Gay bishop addresses Bates crowd on same-sex marriage

Jun 6, 2012 Full story: Bangor Daily News 57

LEWISTON, Maine - A standing-room-only crowd at Bates College Tuesday was met by a man who defines today's civil rights fight for same-sex couples and the challenges they face in terms of religious beliefs.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Listen to the Word

Bullhead City, AZ

#1 Jun 6, 2012
Therein in the problem. The article says this gay bishop "defines today's civil rights for same-sex couples and the challenges they face in terms of religious beliefs." If TEC allowed the Bible define issues on same sex couples rather than allowing a gay bishop to do so, TEC would be miles ahead -- as well as members ahead and money ahead.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#2 Jun 6, 2012
Great line by Bishop Robinson from the article.

Let’s not forget what an ‘ism’ is,” Bishop Gene Robinson reminded the crowd of nearly 200 people.“An ‘ism’ is prejudice plus the power to put that prejudice into practice.”

This is also interesting observation made in the article.

“Like every other state in the country Maine has tens of thousands of loving same-sex couples living in our state,” Matt McTighe, campaign manager for Mainers United for Marriage, said.“Our society is made stronger when all these loving, committed couples have the ability to marry.”

McTighe said the organization is working to raise public awareness. While he expects opposition to the referendum, mostly from out-of-state organizations, he is confident that the state is better poised to pass the issue this year than any other."

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#3 Jun 6, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
Great line by Bishop Robinson from the article.
Let’s not forget what an ‘ism’ is,” Bishop Gene Robinson reminded the crowd of nearly 200 people.“An ‘ism’ is prejudice plus the power to put that prejudice into practice" ...
gayism: an anti-scriptural prejudice plus the politically correct power to put that prejudice into practice.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#4 Jun 6, 2012
"He (Robinson) likened homophobia and people’s unwillingness to accept gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people to other well-known 'isms' such as racism ..."

Some muslims also claim that "islamophobia" is a form of racism, as if islam, or homosexuality for that matter, was also a "race".

#5 Jun 6, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
"He (Robinson) likened homophobia and people’s unwillingness to accept gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people to other well-known 'isms' such as racism ..."
Some muslims also claim that "islamophobia" is a form of racism, as if islam, or homosexuality for that matter, was also a "race".
And some people actually fall for your BS. What every shall we do? Cull the herd?

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#6 Jun 6, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
And some people actually fall for your BS ...
Do you seriously believe Robinson's BS claim that "homophobia" is akin to racism?

#7 Jun 7, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you seriously believe Robinson's BS claim that "homophobia" is akin to racism?
I believe that both are forms of the sin a hatred.

Remember that gays died and were cremated at Auswitch right along with the Jews the Slavs and Jehovah Witnesses.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#8 Jun 7, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that both are forms of the sin a hatred ...
Although all sin is hatred of God's laws and word, all hatred isn't "racism".

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#9 Jun 8, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Although all sin is hatred of God's laws and word, all hatred isn't "racism".
That's not what she said. Is that what you heard?

Seek mental health treatment, NOW......

The Mountain Empire

#10 Jun 8, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that both are forms of the sin a hatred.
Remember that gays died and were cremated at Auswitch right along with the Jews the Slavs and Jehovah Witnesses.
Joline thinks hatred is righteous.

No wonder I can smell the sulfur from here.

Hatred of a group of people, simply for being part of a group is bigotry.

It's also lazy thinking.

We have the poster child - joline....

#11 Jun 8, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Joline thinks hatred is righteous.
No wonder I can smell the sulfur from here.
Hatred of a group of people, simply for being part of a group is bigotry.
It's also lazy thinking.
We have the poster child - joline....
Yep, Mr. Null Set is a perfect example of a real genuine 'Orthodox' Christian.

Can you feel the love!

MR. Null Set Mediate on these words.

John 17

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one — 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

Isn’t verse 25 glorious!
Larry

Vancouver, Canada

#12 Jun 8, 2012
Naturalism, history, tradition and Spirituality all inform marriage is exclusively for a man and a woman!!.

The Mountain Empire

#13 Jun 9, 2012
Larry wrote:
Naturalism, history, tradition and Spirituality all inform marriage is exclusively for a man and a woman!!.
Poor David.

After they informed marriage did she remind them that she used to be arranged for money and political power?

Did she remind them the woman could be divorced for not producing a son?

Did she remind them that this was simply a transfer of property?

Ahh, the good old days.

How spiritual.

LOL....

“Indeed, I am!”

Since: Feb 09

As if it mattered . . .

#14 Jun 9, 2012
I was privileged to meet Bishop Robinson last year at the Chautauqua Institution when he gave a talk to the PFLAG group there. He is a wonderful man whose message resonates with the true spirit of Christ and Christianity.

Heterosexism has many similarities to the other "-isms" that he mentioned. It's based in the belief that being heterosexual is the natural and moral default, casting all other orientations as inferior or evil, just as racism is based in the belief that being one particular race is the natural and moral default, casting all other races as inferior or evil.

That kind of sexual chauvinism (there's another "-ism!") cause real harm to those whom it effects as well as those who practice it. I think Bishop Robinson hits the nail on the head.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#15 Jun 9, 2012
Emelye Waldherr wrote:
Heterosexism ...
DSM #?

The Mountain Empire

#16 Jun 10, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
DSM #?
How about the DSM# for homosexuality?

It doesn't exist??

Why did you lie to us joline and tell us yo were received in TEC OR married in TEC.

You do know these records are public information, easily verified.

You, sir, are a liar..........

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#17 Jun 10, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the DSM# for homosexuality?
It doesn't exist??...
Liar, we both know it once did.

The Mountain Empire

#18 Jun 11, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar, we both know it once did.
And we once thought the sun rotated around the earth.

Dumb ass......

The Mountain Empire

#19 Jun 11, 2012
Why did you lie to us joline and tell us yo were received in TEC OR married in TEC.

You do know these records are public information, easily verified.

You, sir, are a liar..........

“Indeed, I am!”

Since: Feb 09

As if it mattered . . .

#20 Jun 11, 2012
I don't think there are any "-isms" in the DSM at all, Joe. Can you show me one?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bates College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maine mayor: Somalis should leave culture at door (Oct '12) Oct '12 johneyonetime 1
Lady Gaga sends love to Indonesian fans (May '12) May '12 TORA SUDIRO 1
Justin Bieber wanted for questioning in scuffle (May '12) May '12 Lonewolf 3
Mentoring diversity - notable South Carolinians... (Feb '11) Nov '11 Rosa Bogar 8
Museum dedicated to civil rights leader Mays opens (Jun '11) Jun '11 RayOne 2
I have a dream (Apr '10) May '10 Badtothebone 3
11 arrested after Maine college party gets rowdy (May '10) May '10 Dick Kilbourne 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Bates College People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••