DOJ reviews Mass. rulings on fed gay marriage ban

There are 6 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jul 11, 2010, titled DOJ reviews Mass. rulings on fed gay marriage ban. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Torie Chinen-Ramento, left, Benjamin LeBehn, center, both of Honolulu, and Vincent Rosa, right, of Pearl City, show their disappointment after learning Hawaii Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#1 Jul 11, 2010
the best thing that they can do is appeal...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Jul 11, 2010
Travis A wrote:
the best thing that they can do is appeal...
Wrong. While I agree they most likely WILL appeal, I'm not as convinced that would be the best thing for advancing same-sex marriage equality right now. We've got a 50-50 chance of being overturned at the 1st Circuit, and even if we survive that, we've got a 50-50 chance of being overturned at the SCOTUS. Is that a chance to take right now? An unfavorable ruling at the SCOTUS sets us back to square one.

If there is no appeal, then the case ends here, with federal recogniztion of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts. That ruling will likely lead to other successful lawsuits in the other states with SSM. It will likely also lead to SSM being approved in states like NY & NJ.

Slow & steady wins the race.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#3 Jul 11, 2010
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. While I agree they most likely WILL appeal, I'm not as convinced that would be the best thing for advancing same-sex marriage equality right now. We've got a 50-50 chance of being overturned at the 1st Circuit, and even if we survive that, we've got a 50-50 chance of being overturned at the SCOTUS. Is that a chance to take right now? An unfavorable ruling at the SCOTUS sets us back to square one.
If there is no appeal, then the case ends here, with federal recogniztion of same-sex marriage in Massachusetts. That ruling will likely lead to other successful lawsuits in the other states with SSM. It will likely also lead to SSM being approved in states like NY & NJ.
Slow & steady wins the race.
i'd rather take my chances than stand on the side lines and wait....i say take it all the way to SCOTUS

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jul 11, 2010
Travis A wrote:
<quoted text>
i'd rather take my chances than stand on the side lines and wait....i say take it all the way to SCOTUS
Be careful what you wish for. With youth comes recklessness.

An unfavorable ruling at the SCOTUS could easily set us back a decade or more in our quest for federal recognition of same-sex marriages. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but for many older gay & lesbian couples a setback of a decade means they may never see marriage equality in their lifetime.

If the current ruling is left to stand without appeal, at least anyone can move to Massachusetts, get married, and get the state & federal benefits they so desperately need.

Either way, it's not up to us. The DOJ will most likely appeal. All we can do is hope for the best.

Since: Mar 07

Washington DC

#5 Jul 12, 2010
I have to agree with WeThe. Recklessness in this situation could be devestating. We should hope for no appeal so it stops here. For now. Then when the make up of SCOTUS changes, then we push the issue.

What really bugs me about groups like the so-called "Traditional Values Coalition" is when fighting to keep someone from healthcare, benefits, etc., was a traditional family value? Why don't we just stop giving benefits to ALL married people then.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 Jul 12, 2010
WHere's the next National Gay Rodeo being held. I think I might attend my first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boston College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McDonald's Wages and the False Hope of 'Good Mi... Apr 8 mentald 1
News Derrick Jackson: The positive numbers about you... Feb '15 Big Knob 2
News Drexel's freshman applications plunge - happily Jan '15 RandomLuck 1
News Scientist: Conn. could get damaging quakes Jan '15 Will 1
News Experts mystified by Plainfield's earthquake 's... Jan '15 Will 1
News Connecticut Officials Discuss State's Preparedn... Jan '15 Will 1
News Five earthquakes rattle eastern Connecticut Monday Jan '15 Shake rattle 1
More from around the web