best of intentions, and has since become the de facto way for politicians to work their favorite social engineering programs.
As we've seen, the 'welfare for blacks' initiative, intended to prop blacks up so they might be able to move forward, ended up backfiring, creating more out-of-wedlock babies, "welfare mammys," and sharp increase of incarceration during that era than the entire history of blacks in America before.
Ironically, Clinton finally put an end to it, thanks to irresistible pressure of republicans, and blacks are still feeling the reverberating negative effects to their culture, thanks to whites trying to socially engineer blacks, while having little understanding of them to begin with. It's the primary reason Mexican's rightfully claim that they do the work that "blacks won't do."
Dems shaped a black culture that has been infantilized by the white man's fantasy of government paternalism. Too many of them are incompetent to function in a progressive, technological society, and depend of either working for the government, or getting welfare checks in some form from the government. Thanks to generations of welfare checks, they've come to expect it, and god help this country, and our penal system, if the checks and jobs start going away.
The support of blacks by the government, not to mention the peasant class of mexicans we are currently importing by the thousands every week, is an unsustainable economic model. That is, we can't print enough money to make it work, without the economy collapsing, as it is currently doing in slow motion, while media talking heads are busy coming up with new jokes about Sarah Palin.
ctj

AOL

#17 Mar 8, 2011
say goodbye wrote:
Unfortunately, what most Americans are completely unaware of is that "inflation" is simply a stealth tax levied by the government by simply printing money that is not tied to production. This approach to government really got underway with the Roosevelt administration, under the best of intentions, and has since become the de facto way for politicians to work their favorite social engineering programs.
Sorry, too much of a distortion to be left uncorrected. You're correct in locating inflation as money not tied to production, but incorrect in linking it to FDR, because in 1945 the US was producing 1/2 of the WORLDS physical product. This was quite different from today where money is chasing money, overhead and make work - 90% service economy.
Hank

AOL

#18 Mar 9, 2011
ctj wrote:
<quoted text>You're correct in locating inflation as money not tied to production, but incorrect in linking it to FDR, because in 1945 the US was producing 1/2 of the WORLDS physical product. This was quite different from today where money is chasing money, overhead and make work - 90% service economy.
The situation is different today. Some say that we don't need as many in production and the like because we are specialized in the more technical and way more productive, so as not to require a mass number in this employment to maintain our relative high standard of living.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cal State Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Long Beach City College may push new bond measure Feb '16 Ronald 3
News Transit's Impact on Congestion Jan '16 Ronald 1
News AIDS crisis loomed over Generation X (Jan '16) Jan '16 Xstain Mullah Fra... 4
News Cal State Long Beach: Undocumented immigrant ca... (Sep '15) Oct '15 Amos 15
News All learning relies on literacy (May '15) May '15 Apex 1
News Long Beach homes a hard buy for todaya s middle... (May '15) May '15 RealRealtor 3
News Middle class minorities face unique challenges ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Billy Bob 7
More from around the web