Apr 20, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KOLD-TV Tucson
Nine Arizona State University students were arrested Tuesday at the state Capitol in Phoenix during a protest against a sweeping immigration bill intended to ramp up law enforcement efforts in Arizona.
Comments (Page 3)
Mexico has a radical idea for a rational immigration policy that most Americans would love. However, Mexican officials haven’t been sharing that idea with us as they press for our Congress to adopt the McCain-Kennedy immigration reform bill.
That's too bad, because Mexico, which annually deports more illegal aliens than the United States does, has much to teach us about how it handles the immigration issue. Under Mexican law, it is a felony to be an illegal alien in Mexico.
our illegal immigration problem. Mexico has a single, streamlined law that ensures that foreign visitors and immigrants are:
• in the country legally;
• have the means to sustain themselves economically;
• not destined to be burdens on society;
• of economic and social benefit to society;
• of good character and have no criminal records; and
• contributors to the general well-being of the nation.
The law also ensures that:
• immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;
• foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;
• foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country’s internal politics;
• foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;
• foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;
• those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.
Who could disagree with such a law? It makes perfect sense. The Mexican constitution strictly defines the rights of citizens -- and the denial of many fundamental rights to non-citizens, illegal and illegal. Under the constitution, the Ley General de PoblaciÃ³n, or
General Law on Population, spells out specifically the country's immigration policy.
It is an interesting law -- and one that should cause us all to ask, Why is our great southern neighbor pushing us to water down our own immigration laws and policies, when its own immigration restrictions are the toughest on the continent? If a felony is a
crime punishable by more than one year in prison, then Mexican law makes it a felony to be an illegal alien in Mexico.
If the United States adopted such statutes, Mexico no doubt would denounce it as a manifestation of American racism and bigotry.
We looked at the immigration provisions of the Mexican constitution. Now let's look at Mexico's main immigration law.
Mexico welcomes only foreigners who will be useful to Mexican society:
• Foreigners are admitted into Mexico "according to their possibilities of contributing to national progress." (Article 32)
• Immigration officials must "ensure" that "immigrants will be useful elements for the country and that they have the necessary funds for their sustenance" and for their dependents.(Article 34)
• Foreigners may be barred from the country if their presence upsets "the equilibrium of the national demographics," when foreigners are deemed detrimental to "economic or national interests," when they do not behave like good citizens in their own country, when they have broken Mexican laws, and when "they are not found to be physically or mentally healthy." (Article 37)
• The Secretary of Governance may "suspend or prohibit the admission of foreigners when he determines it to be in the national interest." (Article 38)
Mexican authorities must keep track of every single person in the country:
• Federal, local and municipal police must cooperate with federal immigration authorities upon request, i.e., to assist in the arrests of illegal immigrants.(Article 73)
• A National Population Registry keeps track of "every single individual who comprises the population of the country," and verifies each individual's identity.(Articles 85 and 86)
• A national Catalog of Foreigners tr
“Music Soothes the Beast”
Since: Feb 10
You can do Magic -America
|Comprehensive Writing Assistance||Feb '14||frankiefaegan||1|
|Fraternity Suspended For Whitest MLK "Black Out...||Jan '14||Gibbz||10|
|Frat suspended over 'offensive' MLK party||Jan '14||Shalimarr||1|
|Research linking autism symptoms to gut microbe...||Dec '13||This Means||5|
|Blame rape victims for drinking?||Nov '13||Sterkfontein Swartkrans||1|
|Enhance your concentration||Nov '13||Michael||1|
|Report: Obama Brings Chilling Effect on Journalism||Oct '13||Too BAD||21|