ASU grad in limbo because of immigration status

There are 8 comments on the KGUN story from May 22, 2011, titled ASU grad in limbo because of immigration status. In it, KGUN reports that:

The outstanding mechanical engineering graduate at Arizona State University this year is an illegal immigrant who won't be able to legally do the job she's trained for.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KGUN.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#1 May 22, 2011
If she is such an outstanding engineering graduate she should be able to get excellent job in Mexico and she wouldn't be illegal.
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#2 May 22, 2011
The title is deceptive- she is not in limbo- she is here illegally. Her status is illegal.

She has no legal way to earn money so how did she pay tuition?

There's no shortage of Americans with engineering degrees.

Columbus resident Darrell Rathburn is one of the many caught up in this whirlwind.
Even though he has a master's degree in computer science and decades of experience working for Fortune 500 companies, he quit his job search after two years of looking.
"I decided to throw in the towel and accept the fact that I was involuntarily retired," he said....

Louise Karl holds a doctorate in biotechnology, has years of lab experience and has had research published in prestigious journals. She's been looking for full-time work for six years.
"There is no skill shortage," she said. "I probably know 20 people with Ph.D.s in biology, chemistry, et cetera, and none of them can even get an interview."
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#3 May 22, 2011
What do DREAM Act supporters say to people who supported the 1986 comprehensive immigration reform bill and were rewarded by a doubling of the number of illegal immigrants who were amnestied and who is still - a quarter of a century later - waiting for the strict enforcement that was supposed to follow? Exactly what enforcement measures do the DREAMers support and propose?

How do the DREAMers propose that we prevent future parents from making the mistake that theirs did by bringing minor children into the US illegally?
What do DREAMers say to the long-term unemployed and under-employed citizens and legal immigrants that they will be competing with for jobs?
anevile

Naperville, IL

#4 May 22, 2011
AmberDru wrote:
What do DREAM Act supporters say to people who supported the 1986 comprehensive immigration reform bill and were rewarded by a doubling of the number of illegal immigrants who were amnestied and who is still - a quarter of a century later - waiting for the strict enforcement that was supposed to follow? Exactly what enforcement measures do the DREAMers support and propose?
How do the DREAMers propose that we prevent future parents from making the mistake that theirs did by bringing minor children into the US illegally?
What do DREAMers say to the long-term unemployed and under-employed citizens and legal immigrants that they will be competing with for jobs?
They say give me more sucker
Sick of Illegals

United States

#5 May 23, 2011
Now go back to Mexihole and find a job. YOU SUCKED the Legal Tax Paying citizens enough.
Reconquista my arse

Valley, AL

#6 May 23, 2011
Shouldnt have been here in the first place. She should go beck to the country she is a citizen in.
Chris Schene

Chandler, AZ

#7 Jun 29, 2011
Send her back to Mexico...with her skills she should be able to get a job legally and probably immigrate legally to the US. There are many jobs in Canada, the EU, Latin America she can qualify for as well.

Letting her stay will reinforce the the idea that Mexican parents can break our immigration laws and they will be rewarded for it. It is just not right to let her bypass all the people who apply legally.

It is the fault of her parents and I feel for her, but we just cannot reinforce the illegal behavior.
Chris Schene

Chandler, AZ

#8 Jun 29, 2011
There is also another issue: With the Latin countries so badly in need of engineers, she serves a better purpose in those countries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Racial differences seen among fitness levels in... May 21 labaritone 25
News Do Christians Trust Muslims? May 17 Baron44 22
News Immigration,'Dreamers' headed the way of same-s... May 8 tomin cali 1
News Are depressed kids bully magnets? (Feb '12) Apr '15 humanspirit 14
News Dream Act students rally for in-state tuition Mar '15 spytheweb 2
News VA secretary presses for veterans' care reform Mar '15 LOL at U 8
News Poll: Arizonans see illegal immigration as majo... Mar '15 tomin cali 1
More from around the web