ASU: Obama's Work Ahead, No Honorary Degree

Apr 10, 2009 Full story: www.newsmax.com 384

Arizona State University has decided not to award President Barack Obama an honorary degree when he delivers the commencement address there on May 13, citing his lack of 'lifetime achievement.'

An honorary degree is 'normally awarded to someone who has been in their field for some time,' university spokeswoman Sharon Keeler told Politico.

Full Story
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Roy, UT

#1 Apr 10, 2009
Agree.

Obama's a fraud.
smudge

Ashburn, VA

#3 Apr 10, 2009
If Obama can bow to King Abdullah, why can't ASU bow to Him?
Pelosi, Frank, Dodd, and Kerry should hold some Congressional hearings on this matter. If ASU still denies the Chosen One, then Congress must sanction Arizona!

Since: Mar 09

Overland Park, KS

#4 Apr 10, 2009
“Considering that the president is at the beginning of his presidency, his body of work is just beginning.”

Makes sense, whats the point?
Beware

Fairfax, VA

#5 Apr 10, 2009
Where were these folks when Obama was running for his orifice? He not only has any history of "lifetime achievement"...he has no viable work history...unless you consider "community organizing" ala ACORN.
John

Powder Springs, GA

#6 Apr 10, 2009
I love the reason they cite, a lack of lifetime achievement. They must be racist since they did not make an exception for Obama. I am sure that cry is not far off.

Incidentally that is the same reason we should not have elected him, a lack of achievement.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#7 Apr 10, 2009
People may not like the decision but it is certainly in compliance with ASU's past acts. At no time have they given an honorary degree to someone with as little experience or achievement as Obama.

He became a State and U.S. Senator under questionable circumstances and his advancement to the Presidency was the result of the puppeteers -- not Obama. He has a long way to go in proving that he is capable of achieving anything on his own. The honorary degree committee should be commended for their principles in staying the course. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but certainly one that shows careful consideration of the facts and history of the degree.
Plain Jane

San Francisco, CA

#8 Apr 10, 2009
After receiving real degrees from Columbia and Harvard Law and an honorary degree from Notre Dame, who gives a rat's azz about Arizona State, in a red state at that. I'm surprised he even deigned to give them a few minutes of his time to deliver their commencement speech. In fact, I hope he has to cancel at the very last minute. Screw them!
Eighthman

Downingtown, PA

#9 Apr 10, 2009
America the beautiful

“Obama = One & Done”

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#10 Apr 10, 2009
John wrote:
I love the reason they cite, a lack of lifetime achievement. They must be racist since they did not make an exception for Obama. I am sure that cry is not far off.
Incidentally that is the same reason we should not have elected him, a lack of achievement.
In the forty or so years that I have been aware of the existance of this University, this is the first time I cab honestly say "WELL DONE".

“Obama = One & Done”

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#11 Apr 10, 2009
Plain Jane wrote:
After receiving real degrees from Columbia and Harvard Law and an honorary degree from Notre Dame, who gives a rat's azz about Arizona State, in a red state at that. I'm surprised he even deigned to give them a few minutes of his time to deliver their commencement speech. In fact, I hope he has to cancel at the very last minute. Screw them!
There are some who would suggest a response of a similar tone would be appropriate for you. Yes, you can say I would be among them.
Mothra

Seattle, WA

#12 Apr 10, 2009
Plain Jane wrote:
"deigned to give them a few minutes of his time"?

Deigned??!!

deigned -- to condescend reluctantly and with a strong sense of the affront to one's superiority that is involved

Language of the elitist.

“FREEDOM”

Since: Dec 08

Bethel NY

#14 Apr 10, 2009
Hey thats not right!...take it or leave it He is the President Of The United Stats....this is an insult to the President..never mind, I for one would like to roast his ass. But things on TOPIX.mean squat.

No ,I will not behave like Loony Left wing nuts..I'm serous...So lets play our selfgrandiesing games,bloviating into the wind,...on here its fun..but when anyone or body disgraces the office and the man in it..ENOUGH! The commender In chief!!...our Chief!While he is there,he is the President!

Ya! The guy got credentials,Obama he is a smart man!!

Little ass holes...YUCK!
Eighthman

Downingtown, PA

#15 Apr 10, 2009
"Do they give an Award for being a horse's azz"
Comrade Obamasoros would certainly be in the running.

How do we know how he did in college anyway. Mr. Sneaky hasn't released all the transcripts as far as I know. DO they give ab award for being a sneak?
Eighthman

Downingtown, PA

#16 Apr 10, 2009
"Hi I'm sneaky and Mysterious. Where's my award for being half black?. Let's get some ACORN people down here. Get names."
KTBG

Parker, CO

#17 Apr 10, 2009
smudge wrote:
If Obama can bow to King Abdullah, why can't ASU bow to Him?
Pelosi, Frank, Dodd, and Kerry should hold some Congressional hearings on this matter. If ASU still denies the Chosen One, then Congress must sanction Arizona!
Good sarcasm!

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#18 Apr 10, 2009
LOL!!!

What a hoot! He graduates from Columbia and Harvard Law School, spends 12 years in the Illinois State and the US Senate, and is today the President of the United States, the leader of the free world.

What a lack of achievement! LOL!!!

But it is good to see our good friend, the GaPat-say, put so much credence an action by one of those liberal, hellhole universities. It's always nice to see him stagger blissfully into the mainstream.

Come back again soon. And happy Easter!

LOL!!!

Since: Apr 09

Indianapolis

#19 Apr 10, 2009
What a surprise from the last state in the country to observe the Dr. King holiday (and then only to qualify to host the Super Bowl).
Obama has top of his class degrees from two Ivy League schools but Arizona State's not sure he qualifies for an honorary credential from them.
Predictably pitiful.

Since: Apr 09

Indianapolis

#21 Apr 10, 2009
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Deigned??!!
deigned -- to condescend reluctantly and with a strong sense of the affront to one's superiority that is involved
Language of the elitist.
Language of Clarence Thomas.
PooPoo Platter

United States

#22 Apr 10, 2009
Plain Jane wrote:
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Deigned??!!
Language of the elitist.
Always using the big Ivy-League words, you e-lights...
Just An Observer

Ludington, MI

#23 Apr 10, 2009
Obama should just decide to decline the invitation, based on the premise that the Arizona University doesn't have enough clout and experience, compared to the Yales and the Harvards of the world. On the bowing to the Saudi King, George Bush kissed both cheeks of the Saudi King when he came to visit Bush at his ranch in Texas. Guess some people need to replay that little video a bit more for a refreshed perspective.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) Fri BriannaLauren 12
Fast food marketing targets black children in US Dec '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
The New and Improved Hubble Ultra Deep Field (Jun '14) Nov '14 Andarz Abedini 2
Two days left to apply to participate online! I... Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Man changes plea to guilty in ASU frat brawl Oct '14 ha! 1
ASU students - please take this brief water sur... Sep '14 MoWater 1
Ariz. Governor Race Tightens, But Will That Last? Sep '14 Taxpayer for years 2
More from around the web