Lighting up in uniform: Study looks a...

Lighting up in uniform: Study looks at what makes soldiers reach for a pack of cigarettes or not

There are 14 comments on the Science Daily story from Jan 30, 2014, titled Lighting up in uniform: Study looks at what makes soldiers reach for a pack of cigarettes or not. In it, Science Daily reports that:

Is it possible to predict which soldier will start smoking and which one will maybe quit? Yes, say researchers in the US, especially when factors such as alcohol use, gender, a soldier's rank, war zone stressors and unit support are considered.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Science Daily.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#1 Jan 31, 2014
Without reading the article, I'll put forth that it may be the prospect of getting your ass shot off that may prompt a soldier to relax with a cigarette.
Viet Nam Vet

Frankfort, OH

#2 Feb 1, 2014
I did not smoke when I entered the military but it did not take long for me to start and it was for self-defense. Mine started in Basic Training.

The old "take 5, smoke if you've got them and if you don't got them, bum them." was the starter. Many times, the only breaks you recieved during the busy training day was the smoke breaks. Those who did not smoke were quickly pulled aside for every little crap job there was so you would "light up" so they would leave you alone for a few minutes. At a time when my monthly take home pay was only $99.00 a month, at 17 cents a pack, cigerettes were a bargain back then.

It took me 20 years to finally stop smoking.
Melany

Miami, FL

#3 Apr 3, 2014
Viet Nam Vet wrote:
I did not smoke when I entered the military but it did not take long for me to start and it was for self-defense. Mine started in Basic Training.
The old "take 5, smoke if you've got them and if you don't got them, bum them." was the starter. Many times, the only breaks you recieved during the busy training day was the smoke breaks. Those who did not smoke were quickly pulled aside for every little crap job there was so you would "light up" so they would leave you alone for a few minutes. At a time when my monthly take home pay was only $99.00 a month, at 17 cents a pack, cigerettes were a bargain back then.
It took me 20 years to finally stop smoking.
What year was this ?
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#4 Apr 8, 2014
Melany wrote:
<quoted text>
What year was this ?
1969. I also should mention that cigerettes were packed in every C Rat Meal (what they call Meals Ready to EAT today). They were unfiltered. Pall Mall and Chesterfield were two that I remember.
DUH IM Dan

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Apr 12, 2014
Dan wrote:
Without reading the article, I'll put forth that it may be the prospect of getting your ass shot off that may prompt a soldier to relax with a cigarette.
and when he needs to be fit he will hack and cough and fail the medical and get a discharge AND an early grave.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Apr 12, 2014
DUH IM Dan wrote:
<quoted text> and when he needs to be fit he will hack and cough and fail the medical and get a discharge AND an early grave.
Not the problem today. Todays veterans are kept at top performance levels by the drugs the military hands out. If you have a problem, there is a pill that will take care of it. That's why so many veterans are seeking drug rehab and experiencing mental health problems so soon after their discharge.
Gulf War Syndrome

Winnipeg, Canada

#7 Apr 13, 2014
Viet Nam Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>Not the problem today. Todays veterans are kept at top performance levels by the drugs the military hands out. If you have a problem, there is a pill that will take care of it. That's why so many veterans are seeking drug rehab and experiencing mental health problems so soon after their discharge.
What caused Gulf War Syndrome? I heard it was vaccines.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#8 Apr 13, 2014
Gulf War Syndrome wrote:
<quoted text> What caused Gulf War Syndrome? I heard it was vaccines.
Just like Viet Nam, there have been numerous causes for the ailments that our troops have experienced. Not really sure there is a single cause. All I can say is that it exists.
Gulf War Syndrome

Winnipeg, Canada

#9 Apr 14, 2014
Viet Nam Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>Just like Viet Nam, there have been numerous causes for the ailments that our troops have experienced. Not really sure there is a single cause. All I can say is that it exists.
do a search vaccines and GWS, you'll find out.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#10 Apr 14, 2014
Gulf War Syndrome wrote:
<quoted text> do a search vaccines and GWS, you'll find out.
I don't disagree that the vaccines are possible PART of the cause but can anyone say that they are the ONLY cause? For that matter SHOULD you say that one particular item caused a particular problem amoung a certain group of Veterans? I do not believe that you should limit yourself that way. If a veteran was healthy when they entered military service (the miliary says you were or they would not have kept you) and you had health problems after your military service, than the source of your problem occurred during your military service. That's all you really need to know. Look up "RAINBOW HERBICIDES" and you will find that during Viet Nam it was not just Agent Orange or its variants of Agent Orange Plus/Super Orange that was sprayed everywhere. They also used Agent Pink, Green, Purple, Blue and White, that we know of. There may have been others or even some expermental mixes that we will never even hear of. If I can prove I was there and that I now have health problems that COULD be linked to my military service, that's enough for me. I don't care what color caused my problems. They screwed up my health, it can't be reversed, so now let them pay dearly for the time I have left.
Viet Nam Veteran

Chillicothe, OH

#11 Apr 14, 2014
Sure wish Topix had a spell/grammer check.
Vaccines And GWS

Winnipeg, Canada

#12 Apr 15, 2014
Viet Nam Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>I don't disagree that the vaccines are possible PART of the cause but can anyone say that they are the ONLY cause? For that matter SHOULD you say that one particular item caused a particular problem amoung a certain group of Veterans? I do not believe that you should limit yourself that way. If a veteran was healthy when they entered military service (the miliary says you were or they would not have kept you) and you had health problems after your military service, than the source of your problem occurred during your military service. That's all you really need to know. Look up "RAINBOW HERBICIDES" and you will find that during Viet Nam it was not just Agent Orange or its variants of Agent Orange Plus/Super Orange that was sprayed everywhere. They also used Agent Pink, Green, Purple, Blue and White, that we know of. There may have been others or even some expermental mixes that we will never even hear of. If I can prove I was there and that I now have health problems that COULD be linked to my military service, that's enough for me. I don't care what color caused my problems. They screwed up my health, it can't be reversed, so now let them pay dearly for the time I have left.
The military has a long history of abusing its members in the name of duty etc. Taking advantage of them in order to test vaccines being just one. Its no allusion.
Viet Nam Vet

Chillicothe, OH

#13 Apr 16, 2014
Vaccines And GWS wrote:
<quoted text> The military has a long history of abusing its members in the name of duty etc. Taking advantage of them in order to test vaccines being just one. Its no allusion.
Sad but true. I met a WWII veteran who claimed he was part of a chemical weapons test at Fort Meade, Maryland during the war. He said they placed chemicals on several places on his arms and watched the reactions, than he was "geared up" in a protective suit and run through a "gas house", again they watched for reactions on his skin. When he obtained a copy of his military records, there was no record of him being at Fort Meade. He died of congestive heart failure before he ever solved the mystery of what they did to him. History tells us about the veterans who were exposed to radiation during our Nevada and South Pacific above ground nuclear tests.
Exactly

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Apr 16, 2014
Viet Nam Vet wrote:
<quoted text>Sad but true. I met a WWII veteran who claimed he was part of a chemical weapons test at Fort Meade, Maryland during the war. He said they placed chemicals on several places on his arms and watched the reactions, than he was "geared up" in a protective suit and run through a "gas house", again they watched for reactions on his skin. When he obtained a copy of his military records, there was no record of him being at Fort Meade. He died of congestive heart failure before he ever solved the mystery of what they did to him. History tells us about the veterans who were exposed to radiation during our Nevada and South Pacific above ground nuclear tests.
So I'm preaching to the choir. So when I claim vaccines cause Gulf War Syndrome (and many other illnesses) it shouldn't surprise any former military personel. So many survive war but not the service and its experimentation on captive test subjects under the guise of duty. Sad how duty is a one way street.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boston University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Changes in primate teeth linked to rise of monkeys Jul '16 Audi 5000 Mom 7
News Why Black People Answer When Farrakhan Calls (Oct '15) Jul '16 T-BOS 104
News Newton mural for shooting victims covered due t... (Feb '16) Feb '16 public trust viol... 1
News Postcard from Poznan: Visiting the Millano Grou... (Oct '15) Oct '15 PolakPotrafi 1
Anyone want two tix to Color Me Rad August 1st? (Jul '15) Jul '15 Colormeradtix2for... 1
News Family of Roslindale Man Sees Video of His Shoo... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Marie-Luise_J 1
News The Week (May '15) May '15 Will Dockery 1
More from around the web