CSU hunger strikers continue their protest

May 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Breeze

John Garcia, 21, a double major at California State University, Dominguez Hills, is one of eleven CSU students who have been staging a hunger strike for a week.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of26
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Save the "hunger strikes" for a monumental struggle, not some chickenshit transitory stuff like tuition hikes. These are all agitators looking for attention, more about their movement than the tuition hikes.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

This is what education does to the college student? Can't they find a more 'practical' way of protesting, after all they are paying for an education but where is the brains in all this protest? Starving yourself proves what? How many others have tried this tactic and found out they lost in the long run. After the hunger strike there will be a fund raiser for food for these students, is that the purpose? Make sense here! You got the attention but where are the brains? This is what a college education teaches...really?
Susan Rothman

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

The Mad Man wrote:
This is what education does to the college student? Can't they find a more 'practical' way of protesting, after all they are paying for an education but where is the brains in all this protest? Starving yourself proves what? How many others have tried this tactic and found out they lost in the long run. After the hunger strike there will be a fund raiser for food for these students, is that the purpose? Make sense here! You got the attention but where are the brains? This is what a college education teaches...really?
Hey Buddy! Give these students a break. Their own parents sold them out to the most expensive union players in America. Their own parents elected the union owed politicians who have decimated our States ability to pay it's bills in return for campaign support.

It is wrong to blame the students. The adults enabled our state to collapse on THEIR watch. The kids are just the Victims o California's out of control big government waste, fraud and abuse.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Susan Rothman wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Buddy! Give these students a break. Their own parents sold them out to the most expensive union players in America. Their own parents elected the union owed politicians who have decimated our States ability to pay it's bills in return for campaign support.
It is wrong to blame the students. The adults enabled our state to collapse on THEIR watch. The kids are just the Victims o California's out of control big government waste, fraud and abuse.
Wait a minute here...? I understand what the union players are trying for and hopefully will not succeed but I also think the student can do something more than staving themselves. I don't see where the students benefit from this protest. I see the corruption of the college system and union officials but the students I think can take a more pro active response in one way or another. I don't offer any suggestions because I don't want to be the result of action or the blame but seriously the students can find another avenue to show their disgust of the system. Yes, these college administrators may have been appointed and elected by the people but students vote also and could have untied in their protest of voting privileges. The American public really does not read the real issues behind the voting ballots but the students KNOW what is at stake here and read and understand their voting ballots. I know I research and read all the find print before making and educated guess before I vote but I don't think the public know how to do that. They are just sheep that are lead to the slaughter by the headlines they read. That is why Long Beach is in the state it is in. No American voter really researches the issues involved here and why and how these issues come to the ballot. The American public is too lazy to really understand what issues are created and how to understand why these issues come to light. The news media takes care of all that for us and the stupid public reacts to that.
I give the students more credit than the American public because they take the time to read and understand what is at stake in the long run, not just what is printed. Today's college student knows more about politics than the politicians and congress. I just don't see where a hunger strike does the college student any good but then maybe they see a purpose that I don't understand. It's been a long time since I attended college and today's society has some strange values imposed on the college student. I just think the college student of today could find a more pro-active way of making their point instead of dying for their cause by starving. I know I wouldn't show my protest this way. I am sure there are other avenues to take or at least I would find one other than dying for a cause that may not win due to political pressure and stupidity of govt and news media. Now there's an idea, storm the news media with ideas and problems that need to be addressed. Put the pressure on the news media for a cause. Not just headlines....
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

These students have failed to study history and so have the above two anti labor posters. These tuition hikes have little to do with costs nor union affiliated staff (salaries).

Wall Street took the working class and the economic viablility of our State down.

The President's of the Cal State U's are not in a union and were foolish to push for thier own higher compensation. Also, giveway welfare programs took a dent in our economy.

Austerity programs and bag lunches for students and faculty alike are in order. The majority of these kid's parents are paying the tab (tuition), most of these students have never held a job.

If they cannot adapt, then screw them.
Susan Rothman

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

SP Landlord wrote:
These students have failed to study history and so have the above two anti labor posters. These tuition hikes have little to do with costs nor union affiliated staff (salaries).
Wall Street took the working class and the economic viablility of our State down.
The President's of the Cal State U's are not in a union and were foolish to push for thier own higher compensation. Also, giveway welfare programs took a dent in our economy.
Austerity programs and bag lunches for students and faculty alike are in order. The majority of these kid's parents are paying the tab (tuition), most of these students have never held a job.
If they cannot adapt, then screw them.
Interesting. You confuse being "anti union" with being against being crushed under the weight of the bloated ranks of overpaid, overpromised, overhired public employees. The two are completed different. Private Sector Unions are a great thing. The poison is when the two groups are mistakenly lumped together as ONE and the same. They are not.
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Susan Rothman wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. You confuse being "anti union" with being against being crushed under the weight of the bloated ranks of overpaid, overpromised, overhired public employees. The two are completed different. Private Sector Unions are a great thing. The poison is when the two groups are mistakenly lumped together as ONE and the same. They are not.
old stale rhetoric

all workers have right to organize .. public sectors are workers .. so just get over it

starting salaries for local teachers about 40K...rest my case

btw, i'm familiar with your semantics and aka's.. so change your writing style if you want to pull it off
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Susan Rothman wrote:
<quoted text>
Susan Rothman.

You are right. The Wagner Act is the basis for the legalization of organizing for purposes of collective bargaining in the private sector. Federal, State, and municipal employees were excluded from coverage under that legislation. After all, employees have no right to strike against the public.

Radical politicians in States such as California, however, granted a form of collective bargaining for State and municipal employees, particularly Big Government agent teachers. As time has shown, the pandering ideologically driven politicians shaking down the minority of Californians who pay taxes has proven to be disastrous. Primarily as a result of shoveling ever greater amounts of hard earned taxpayer money down the bottomless $$$ Big School $$$ rat hole, the State has become bankrupt, not to speak of having the nation's second highest unemployment rate.

Ronald
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Wait a minute! We are not talking about public sector Union's striking. Thirty Five states allow public sector (Organized Labor) collective bargaining. California being one of them.

FYI - There is also case law in Cal and other states supporting non public safety workers striking. Hint - NYC Sanitation workers.

Wisonsin Govnor not faring to well in recall forecasts.
Ellie

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Fasting is great for the colon. Glad to see these kids clearing all that toxins out of them. Hopefully, this will land them on the right nutrition track after they get tired.
KnowItAll

Tustin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

The students aren't starving. They are dieting. They are drinking fruit and veggie smoothies instead of eating solid food. What a joke. They aren't striking; they've turned vegan!
Dane T

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

SP Landlord wrote:
Wait a minute! We are not talking about public sector Union's striking. Thirty Five states allow public sector (Organized Labor) collective bargaining. California being one of them.
FYI - There is also case law in Cal and other states supporting non public safety workers striking. Hint - NYC Sanitation workers.
Wisonsin Govnor not faring to well in recall forecasts.
If only the public employees had to negotiate in Calif all would be fine. But, they just buy dems who let them write the most expensive schemes in american history. It was suicide for our state. We didn't wise up until it was too late. The day we substituted the unions for fair and managable civil service system we signed the death knoll for California.
Peter

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Dane T wrote:
<quoted text>
If only the public employees had to negotiate in Calif all would be fine. But, they just buy dems who let them write the most expensive schemes in american history. It was suicide for our state. We didn't wise up until it was too late. The day we substituted the unions for fair and managable civil service system we signed the death knoll for California.
I've never seen the use for unions in government jobs. It's not SUPPOSED to be a high-paying job!! That's why it's a "government job." The only reason to have them is political, in that it ensures those who couldn't function in the private sector (many blacks and hispanics) could pretend that they are functional, while we pretend they're functional. A trip to the DMV, otherwise known as "little haiti," will prove that's never been the case.
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Dane T wrote:
<quoted text>
A few ounces of truth to your posts, but way overstated.
Public sector jobs in general, amount to a lower middle class existence in Cal .. put in in context .. State and local gov't in trouble due to investments in Wall Street schemes and their recent crime of the Century, not the little librarian or teacher pulling down 65k after twenty five years
Jitterbug

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

SP Landlord wrote:
<quoted text>
A few ounces of truth to your posts, but way overstated.
Public sector jobs in general, amount to a lower middle class existence in Cal .. put in in context .. State and local gov't in trouble due to investments in Wall Street schemes and their recent crime of the Century, not the little librarian or teacher pulling down 65k after twenty five years
Why should public librarians be making 65K in the first place? You could get college student interns to do a lot of the work for nothing! Then pay an overseer 20K less, and you have a tight, functioning library for a fraction of it's operating costs. As far as teachers, 65K, medical, and a nice fat pension for 9 months work teaching 3rd grade is an extremely well paying job, considering the intelligence required for that job.

Unions are not needed for government jobs. If anyone is getting taken advantage of, there should be government sanctioned criteria for them to take it to an arbitor, not related in any way to connected to the schools.

There's a far cheaper way to organize our government, and unions are NOT the way anymore. We no longer have pit boss goons riding up in a Model T with billyclubs in the middle of the night to "learn the oakies." We have plenty of avenues in the private sector to make unfair treatment known. Geez, one twitter about an aching back can get people hopping. Just fine tune it for government workers, and leave unions OUT of it!

You need to pull your head out of the last century,and smell the good air, SPLandlord. Don't be a union ttwatt.
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

OK, many posters here endorse Unions for the private sector. Let's here your endorsements then for the Longshoremen (ILWU) and the United Auto Workers (UAW).

Company goons with billy clubs have been replaced with more effective measures to lower wages and displace workers.

Here's a hint on just one of Big Corporate's tactics - Offshore
Jittery

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

SP Landlord wrote:
OK, many posters here endorse Unions for the private sector. Let's here your endorsements then for the Longshoremen (ILWU) and the United Auto Workers (UAW).
Company goons with billy clubs have been replaced with more effective measures to lower wages and displace workers.
Here's a hint on just one of Big Corporate's tactics - Offshore
Offshore begs the question of why Union goons have gained so much power that they have a voice in our nations economic discourse to make going offshore a viable option in the first place.
However, I don't have any great ideas of how to handle unions in the private sector, since it's been proven time and again that without unions there, azzholez gonna be azzholz. Government unions aren't needed, however, since it's the public coffers, run allegedly by elected officials. The entire government is a union in a way. Why do we need unions to battle it's own union?
Dane T

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

I don't know the answer to the public employee mess but if it isn't solved California will go broke. No amount of tax increases will be enough. We can't blame the workers, the politicians sold us all out in return for campaign support. Most believe the City, County, and State politicians won't even do hard time for these crimes. What a mess.
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Dane T wrote:
I don't know the answer to the public employee mess but if it isn't solved California will go broke. No amount of tax increases will be enough. We can't blame the workers, the politicians sold us all out in return for campaign support. Most believe the City, County, and State politicians won't even do hard time for these crimes. What a mess.
Cal will not go broke, the true corp big power brokers and financiers will not allow it .. they just want to bleed it, then realign, larger corp profits the end result .. who was that earlier Barron of Wall Street, with the Mantra of buying opportunities when there is blood in the streets

Public Employee's are a small part of the equation and are being scape goated .. keep in mind that in generl the public employees receive salaries allowing for a marginal lower middle class existence
SP Landlord

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Some departments and programs in Cal could be abolished, those which were merely feel good one's established to enhance far left political agendas

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of26
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••