Anti-gay bishop's job sparks boycott calls

Jun 27, 2010 Full story: news.scotsman.com

SCOTLAND'S most ancient seat of learning has been hit by calls for a funding boycott following the appointment of a controversial theologian to a senior post.

Dr Tom Wright, the Bishop of Durham, who has famously opposed the ordination of gay clergy, is due to take up an academic position at St Andrews University in September.

However, his appointment to the Fife institution's School of Divinity has prompted a senior Episcopal clergyman to urge wealthy graduates not to support the university's fundraising appeals ... Full Story

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 Jun 27, 2010
from news.scotsman:

"... Wright is no stranger to controversy. He publicly criticised embryo research and warned clergy that they could face disciplinary action for taking part in same-sex unions in 2005.

"He also made international headlines in 2008 when he compared the consecration of Gene Robinson, the gay American Episcopalian bishop, to the US invasion of Iraq.

"Wright said:'Bush said he was going to invade Iraq. Everyone told him not to do it because there would be consequences, but he did it anyway.

"'The Americans floated the balloon in 2003 when they consecrated Gene Robinson. They knew exactly what they were doing. Either the rest of the world caves in or someone has to stand up to them.'"

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#2 Jun 27, 2010
You see, joline, each branch can do as they please, as long as their group okay's it.

You constantly think like a roman.

The ABC is appointed by Parliament.

Priests are hired.

Priests can be fired.

Bishops are elected.

Decisions are made from a local level, not some pretend country that has nothing to do with good old regular people......

You romans have no say, you live with the appointments, even if they are pedophiles.
T McCabe

Fayetteville, TN

#4 Jun 28, 2010
from the article:

"The Rt Rev Kelvin Holdsworth, Provost of St Mary's Cathedral in Glasgow and a St Andrews graduate, has withdrawn financial support over Wright's "anti-gay views" and is encouraging others to do the same."

Not an Episcopalian.

from the article:

"The former Stirling University chaplain urged former students to make their opposition felt by joining him in taking direct action. He stated: "St Andrews University writes to me regularly asking for money.

"The answer from now on could not be clearer. No extra funding for a university that appoints anti-gay figures to prominent positions. I hope other alumni will keep their hands firmly in their pockets and when the call comes for money, just say no."

Not an Episcopalian.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andrews University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Andrews University honors Mutch for service (Oct '09) May '14 Chris Meier 6
Businessman Turned Poet, Flash Fiction Speciali... (Nov '13) Nov '13 cassandra colson 1
Iran taking no chances in election (Jun '13) Jun '13 Unknown 1
in My Opinion: Sorry, I was wrong about global ... (May '12) May '12 tina anne 6
Sheriff booed after finding Israeli flag insult... (Aug '11) Aug '11 SAB1053 5
Royal Guard fired after calling Kate Middleton ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Prof 1
Kate's see-through dress up for auction (Feb '11) Feb '11 The Monkey 4

Andrews University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE