At more U.S. workplaces, smokers need not apply

Jan 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KAUZ

FRIDAY, Jan. 13 -- Following the lead of the Cleveland Clinic and a growing number of other hospitals, Pennsylvania's Geisinger Health System will turn away job applicants who smoke starting next month.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2012
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Judged:

In this article, Michael Siegel says: "Despite being a pretty strong anti-smoking advocate and working in the health care field, I'm really opposed to these policies."

Every time I see his name in one of these articles, he claims to be a strong anti-smoking advocate. But then he is always against whatever smoking restriction is being proposed. What smoking restrictions does Siegel support?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Judged:

I have not tracked him that much, but the only step I've seen Siegel support is reversing/preventing the inclusion of preemption clauses in state smoking regulations. He was lead author of an article that stressed getting rid of these clauses as a top priority for public health advocates.

What bothers me in this particular article is the way they spin this as "punitive". It is not a question of punishment, but of withholding of reward.

Siegel sounds like a boob when he refers to nicotine use as "a group to which someone belongs".

His analogy casting nicotine addiction as equivalent to sexual activity in the home is pretty ludicrous as well.

There've been times when I though he might have some credibility, but this isn't one of them.
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the reply! He seems to be a go-to guy for a lot of these smoking articles, but he's almost always against whatever smoking control is being discussed.
Old Guy

Brookville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2012

Judged:

I love the judgement icons here. I'm "clueless" for asking a question. And your thoughtful reply is deemed "nuts" and "off topic", though it is neither.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2012

Old Guy wrote:
I love the judgement icons here. I'm "clueless" for asking a question. And your thoughtful reply is deemed "nuts" and "off topic", though it is neither.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Wait till you see what happens to THIS one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••