Supporters rally behind Ball State prof who teaches Intelligent Design

Jun 18, 2013 Full story: World Magazine 6

Ball State University is investigating complaints that Assistant Professor Eric Hedin crossed a line when he encouraged classroom discussion that included multiple views of life's origins.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1 Jun 19, 2013
Myths do not belong in science classes.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#2 Jun 20, 2013
The article said PZ Myers supports this. That doesn't sound like him at all!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#3 Jun 20, 2013
llDayo wrote:
Without having read the article, or what PZ Myers said, I can only say that I dont have AS MUCH of a problem with a college professor teaching ID as I do a PUBLIC SCHOOL teacher teaching ID .... AS SCIENCE.

Reason being -- and assuming the course syllabus indicates the instructor's predilection for ID, the students can 'opt out' of the class, or take a different instructor.

By the time a college student reaches that level, that student's decisions regarding the literal authenticity of the Bible is largely settled.

In addition, if the number of instructors are limited, students are well within their rights to lodge a complaint to the college administration against this professor if he/she chooses to do so.

Student complaints in higher education are taken VERY seriously.

“Valar Morghulis”

Since: Jun 13

All Men Must Die

#4 Jun 20, 2013
Ball State University is in Muncie, IN. That's ground zero for godbot stupidity.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5 Jun 20, 2013
llDayo wrote:
It's pretty much expected that the religious nuts will claim anyone accepts something, usually followed by a quote mine to "prove" it, even when they oppose it. Personally, Myers annoys me, him and Thunderf00t got into a very lame debacle and neither came out of it clean, but I don't think he's stupid enough to support creationism being taught as science either.

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#6 Jun 26, 2013
Why are Guddunits drawn to any sciences? Do they wake up one morning and think: "Praise Gud! When I grow up I'm gunna be a dang Biology teacher and spread "the word."

Scientist or magician? Pick one! Shall we demand that we be allowed to tell them all about evolution at their next sunday school class? Their ensuing whining would be a hoot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ball State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Facing Project: Engaging Muncie IN by story... Dec 25 Mirabell_Out 1
At Rest for 50 Years (Mar '10) Nov '14 don 3
Teen charged after smear campaign disgusts rest... Oct '14 Spotted Girl 7
Education briefs (Mar '11) Aug '14 MaltaMon 16
Shull - Kelsey Aug '14 Penelope 1
New ISP troopers hit the road Aug '14 Idealist101 1
James Thomas Bailey, 84 (Jul '14) Jul '14 Jaturs 1
More from around the web