Belmont builds cycling culture with master plan, May race

Sep 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Charlotte Observer

From left, Belmont City Council member Bill Toole, Community Event Supervisor Reba Edwards and South Main Cycles owner Steve Pepitone serve in a group that works to improve the bikeability of Belmont.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7

“Watching You”

Since: Dec 07

Belmont

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Part of the proposed master plan is to convert the far right lanes of HWY 74/29 to biking zones.

Bikers want to ride their bikes, more power to them. Using tax-money/grants to build a more paths sounds like something a child would do.

These people need to grow up.

Since: Jan 12

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

rlcrews wrote:
Part of the proposed master plan is to convert the far right lanes of HWY 74/29 to biking zones.
Bikers want to ride their bikes, more power to them. Using tax-money/grants to build a more paths sounds like something a child would do.
These people need to grow up.
I normally agree with you, but have to disagree with you on this topic.

It's almost like it's a crime to try to walk or ride a bike anywhere.

I would definitely ride my bike to the grocery store and to downtown if it wasn't so dangerous.
Bard

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

You can save people from their own stupidity. As in? Golf Carts and Bicycle on commuter roads where two lanes is dangerous for cars but bikes? almost suicide.

Simply the cyclists demanding to use S. Point Road as their route?

Then? One has to wonder why spend so much money for the whims of adults who show child-like reasoning skills.

Its not a question of the laws or the right to use a road if a cyclist. Its a question of probabilities and increasing the chances of accidents.

Common Sense.

Then? You have the cyclists and their little culture of snotty assholes who wear ridiculous outfits. hehehe.
nobody else

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

I tavel up and down South Point Rd ever day... These bike riders put everyone's life in danger.. This road is not wide enough..... Please o some where else...

“Watching You”

Since: Dec 07

Belmont

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Malcolm III wrote:
<quoted text>
I normally agree with you, but have to disagree with you on this topic.
It's almost like it's a crime to try to walk or ride a bike anywhere.
I would definitely ride my bike to the grocery store and to downtown if it wasn't so dangerous.
The Bard is right about the safety issues.

My main concern is, 1)Where does the money coming from to do this? and 2)What nuts came to the conclusion that HWY 74/29 would be a good biking corridor?(This may not be in the Observer article, but it was in the proposal I read.)

I used to bike almost every day....in Gastonia. I know the dangers. If bikes need special lanes and right-of-way, then they need to be regulated and bikers should be subject to these regulations. No free rides. That means licenses, tags, insurance, fines, tickets and possibly jail. Sort of takes the fun out of it and I'm sure the kids will love it.

I don't expect to change your opinions on this and that's OK. I don't ride anymore, but I would like to keep it free-for the kids. This city can't even complete the River Park, and now we suddenly need more bike routes? When did this become a Belmont priority?

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

I don't ride that much anymore because of the safety issues, but would if it were safer. Here's an interesting article on why people hate cyclists:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_scie...

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

rlcrews wrote:
<quoted text>
1)Where does the money coming from to do this? and
2)What nuts came to the conclusion that HWY 74/29 would be a good biking corridor?
To answer directly (with what little knowledge I have):

1) Where does the money come from? The money to do this study is coming from Federal Grants. You can rant and rave against this, but: if we don't spend it here in little ol' Belmont, they'll just spend it in Charlotte or one them damn Yankee cities up in New Jersey or somewhere.

2) What nuts came to the conclusion that HWY 74/29 would be a good biking corridor? I don't know, but I've ridden along that road a couple of times, and would only do so again out of necessity even if there were bike lanes. That said, there are people walking/riding bikes along here all the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Belmont Abbey College Discussions

Search the Belmont Abbey College Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Retired educator hopes to tell Gaston's story o... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Jane Looper Wilson 1
Housing Offered (Oct '12) Oct '12 Terri Jolly 1
Churches plan Blessing of the Animal services (Sep '12) Sep '12 Martin Luther 2
Belmont Rail Trail forging ahead (Jul '12) Jul '12 JFK 17
Catholic College's ''No Contraceptives'' Health... (Aug '09) Jan '12 Tax Payer View 27
Proud to be Living in the '94002' (Jan '12) Jan '12 scout 1
Thread Trail feasibility in Belmont slated for ... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Malcolm III 5
•••
•••
•••
•••