Students arrested in protest over sta...

Students arrested in protest over state's immigration legislation

There are 43 comments on the KOLD-TV Tucson story from Apr 20, 2010, titled Students arrested in protest over state's immigration legislation. In it, KOLD-TV Tucson reports that:

Nine Arizona State University students were arrested Tuesday at the state Capitol in Phoenix during a protest against a sweeping immigration bill intended to ramp up law enforcement efforts in Arizona.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOLD-TV Tucson.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 10

United States

#1 Apr 21, 2010
For the record there is a huge difference between legal and illegal immigration. I don't live in Arizona however,if I did I would do everything possible to keep illegal aliens out of my state.They are mostly illiterate, some are criminals,and many will suck our social services dry.I work with many illegal immigrants and most do not want to embrace our language.The students at the university are being naive.Immigrants have to wait there turn to come into our country....sneaking in the back door is wrong on so many levels.We need a border that is sealed tight. Americans deserve to feel safe. Stop playing the race card.I donot want to pay the price for all the problems illegals cause.
Bonnie

Boise, ID

#2 Apr 21, 2010
I hope the Students find themselves in Mexico.
Kevin

Mexico

#4 Apr 21, 2010
I'm a U.S. citizen born in Az.. If this law passes I will never speak to a offical in Az. in English again.This law is wrong !!!!! To you others who think this is a good law please stay out of Az. It's people like you that have changed Az. I think Az. needs a law that if your not born here you can't vote
I'll waste Police officers time.
Drunk Drivers Kill Kids

Watseka, IL

#5 Apr 21, 2010
Wisco wrote:
For the record there is a huge difference between legal and illegal immigration. I don't live in Arizona however,if I did I would do everything possible to keep illegal aliens out of my state.They are mostly illiterate, some are criminals,and many will suck our social services dry..
Yes indeed. The illegals are the losers who can't make it in their home country so they come here to live off the freebies. Highly skilled immigrants should be welcomed into america, but not the bums and illiterates.
Ingrid

Denton, TX

#6 Apr 21, 2010
If you say that us immigrants, being either legal or illegal, are mostly illiterate, you should do some revisions of your own capacities of using your native language. For your information there and their are two completely different words. "Immigrants have to wait there turn to come into our country...." So make sure you really know how to use those words correctly before you criticize people.
katerina

Gilbert, AZ

#8 Apr 22, 2010
oh thank god you mentioned that ingrid.:)
many of us not only speak english perfectly, but spanish as well. how about you wisco? maybe a smattering of italian or german? some people are so ignorant.
More Raids

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Apr 22, 2010
Bonnie wrote:
I hope the Students find themselves in Mexico.
I hope all them jerks wind up in Mexico! I`m sick of them!

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#10 Apr 22, 2010
katerina wrote:
oh thank god you mentioned that ingrid.:)
many of us not only speak english perfectly, but spanish as well. how about you wisco? maybe a smattering of italian or german? some people are so ignorant.
Right out of Saul Alinsky's two books "Reveille for Radicals" (1946) and
"Rules for Radicals" (1971) which formulated tactical battle plans for the radical left (Democrats).

Alinsky's rules include:

* "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counterattack ridicule. Also, it infuriates the opposition, who then react to your advantage."

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#11 Apr 22, 2010
Ingrid wrote:
If you say that us immigrants, being either legal or illegal, are mostly illiterate, you should do some revisions of your own capacities of using your native language. For your information there and their are two completely different words. "Immigrants have to wait there turn to come into our country...." So make sure you really know how to use those words correctly before you criticize people.
Read post above.

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#12 Apr 22, 2010
Quote:

Education Gap

THE REALITIES OF EDUCATION IN LATIN AMERICA

Without a high-level education, Latin American children will continue to
lack the skills necessary for entering the workforce and participating in
the increasingly competitive global economy.

a.. 50 million people in Latin America cannot read or write.

b.. Latin Americans receive an average of six years of schooling, compared
to nine-and-a-half years in the OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation
and Development) countries.

c.. Nearly one-third of children in primary school in Latin America repeat
a grade. The additional cost to the region's education systems has been
estimated at $4 billion per year.

d.. Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Peru rank behind Uganda, Zambia, Botswana
and Burundi in the quality of their math and science education.

e.. In Mexico, only 13% of adults receive a high school diploma versus 87%
of American adults.

f.. Over 50% of Mexican and Brazilian 15-year old youth are functionally
illiterate and thus unable to compete in today's economy.

CONTRIBUTORS TO LATIN AMERICA'S EDUCATION CRISIS

1. HIGH DROP-OUT RATE THROUGHOUT LATIN AMERICA

The heart of the problem is the drop-out rate -- children living in poverty
are not staying in school.

a.. 92% of Latin American children begin primary school, but only 32%
continue on to secondary school (the U.S. equivalant of middle/high school).
Even fewer ultimately graduate.

b.. Approximately 40 million children and adolescents in Latin America
drop out of school to live or work on the streets each year.

c.. It is estimated that 95% of children have access to school in Brazil,
but only 59% of them finish the eighth grade.

d.. It is well established that school dropouts have worse outcomes,
including in terms of mental health status, than do those youth who stay in
school.

2. INEQUALITY IN LATIN AMERICA

Unequal societies are less efficient at converting growth into poverty
reduction. In Latin America, the education gap mirrors the income gap
between rich and poor.

a.. Levels of inequality in Latin America are the highest in the world --
at least one in three households and two in five people live below the
poverty line.
a.. 220 million Latin Americans (about 44% of the region's population)
live on less than $2 per day. Over half of them are children.
a.. In Brazil, children in the bottom income quartile complete an average
of four years of school versus over ten years completed by children in the
top income quartile.

3. LATIN AMERICA'S EDUCATION SPENDING

Despite increases in past years, spending on elementary education is still
relatively low throughout the region.

a.. Per capita spending on primary education in Latin America still
averages only 15% of U.S. levels.
a.. Latin American universities, which serve less than 10% of the
population, receive a disproportionate share of education dollars compared
to primary education.(In Brazil, public universities have only 2% of all
pupils, but receive 25% of all federal education funds.

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Quote:

"The never ending racial profiling stories. You're right it's racial
profiling! If you have a large community of illegal immigrants in China that
are white 6' tall and speak english being questioned while those of Asian
decent are not questioned, wouldn't that be racial profiling? Get over
yourselves people, if the legal hispanic community along with all other
races are tired of this racial profiling then maybe they should do something
about the illegal situation, like reporting them! Since when do we as
Americans have to submit to having our rights usurped to protect people that
have not earned the right to be called Americans? This is not an elitest
comment, if I go to Mexico, Canada or England, I am a guest in their country
and they will for sure know I'm there and have every right to single me out
to ask questions of me. Get over it, especially the news media and this
paper, you perpertuate the hate stories and the "human suffering" stories as
if you own them and want to do something about them. Admit it, without the
illegals you would shrivel up and die without a cause. I have a cause for
you, why don't you write about whats happening to good people that live here
legally, go to work everyday and pay our taxes but we still get accused of
being inhumane, racist and greedy just because we don't get behind saving
the illegal aliens. And the people that want to shout racial profiling keep
shouting. "
lawful

West Babylon, NY

#14 Apr 22, 2010
katerina wrote:
oh thank god you mentioned that ingrid.:)
many of us not only speak english perfectly, but spanish as well. how about you wisco? maybe a smattering of italian or german? some people are so ignorant.
and some, like you, are just bigots. Italians or Germans?? some people are so ignorant, they keep confusing ILLEGAL vs. LEGAL immigration. don't care the color of your skin, just your green card or citizenship status. stop sneaking into this country and then DEMANDING things.
Kevin

Mexico

#15 Apr 22, 2010
Cricket 23 wrote:
Quote:
Education Gap
THE REALITIES OF EDUCATION IN LATIN AMERICA
Without a high-level education, Latin American children will continue to
lack the skills necessary for entering the workforce and participating in
the increasingly competitive global economy.
a.. 50 million people in Latin America cannot read or write.
b.. Latin Americans receive an average of six years of schooling, compared
to nine-and-a-half years in the OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation
and Development) countries.
c.. Nearly one-third of children in primary school in Latin America repeat
a grade. The additional cost to the region's education systems has been
estimated at $4 billion per year.
d.. Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Peru rank behind Uganda, Zambia, Botswana
and Burundi in the quality of their math and science education.
e.. In Mexico, only 13% of adults receive a high school diploma versus 87%
of American adults.
f.. Over 50% of Mexican and Brazilian 15-year old youth are functionally
illiterate and thus unable to compete in today's economy.
CONTRIBUTORS TO LATIN AMERICA'S EDUCATION CRISIS
1. HIGH DROP-OUT RATE THROUGHOUT LATIN AMERICA
The heart of the problem is the drop-out rate -- children living in poverty
are not staying in school.
a.. 92% of Latin American children begin primary school, but only 32%
continue on to secondary school (the U.S. equivalant of middle/high school).
Even fewer ultimately graduate.
b.. Approximately 40 million children and adolescents in Latin America
drop out of school to live or work on the streets each year.
c.. It is estimated that 95% of children have access to school in Brazil,
but only 59% of them finish the eighth grade.
d.. It is well established that school dropouts have worse outcomes,
including in terms of mental health status, than do those youth who stay in
school.
2. INEQUALITY IN LATIN AMERICA
Unequal societies are less efficient at converting growth into poverty
reduction. In Latin America, the education gap mirrors the income gap
between rich and poor.
a.. Levels of inequality in Latin America are the highest in the world --
at least one in three households and two in five people live below the
poverty line.
a.. 220 million Latin Americans (about 44% of the region's population)
live on less than $2 per day. Over half of them are children.
a.. In Brazil, children in the bottom income quartile complete an average
of four years of school versus over ten years completed by children in the
top income quartile.
3. LATIN AMERICA'S EDUCATION SPENDING
Despite increases in past years, spending on elementary education is still
relatively low throughout the region.
a.. Per capita spending on primary education in Latin America still
averages only 15% of U.S. levels.
a.. Latin American universities, which serve less than 10% of the
population, receive a disproportionate share of education dollars compared
to primary education.(In Brazil, public universities have only 2% of all
pupils, but receive 25% of all federal education funds.
So Cubans are ok?
Bonnie

Boise, ID

#16 Apr 22, 2010
More Raids wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope all them jerks wind up in Mexico! I`m sick of them!
Let's shake on it. LOL.

Since: Apr 10

United States

#17 Apr 22, 2010
Ingrid wrote:
If you say that us immigrants, being either legal or illegal, are mostly illiterate, you should do some revisions of your own capacities of using your native language. For your information there and their are two completely different words. "Immigrants have to wait there turn to come into our country...." So make sure you really know how to use those words correctly before you criticize people.
Dear Ingrid,because I stated that most illegal immigrants are illiterate you got very defensive ? Why? Are you here illegally?Although they may be fluent in their native tongue...they hardly seem interested in learning English.Why should they...???? We are spending millions of dollars on bi-lingual education...something we have not had to do with other ethnic groups coming to our country.Why do we have to bend over backwards for this one group ?It is a huge waist of our tax dollars.We have one language that all Americans speak;It's English and no else has an issue with it.I am not of English ancestors. My grandparents were not fluent in English but learned fast and spoke their native language at home only !We are Americans first and foremost.
Kevin

Mexico

#18 Apr 22, 2010
Well if it's about edu. then Cubans are better educated then the U.S..
I think speaking two languages is a good thing. Many of us native Arizonans speak some spanish. NJ is a good place for you please don't visit Az.. Stay home
katerina

Sedona, AZ

#19 Apr 22, 2010
lawful wrote:
<quoted text>
and some, like you, are just bigots. Italians or Germans?? some people are so ignorant, they keep confusing ILLEGAL vs. LEGAL immigration. don't care the color of your skin, just your green card or citizenship status. stop sneaking into this country and then DEMANDING things.
bigots? the only reason i used those two languages is because he's in new york. just like french is in louisiana and spanish in california. get over it...they're people too. just like you and your ancestors came in search of a better life. the only reason many of the immigrants today are "illegal" is because back then it was much easier for immigrants to emigrate. i'm not saying it wasn't hard for them, just easier. why should you even care about citizenship status? you're not even from here. i don't understand how it is that i welcome all immigrants, and i am full-blooded native american, and you who are most likely of european extraction believe that because your family has been here for a couple hundred years you can pick and choose who comes.
Kevin

Mexico

#21 Apr 22, 2010
I think it's funney most of the comments are from people that don't live in Az.. Work on your own state and stay out of mine.
NO MORE @#@*%$# SNOW-BIRDS !!!!! thank you
I a mexican wants to call the U.S. embassy in Mexico they have to pay $.50 a min to find out about the paperwork. Fix the Immigration laws first.
lawful

Levittown, NY

#22 Apr 22, 2010
katerina wrote:
<quoted text>
bigots? the only reason i used those two languages is because he's in new york. just like french is in louisiana and spanish in california. get over it...they're people too. just like you and your ancestors came in search of a better life. the only reason many of the immigrants today are "illegal" is because back then it was much easier for immigrants to emigrate. i'm not saying it wasn't hard for them, just easier. why should you even care about citizenship status? you're not even from here. i don't understand how it is that i welcome all immigrants, and i am full-blooded native american, and you who are most likely of european extraction believe that because your family has been here for a couple hundred years you can pick and choose who comes.
you said Italians and Germans because you are a bigot, no other reason. why would you assume I am white? that assumption is also a bigoted one. I AM FROM HERE, I WAS BORN IN THIS COUNTRY. when my father came over, he had a hard time also and had to wait and had to be sponsored and had to learn the ENGLISH language without ghe government giving him free lessons. He did not sneak in and steal from this country. It wasn't easy and he did it. there are people waiting to come in now, why do you discriminate against them? The law is written to protect American citizens, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you get to tell us it is bad law because it wasn't written by Native Americans. Your arguments are ridiculous.
Martin

Phoenix, AZ

#23 Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, you people worry about your own state.
Also, most of the people in this country emmigrated here before and were illegal themselves and then became legal. Why shouldn't other people be able to do that too, huh? Just put yourselves in the shoes of all those people who want to be in this country to beeter their lives. If you were living in a place full of poverty and crime wouldn't you want a better life for your family and for yourself. Stop speaking without thinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) Jun 30 HumanSpirit 25
News Racial differences seen among fitness levels in... Jun '15 Dark shadows 34
News Are Taxpayers Subsidizing Starbucks College PR? Jun '15 Tazo 1
News Do Christians Trust Muslims? May '15 Baron44 22
News Immigration,'Dreamers' headed the way of same-s... May '15 tomin cali 1
News Dream Act students rally for in-state tuition Mar '15 spytheweb 2
News VA secretary presses for veterans' care reform Mar '15 LOL at U 8
More from around the web