Arizona Grades Teachers on Fluency

Arizona Grades Teachers on Fluency

There are 112 comments on the online.wsj.com story from Dec 30, 2010, titled Arizona Grades Teachers on Fluency. In it, online.wsj.com reports that:

By MIRIAM JORDAN PHOENIX - As the academic year winds down, Creighton School Principal Rosemary Agneessens faces a wrenching decision: what to do with veteran teachers whom the state education department says don't speak English well enough.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at online.wsj.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#104 Dec 31, 2010
The person who posted this is Mexican-American? Maybe you are not paying attention.
Electric Wizard wrote:
I think everybody is missing the point. It's not that they don't want to learn English, they can't. They are too stupid to learn it.
Flowy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would have read the forum you would know that she is Mexican American.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#105 Dec 31, 2010
About 15yrs ago, I ordered a bunch of 'back to school' clothes for one of my kids. It was thru the JCPenny's Catalog via the phone. The Representative was Indian (India). I couldn't understand a dang thing she said. This order took over 25mins. to take...there wasn't that many items. Length of time due to language barrier. Long story short-EVERYTHING arrived the wrong size, color, etc.

Now I know to ask for a supervisor if I can't understand the Representative. This includes 'ebononics'. Sometimes I can't understand the Supervisor. When this happens, I cancel the order and no longer do business with that company.

Just try-TRY to get a problem solved with a Copier/Fax machine nowadays! lol

Ever had a doctor you can't understand a word he/she says???? Go to the U of M hospital and find out for yourself.

Our children should be taught correct English.(Complete with pronunciation-no lazy tongues-like I often write in jest.)
Bruin

Tempe, AZ

#106 Dec 31, 2010
laughingiris wrote:
About 15yrs ago, I ordered a bunch of 'back to school' clothes for one of my kids. It was thru the JCPenny's Catalog via the phone. The Representative was Indian (India). I couldn't understand a dang thing she said. This order took over 25mins. to take...there wasn't that many items. Length of time due to language barrier. Long story short-EVERYTHING arrived the wrong size, color, etc.
Now I know to ask for a supervisor if I can't understand the Representative. This includes 'ebononics'. Sometimes I can't understand the Supervisor. When this happens, I cancel the order and no longer do business with that company.
Just try-TRY to get a problem solved with a Copier/Fax machine nowadays! lol
Ever had a doctor you can't understand a word he/she says???? Go to the U of M hospital and find out for yourself.
Our children should be taught correct English.(Complete with pronunciation-no lazy tongues-like I often write in jest.)
I have occasion to speak to operators in India now and then, and I find that their command of the English language is far superior to many of the hispanics here in Arizona. Unlike the immigrants from Mexico and South America, there jobs depend on being understood by their customers. Sign language is not an option.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#107 Dec 31, 2010
Arizona consistently ranks at the very bottom in academics and the very top in teen pregnancy.

This new program of "grading teachers on English fluency" is nothing but a thinly veiled effort to weed out non-white teachers. It's just another example of the types of regressive racially non-neutral policies that the power brokers here in Arizona insist on dedicating their time and energy to, while the State continues to slide down the fiscal and economic black hole.
Desert Rat

Silver Springs, NV

#108 Dec 31, 2010
Bruin wrote:
<quoted text>
I have occasion to speak to operators in India now and then, and I find that their command of the English language is far superior to many of the hispanics here in Arizona. Unlike the immigrants from Mexico and South America, there jobs depend on being understood by their customers. Sign language is not an option.
I believe that it depends upon the level of education required. Many "customer service" jobs require only warm bodies, and their level of English reflects that. The more education required, generally the higher the level of proficiency in English. I knew an Indian Electrical Engineer who sounded like an Oxford Don, complete with upper-class British accent.
love cotulla

United States

#109 Dec 31, 2010
Exactly why I will go broke to put my daughter in private school or homeschool. If you can't speak English you shouldn't be a teacher in America.

“iYa Basta!”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#110 Dec 31, 2010
davy wrote:
The person who posted this is Mexican-American? Maybe you are not paying attention.
Electric Wizard wrote:
I think everybody is missing the point. It's not that they don't want to learn English, they can't. They are too stupid to learn it.<quoted text>
you quoted Gloria85 when you said

"That's what you get for being poor uneducated white trash."

Gloria85 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get the joke...

So I assumed you were talking about her. Sorry if I misunderstood.
chuckle at you

Gig Harbor, WA

#111 Jan 1, 2011
Fed Up wrote:
These people can be here 100 years and not speak proper English because their's so many of them they don't have to. They take over neighborhoods and Spanish then becomes the "official language!!"
I LOVE JAN BREWER
I have Hispanic friends who can point out the abuse
of the English language in your post, Fed Up. You
are like a lot of scared or threatened Americans
because you are scarcely different from them. Two
steps forward on their part and you are behind them.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#112 Jan 1, 2011
dragoon70056 wrote:
Sounds like an easy decision to me. Only question I have is, why in the hell are teaching in the first place if they can't speak English?
It's Arizona. Have you ever checked the academic standards of the big two universities in the state? Besides, what would you expect from people who voted _for_ John McCain and against Martin Luther King Jr. day for nearly 20 years each?

Since: Oct 08

#113 Jan 1, 2011
what is so hard about firing them. easy solution...no speaky english no teachy in classroom

“Reduce immigration levels”

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

#114 Jan 1, 2011
ILLEGALS have permeated every city and bankrupted more and more hospitals, stolen more jobs, sullied more schools while milking the "free" lunches, and trashed more communities with barrio blight and gang crime (Hispanics are 19x as likely to gang bang as whites).

When they tried the big "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" Kennedy-McCain sham and scam in 2006-2007, Congress got more angry reaction BY FAR than EVER BEFORE! No kidding, the switchboards and computers crashed from the incoming calls and e-mails, even though at first a majority of inattentive senators had been in favor of the amnesty scam.

cont
So what to do if you are the Left and ethnocentric Hispanics? First they went with the vacuous false challenge--> "We cannot simply deport 12 million people!"

Then they hit upon a sentimental nugget of obfuscation...they started whining about "the poor innocent children who have done nothing wrong" in an attempt to thaw the hearts of Middle Americans!

They have had much of the "remote elites" in Congress supporting this ploy stratagem because it SOUNDS good to those not focused on the issue.

But the good news is that the pro-amnesty ilk among key senators have become born again border enforcement guys-- Amnesty John McVain and Lindsey Grahamnesty have had "come to Jesus, born again experiences" with their voters who threatened to toss them out. Only 3 years ago, those quislings were hugging ILLEGAL aliens...now suddenly, they are, "Shocked! Shocked to see that ILLEGALS have flooded into America!"

If the Left could not get this "easy" amnesty thru in the Lame Duck session with wall-to-wall liberals there, the tide may have turned for good here, because 2/3 of America is rightly STRONGLY AGAINST amnesty in ANY form!--->

A solid 2/3 of Americans with righteous indignation oppose making amnesty an easier path for ILLEGAL aliens per liberal CNN polling:

/2010/04/13/cnn-poll-two-third s-of-americans-dont-want-amnes ty/index.html

Alexander Hamilton wrote: "To admit foreigners indiscriminately to the rights of citizens the moment they put foot in our country would be nothing less than to admit the Grecian horse into the citadel of our liberty and sovereignty."
Those words are more true today than 200 years ago.

Our greatest challenge?... stanching the ILLEGAL alien invasion.

It has little directly to do with the fact that over 80% of ILLEGAL aliens are Hispanic per se, BUT it has a lot to do with their typically being poor and undereducated.

America can well use SOME LEGAL immigrants today, BUT only the educated and skilled will become net contributors.

Join the sacred fight to save America TODAY! It is EASY to get engaged and satisfying to help preserve the greatest nation the world has known...American Exceptionalism is REAL!

If we allow Washington to put 12 million ILLEGAL aliens on a short path to amnesty, America is LOST FOREVER.

The ObaMessiah and his far Left plan a new attempt at "comprehensive immigration reform" (scamnesty) before long. He has even been considering an Executive Order to grant 12 million amnesty! They KNOW that poor, ignorant ILLEGALS are all 'Crat big entitlement guvment voters in waiting!

Per the respected Heritage Foundation, amnesty for 12 million would mean 100 million net new mainly poor and ignorant in just 20 years due to high procreation rates and "chain migration" of poor relatives. Each ILLEGAL alien family would drain 1.4 MILLION dollars more in government services used over a lifetime than it EVER paid in ANY form of taxes...and they would never really pay income taxes anyway.

YOU can help save America!

Keep rattling the cages in Congress so that money flowing from the special interests trying to sell out America for cheap labor or more big government power will seem less "special" to them.

cont
Chalky

Tempe, AZ

#116 Jan 1, 2011
ArizonaLawyer wrote:
Arizona consistently ranks at the very bottom in academics and the very top in teen pregnancy.
This new program of "grading teachers on English fluency" is nothing but a thinly veiled effort to weed out non-white teachers. It's just another example of the types of regressive racially non-neutral policies that the power brokers here in Arizona insist on dedicating their time and energy to, while the State continues to slide down the fiscal and economic black hole.
If it weren't for people like you, and the highly paid union thugs at he heads of the unions, there would be more accountancy in the choice of and retention of good teachers in the system. Hiring hispanics on the basis of fairness to skin color and retaining them in the face of blatant incompetency leads the very conditions which you point out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Racial differences seen among fitness levels in... (Apr '15) Jun 20 Lane 56
News Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) Jun 7 Star wars 41
News ASU Autism Professor Promotes Anti-Vaccine Film... Apr '16 CDC Rep 1
News Johnny Depp Describes GOP Frontrunner Donald Tr... Mar '16 wild child 1
News Tewksbury must drop Feb '16 hammerhead 2
News King: Parties mocking black culture prove racis... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Drilling for the ... 4
News The association between sleep disturbances and ... (Apr '10) Oct '15 RudolphMCasey 4
More from around the web