The Rise and Fall of Charles Shifflett

The Rise and Fall of Charles Shifflett

There are 22 comments on the Culpeper Times story from Oct 20, 2008, titled The Rise and Fall of Charles Shifflett. In it, Culpeper Times reports that:

When Baptist preacher Charles Vincent Shifflett was sentenced a week ago a trio of emotional responses was unleashed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Culpeper Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NotFooled

United States

#1 Oct 23, 2008
I was in the courtroom to hear Shifflett ask forgiveness from his family but I did not hear him ask forgiveness from Chad, Liz and Woody who was there also. What I saw was a man who was caught but not a man who was repenting of his horrible crimes. He was hoping to win some sympathy from the Judge and get back to his "Congregation" (fools!) They'll wait for him but I believe the majority really knows what he is but just chooses to follow him anyway. I couldn't believe the way Rebecca and some of his followers were cursing and acting after the verdict. I can see that the apple did not fall very far from the tree. David Jenkins and David Brooks, you'll answer to God one day for your support of a pervert. To the guy from Calvary Baptist who testified: You had a lot of courage to get on the stand and tell the truth because I'm sure you knew how his crowd was going to act. I just hope that this is truly the end of Shifflett's reign of terror!
stephen b

Arlington, VA

#2 Oct 24, 2008
ok so the guy made some mistakes. this guy was my cell mate in the culpeper jail and i feel he is repentant of his mistakes. All he does all dy is read his bible and when ever anyone in the block had a problem he was always the one to go to for advice or just an ear to listen. we all make mistakes and if you want to drill this guy for one then you must be perfect if not then let it go. i think the guy will make a difference to people who are in prison. he doesn't belong there. i believe at most he deserves restitution and a fine
NotFooled

United States

#3 Oct 25, 2008
Stephen B; A history of child abuse, theft, immorality, etc. is a little more than making a mistake. His mistake was he got caught. I'm glad he reads his bible, I sure hope that he starts putting it into practice. Ask Chad about Shifflett raping him and ask him if it was a mistake! I'd love to hear Shifflett give advice! I'm glad he was your cell mate, you two deserve each other. You're too generous with the word mistake. Maybe you'll get to be his cell mate again.
Truth be know

United States

#4 Mar 29, 2010
What's really sad is that people read something about someone and something they know nothing about and make judgments.
I was once a teacher under Pastor Shifflett. I received a call and was asked by Liz to go along with her lie and say I as her teacher
witnessed the abuse in the classroom. I never saw any one abused physically or sexually. I don't know what happened after the year
I was there. While I was there nothing happened and I'm not goinf to lie. It's wrong for papers to make statements that Liz said her teacher witnessed something I never did. I was asked to lie but I refused. Of course I wrote the paper many times to correct their statements but they chose to keep reporting false statements. If something really happened to Liz why did she call me and ask me to lie? Something just doesn't add up.
Truth be known

United States

#5 Mar 29, 2010
What's really sad is that people ("notfooled) read something about someone and something they know nothing about and make judgments.
I was once a teacher under Pastor Shifflett. I received a call and was asked by Liz to go along with her lie and say I as her teacher
witnessed the abuse in the classroom. I never saw any one abused physically or sexually. I don't know what happened after the year
I was there. While I was there nothing happened and I'm not going to lie. If they were truly abused why do they need to make up lies? I could care less either way about who's right or wrong and have no motive to defend either party. All I know is I saw nothing, but the paper reported I did and Liz was upset I wouldn't lie for her. The physical/sexual abuse charges were dropped because I wouldn't go along with the lies. They chose to charge him with the "tax fraud charges, etc..." just to get him because they are a group of bitter people. He pleaded guilty to the charges to keep his wife out of jail, not because he was guilty. The Shiffletts lived very modestly and gave all they had to their church. They didn't become rich. It's wrong for papers to make statements that are inaccurate. I was asked to lie but I refused. Of course I wrote the paper many times to correct their statements but they chose to keep reporting false statements. If something really happened to Liz why did she call me and ask me to lie? Something just doesn't add up???
NotFooled

Charles City, VA

#6 Jul 3, 2010
"Truth Be Known" you're an idiot. Did Liz just ask you if you saw any abuse? If you didn't then you didn't. I don't believe for a moment that she asked you to lie. What really gets me is this whole "He pleaded guilty to save his wife" statement. Are you telling me that the Virginia Department of Taxation, Workman's Compensation, and (2) Insurance companies all conspired together to get Shifflett? He's not that big of a catch.
So, the judge gave him 100 years because he just didn't like him? I guess all the paper trail evidence was just fabricated and an innocent man got 100 years for just making people upset. First of all, I don't believe you every taught anywhere because you're to stupid. Then again, maybe you and shifty shifflett had one of those special relationships like he had with a number of "other women." I know him! You might tell this garbage to someone who never met the creep.
NotFooled

Charles City, VA

#7 Jul 3, 2010
One other thing. I never read anywhere in the paper where it said a teacher observed any abuse. I've read every story and it never mentioned anything like that. Can you produce the proof of what you're saying? You're the liar.
Keep him in jail

United States

#8 Jul 15, 2011
Oh to the teacher that was there for only a yr....lol. I can put money on I know who u are and u are so full of Crap its not even funny.... there were the select few that shifflett would kiss ass to and of course u never seen what went on. And to the statement that they lived modestly and gave everything to the church.... that's funny. My family lived modestly and gv all to that church...... my parents worked their ass' off to provide and gv to that church...... it was never enuf to keep up with the shiffletts..... they lived on our the money our backs brought in...... and the thanks we got was the abuse and Crap that we would never amount to anything....thank god someone finally listened and spoke up...
funny

United States

#9 Apr 8, 2013
My fam calls him shifty shifflett too hahaha. lizs mother ran with him, ole shifty shifflett.. amongst other raunchy women.
liz is a fibber

United States

#10 Apr 8, 2013
I went to golden years at that church one time and I witnessed Liz Bailey there, she was all up on that preacher. Maybe she rubbed HER stuff on HIM, from my view it sure looked like she enjoyed his shifty presence. If he touched her why would she go back after so long, because if someone did that to ME ... I def would not be around him or bring MY children. What a crock.
culpeper

Culpeper, VA

#11 Oct 24, 2013
i knew that man...i went to his church for several years..and attend the school...he never set right with my grandparents, and when my grandparents went to him to ask about why there was never any discussion about how the money was used in the church, he got irate and physical with my grandfather,.,..that was the day my grandparents pulled us out of school and we left for good...that man did more then make a mistake..he was nuts, and his family was just as guilty..they knew he was stealing that money, how else did his kids go to top notch school, and his wife have new cars every other 5 mins...not a preachers salary...greedy bastard...then i find out he was molesting kids...what a sicko...i seen him today at sheetz in lake of the woods...and all i could think was, why is he out of prison,,look at how many lives he ruined from molestation....hes a disgusting person, and so is his family because they all knew what he was doing, they lived right there on church property in an apartment attached to the church...people are nieve, im thankful my family was smart enough to find out whar was going on before anything happend to me and my brother...
culpeper

Culpeper, VA

#12 Oct 24, 2013
funny wrote:
My fam calls him shifty shifflett too hahaha. lizs mother ran with him, ole shifty shifflett.. amongst other raunchy women.
alot of those women were up to no good, i wouldnt be surprised if some of them didnt do the very same shit he was doing, or participating with him in the molestations of all those kids...alot of them will never come forward
unknown

Tennessee Colony, TX

#13 May 13, 2014
Do you know where he is today??
Keep him in jail wrote:
Oh to the teacher that was there for only a yr....lol. I can put money on I know who u are and u are so full of Crap its not even funny.... there were the select few that shifflett would kiss ass to and of course u never seen what went on. And to the statement that they lived modestly and gave everything to the church.... that's funny. My family lived modestly and gv all to that church...... my parents worked their ass' off to provide and gv to that church...... it was never enuf to keep up with the shiffletts..... they lived on our the money our backs brought in...... and the thanks we got was the abuse and Crap that we would never amount to anything....thank god someone finally listened and spoke up...
truth setter

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Oct 18, 2015
He's Pastoring Trinity Baptist Church in Lititz Pa
No fake name here

Monroe, VA

#16 Oct 21, 2015
Truth be know wrote:
What's really sad is that people read something about someone and something they know nothing about and make judgments.
I was once a teacher under Pastor Shifflett. I received a call and was asked by Liz to go along with her lie and say I as her teacher
witnessed the abuse in the classroom. I never saw any one abused physically or sexually. I don't know what happened after the year
I was there. While I was there nothing happened and I'm not goinf to lie. It's wrong for papers to make statements that Liz said her teacher witnessed something I never did. I was asked to lie but I refused. Of course I wrote the paper many times to correct their statements but they chose to keep reporting false statements. If something really happened to Liz why did she call me and ask me to lie? Something just doesn't add up.
I am Liz and I want to set this comment straight. Lori I know you'll probably never see this but if you do then that is great. I wanted to say that I NEVER called and asked you to lie for me. What I did in fact ask you to do was tell the truth and testify for us students who you at the time seemed to care for. I asked you to testify about your reasons for leaving the school and church. I asked you to tell how you left because of the things you witnessed in the school, church and the house you shared with a fellow teacher and piano player both who attended there. How you left because of visits Shifflett used to pay to one of your roommates on a regular basis. How this roommate Would go change into a slinkier nightie when she knew he was on his way or change while he was there. I asked you to testify about the day you left how I was crying begging you not to go because you were one of the few I thought I could trust. I asked you to testify how you told me about some of that and when you hugged me you told me in my ear to be careful around him and watch myself... I never asked you to lie... You've done this all on your own. Myself and the ones that were brave enough to finally speak only spoke the truth and the fact that you would lie for him only speaks of your and his character.
No fake name here

Monroe, VA

#17 Oct 21, 2015
Truth be known wrote:
What's really sad is that people ("notfooled) read something about someone and something they know nothing about and make judgments.
I was once a teacher under Pastor Shifflett. I received a call and was asked by Liz to go along with her lie and say I as her teacher
witnessed the abuse in the classroom. I never saw any one abused physically or sexually. I don't know what happened after the year
I was there. While I was there nothing happened and I'm not going to lie. If they were truly abused why do they need to make up lies? I could care less either way about who's right or wrong and have no motive to defend either party. All I know is I saw nothing, but the paper reported I did and Liz was upset I wouldn't lie for her. The physical/sexual abuse charges were dropped because I wouldn't go along with the lies. They chose to charge him with the "tax fraud charges, etc..." just to get him because they are a group of bitter people. He pleaded guilty to the charges to keep his wife out of jail, not because he was guilty. The Shiffletts lived very modestly and gave all they had to their church. They didn't become rich. It's wrong for papers to make statements that are inaccurate. I was asked to lie but I refused. Of course I wrote the paper many times to correct their statements but they chose to keep reporting false statements. If something really happened to Liz why did she call me and ask me to lie? Something just doesn't add up???
Also shows what kind of character you have by saying "the physical/sexual charges were dropped because you wouldn't go along with the lies".... Well my dear , you lied here because this is NOT true by any means. As far as my recollection goes you were never even mentioned in any newspaper. Must just be your guilty conscience.
No fake name here

Rixeyville, VA

#18 Oct 21, 2015
liz is a fibber wrote:
I went to golden years at that church one time and I witnessed Liz Bailey there, she was all up on that preacher. Maybe she rubbed HER stuff on HIM, from my view it sure looked like she enjoyed his shifty presence. If he touched her why would she go back after so long, because if someone did that to ME ... I def would not be around him or bring MY children. What a crock.
What's a crock is what you're saying. I need to thank you for giving me a good laugh. If you consider "all up on him" by maybe me shaking his hand or standing near the wolf in sheep's clothing, than yes I guess I was guilty of that. What you seen as "enjoyment of his presence" was me facing my demons and never giving that man the power to make me feel ashamed of what he did to me and the rest of us. I repeat WHAT HE DID TO US... Me staring in his face and letting him know I was no longer a child he could control with his bully ways. I lot of people who are abused face their abusers, but doesn't mean that it didn't happen... As far as letting my kids go there well yes I let my oldest son go a few times to bible school or a church visit. But it was made clear to my "mother" if he touched my child in any way shape or form it'd be the last time he'd hurt a child.... Just cracks me up reading some of these comments that none of you have the guts to say your name. Maybe because you're scared someone might open your closet and some of your skeletons might fall out.
No fake name here

Rixeyville, VA

#19 Oct 21, 2015
Truth be known wrote:
What's really sad is that people ("notfooled) read something about someone and something they know nothing about and make judgments.
I was once a teacher under Pastor Shifflett. I received a call and was asked by Liz to go along with her lie and say I as her teacher
witnessed the abuse in the classroom. I never saw any one abused physically or sexually. I don't know what happened after the year
I was there. While I was there nothing happened and I'm not going to lie. If they were truly abused why do they need to make up lies? I could care less either way about who's right or wrong and have no motive to defend either party. All I know is I saw nothing, but the paper reported I did and Liz was upset I wouldn't lie for her. The physical/sexual abuse charges were dropped because I wouldn't go along with the lies. They chose to charge him with the "tax fraud charges, etc..." just to get him because they are a group of bitter people. He pleaded guilty to the charges to keep his wife out of jail, not because he was guilty. The Shiffletts lived very modestly and gave all they had to their church. They didn't become rich. It's wrong for papers to make statements that are inaccurate. I was asked to lie but I refused. Of course I wrote the paper many times to correct their statements but they chose to keep reporting false statements. If something really happened to Liz why did she call me and ask me to lie? Something just doesn't add up???
What gets me is you say I was upset you wouldn't "lie" for me but in fact the reason I was upset was because you were someone that seemed like you cared for me and tried to warn me about him at that time. but when it's time to speak up for what's right youd rather run the other way with your tail between your legs and lie and hide the truth. Midway in your comment you say and I quote "I could care less either way about who's right or wrong and have no motive to defend either party" well in my opinion that's another of your lies. You are defending a guilty man over innocent at the time kids.. You're an example of what is wrong in this world.. The sad thing is you knew how he was in Maryland and why he was chased off then same things happened in va and you still choose to defend him. At least Shifflett had the guts most of the time to be what he was in front of other people, but you..... You lying and saying you never saw NOTHING and defending him... Well that's just as sorry as what he did do..
Nlbc

Rixeyville, VA

#20 Oct 21, 2015
truth setter wrote:
He's Pastoring Trinity Baptist Church in Lititz Pa
More future victims. So sad
Truth Setter

Meriden, CT

#21 May 19, 2016
Nlbc wrote:
<quoted text>
More future victims. So sad
Google and Listen to the documentry "Lambs of culpepper."
Hear charles shifflett say anybody who goes against him will have there house and car set on fire. What a disgusting man!
Also look up 1 timothy chapter 3.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News (Jun '13) Jun '13 Happy camper 1
News Jack Schaap, pastor of a megachurch confesses t... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Nursingmommys5 3
News Scenes from Clifford Leon Houston's trial (Jul '08) Jul '08 idiot 3
News Delta, NWA name leaders for merged airline (Jul '08) Jul '08 Money Maker 27
News Report: 2nd oldest US wildlife refuge in jeopar... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Brent Galyon 2
More from around the web