Getting to know USA: Citizen-to-be tr...

Getting to know USA: Citizen-to-be trekking from sea to shining sea

There are 4 comments on the NY Daily News story from Aug 9, 2011, titled Getting to know USA: Citizen-to-be trekking from sea to shining sea. In it, NY Daily News reports that:

Constantino Diaz-Duran is a fellow at the Center for Social Cohesion at Arizona State University.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NY Daily News.

Since: Dec 06

United States of America

#1 Aug 9, 2011
"He'll be hard-pressed to find a helping hand once he gets to states with new anti-immigrant laws - like Alabama, where it's illegal to give an undocumented immigrant a ride, and Arizona, which allows cops to ask for immigration documents."

"I'm curious to get to Alabama for example," he said. "They just passed those awful laws. I'm curious to see what it's like there."

There are no "anti-immigrant laws, there are laws against illegal entry into this country. He might be surprised how many people in states like Arizona, Georgia and Alabama have no animosity toward those who come here legally and work toward citizenship the way he did.
We are not anti-immigrant, we are anti-illegal and pro-enforcement. Interesting how the news media always manages to leave out the word "illegal".

Omaha, NE

#2 Aug 9, 2011
Isn't the underlying situation, another illegal pressing amnesty?

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#3 Aug 9, 2011
Really wrote:
Isn't the underlying situation, another illegal pressing amnesty?
Not sure.

"Diaz-Duran left his home country in 2001 after his writing on government corruption prompted death threats. He was granted asylum in 2005.

In May, he learned he was eligible for U.S. citizenship and started planning his journey, which he calls Walk Like an American."

Read more:

“Your DQCC Limit is Maxed!”

Since: Sep 08

In Utero (originally)

#4 Aug 9, 2011
Constantino Diaz-Duran sought citizenship by doing so appropriately and not by illegal methods. His trek across the USA is proving one thing, that Americans aren't as so many would have others believe ("racists") as can be observed by his comments:

"I've met lots of really nice people."

"People take me in and they make dinner for me. They go out of their way to make me feel comfortable," he said. "That's been surprising."

All too often some misguided and dishonest people who favor illegals (ie the POTUS) are trying to paint everyone as being racists or intolerant and not accepting of foreigners that are opposed to people illegally entering the US. These cries of bigotry are so exaggerated too.

In other countries that are faced with illegal immigrants, this isn't a tactic used by those supporting the illegal immigrants. It appears to only be in the USA where we have people crying racism. Racism does exist...there is no denying that; however, it is ridiculous for so many to be labeled by the opposition as racists just because we oppose illegal entry into our nation.

It's nice to see a positive article about someone finding out first hand just how kind people across our great nation still are, in light of how some would portray Americans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) Nov 25 Mario Games 32
News King: Parties mocking black culture prove racis... Oct '15 Drilling for the ... 4
News The association between sleep disturbances and ... (Apr '10) Oct '15 RudolphMCasey 6
News Racial differences seen among fitness levels in... (Apr '15) Sep '15 Concern citizen 44
News 15 Favorite First Friday Art Works Seen in Sept... Sep '15 Whiny1 1
News Are Taxpayers Subsidizing Starbucks College PR? Jun '15 Tazo 1
News Do Christians Trust Muslims? (May '15) May '15 Baron44 22
More from around the web