Wilmore discusses trading in Sims Field

Wilmore discusses trading in Sims Field

There are 1 comment on the Jessamine Journal story from Jun 15, 2011, titled Wilmore discusses trading in Sims Field. In it, Jessamine Journal reports that:

Asbury Theological Seminary is moving forward with plans to add more student housing on its campus, and planners have asked the Wilmore City Council to consider a proposal in which the seminary would acquire the land Sims Field currently sits on.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Jessamine Journal.

Insight

Dayton, OH

#1 Jun 21, 2011
I think the issue was Asbury affiliates have requested to expand parking in their now approved housing development. Being portrayed as hungry predators, they seek to prey on Wilmore's land. Instead of being appeased with their (Asbury's) recent approval for single living housing, they have set their unsatisfying eyes on something more valuable to the community; Sims Park and Ball Field.
Now the predator wishes not to be satisfied by their first thirst, but continues to hunt for more land in order to enlarge their PARKING.

YES, I SAID IT!! They want to obtain "destroy" the historical landmark, known as Sims Park, in order to demolish it and replace it with allegedly unmaintained parking areas.
Their goal? To build a community for only the single living students. A community that consists of a huge green space, a fountain, and other frivolous "wants." While setting up their community with this green space, they are in return taking away our (Wilmore's community) park; where many generations have laughed, played, and shouted for hooray with sweat droplets coursing down, after a well played softball game.
Could the predator be sufficed with the first agreed amendment??????????
Can Asbury (the school that teaches of our God's values and morals) be appeased with rebuilding nice new housing verses the current unmaintained (and that isn't alleged, just go look at it! Oh that is, if the HUGE man made fire hasn't already taken its toll) dormitories, tennis courts, and basketball field??
Will the predator, who I once viewed as a well respected collegiate facility, ever determine when enough is enough????

What about our community? Our park? A ball field that was honored after Mr. Sims, mayor of Wilmore for over TWENTY YEARS? I ask you, when will the hunt stop?

Will we be known as a college town?- Lacking luster and void of all of noted traditions?

Or will be known as....

the town that mimics Mayberry; with it's old fashioned Christmas, Old fashioned soda fountain, family businesses (that haven't been overtaken by huge corporations), hanging baskets on each light pole, and a waving at each passerby because most likely, we grew up with that person???

Will we still be able to take OUR children to the places that made Wilmore...well Wilmore.

We are different. But once we "sell" out, forfeit our land, after land, after land... What will we be reduced to..

A college town with the historical families of Wilmore having no "home" to identify with anymore.

That is what makes us unique, Wilmore hasn't been ripped apart from the legacy.. and I like the legacy no matter how old fashioned it is.

DIFFERENT NOTE:
The park has been neglected for many years and it is time we take pride in our town before it unravels and focus on what makes us as Wilmore, the community, shine. Let's fix these issues so that everyone, can sing Kumbaya...

MEANING:having spiritual CLOSENESS, COMPASSION, and UNITY>>

how can we do that with two separate communities? The College/Seminary and Wilmore?? None of those attributes will exist at this rate...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asbury Theological Seminary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Methodists in crisis over gay marriage, church law (Feb '14) Feb '14 david traversa 6
News United Methodist Upper New York bishop making v... (Sep '13) Oct '13 myside 2
News Wilmore council divided on taxes (Jun '12) Jun '12 tax payer 1
News Help needed to save piece of history (Oct '11) Oct '11 Dont Know 2
News Wilmore OKs pricier light fixtures (Sep '10) Sep '10 you got it 1
News Rev. Steven R. Pescosolido new senior pastor at... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Registered Voter 1
News For born-again governor, love is a matter of faith (Jul '09) Jul '09 Honesty and Integ... 1
More from around the web