Volcanic Eruption in Colombia Forces Thousands to Evacuate

There are 144 comments on the www.foxnews.com story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Volcanic Eruption in Colombia Forces Thousands to Evacuate. In it, www.foxnews.com reports that:

A volcano erupted violently in southwestern Colombia Thursday, spewing ash miles into the sky and prompting the evacuation of several thousand people living nearby.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.foxnews.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Continually Updated from Net”

Since: Jan 07

A PBS place in an MTV world

#1 Jan 17, 2008
Major volcanic eruption in Colombia prompts evacuation of thous...

- A volcano has erupted violently in southwestern Colombia, spewing ash kilometres into the sky and prompting the evacuation of several thousand people living nearby.

There are no immediate reports of injuries or serious property damage after the 4,300-metre Galeras volcano began erupting about 8 p.m. local time.

About eight thousand people live in areas near the volcano where Pasto's mayor ordered an evacuation but Fernando Gil, director of Colombia's Seismological Network, says most of the city is not in danger.

Witnesses say it lit up the night sky. Gil estimates the ash cloud reached eight kilometres into the air.

He calls it the most serious eruption of Galeras since the volcano reactivated in 1989.

"Depending on the wind direction it's going to spread ashes over the entire area."

"Most of (Galeras's) eruptions are violent and short," he noted.

He said Thursday's eruption produced some lava flows that did not extend far from the volcano's crater.

A 1993 eruption of the volcano, near the border with Ecuador, killed nine people, including five scientists who had descended into the crater to sample gases.

In November 2005, the volcano spewed ash that fell about 50 kilometres away.

http://www.topix.com/forum/co/bogota/TA2DNIQI...
mollagig

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, what they really mean is the remaining population of colombia "THAT WOULD BE 100", is heading to the us. border........And straight to the welfare office.
The Queen

Trenton, NJ

#3 Jan 18, 2008
very sad these things are happening all over the world. Welfare is suppose to help people as long as it doesn't get abused imagine if that happened to you how would you feel and what would you do and why is that the first thing you're thinking about the whole world is in turmoil and your here talking about welfare... when will people wake up and see really what's going on!!!!!!!!!
Kimmie

Hanoi, Vietnam

#5 Jan 18, 2008
NIMBY Nitwits

Trumbull, CT

#6 Jan 18, 2008
"The Volcano spewing ash miles into the sky...." These volcanic eruptions are a major cause of global warming. Can't Al Gore do something about these things, or at least blame it on America in some way.

“Perp Walk Obama,Reid & Pelosi!”

Since: Apr 07

Central California

#7 Jan 18, 2008
Cool! More Beautiful Sunsets... Get out your Cameras, Folks!
Star

United States

#8 Jan 18, 2008
It somehow amazes me when people make fun of someone's misfortune. If they were fleeing their homes or wondering if their family had made it out, would they be so nonchalant.
hmm

Princeton, IN

#9 Jan 18, 2008
The Queen wrote:
very sad these things are happening all over the world. Welfare is suppose to help people as long as it doesn't get abused imagine if that happened to you how would you feel and what would you do and why is that the first thing you're thinking about the whole world is in turmoil and your here talking about welfare... when will people wake up and see really what's going on!!!!!!!!!
I have no idea what you're talking about.
megzie

UK

#10 Jan 18, 2008
hi girls
driggs

Thomasville, NC

#11 Jan 18, 2008
extra border security please,we dont need no more refugees over here.hey and i wonder ,everytime a hurricane hits the gulf gas goes up,so will the price of cocaine increase now because of volcanoes in columbia,makes since to me.glad i dont use that ,gas is bad enough.

“Good luck with that”

Since: Dec 07

Eden Praire

#12 Jan 18, 2008
The Queen wrote:
How about you put on a concert to bring attention to "what's really going on", you could change the world, there'de be peace on earth, no one would ever hate again... OH wait a min....

Since: May 07

<<<<--the right to bare

#13 Jan 18, 2008
America take heed, GOD is punishing these heathens for rejecting the Savior Jesus the Christ. You want to be next?
anf hiker

Butler, PA

#14 Jan 18, 2008
Bush : Come to america. I Love Illegals.

I'll make you truck drivers !!!!
PSL

Boca Raton, FL

#15 Jan 18, 2008
The Queen wrote:
What's really going on is that America is getting screwed. EVERY poor country in the world is taking advantage of our welfare system. Then we get millions of immigrants that continue to suck us dry. If we don't stop ALL welfare this country is going to be in a even bigger turmoil.
PSL

Boca Raton, FL

#16 Jan 18, 2008
Star wrote:
It somehow amazes me when people make fun of someone's misfortune. If they were fleeing their homes or wondering if their family had made it out, would they be so nonchalant.
Not making fun of misfortune. Just want to be sure they don't come here. We have enough hispanics screwing up this country.
feo

Miami, FL

#17 Jan 18, 2008
may god be with them
Haggis

Canada

#18 Jan 18, 2008
I wonder how someone would feel if the misfortunes were suddenly reversed and Americans had to flee to say Mexico or Canada? I'm quite sure we would take in as many as possible as we did in 9-11 when planes were grounded all over North America.Thousands of Americans were welcomed into homes at no expense to them. Think first and don't do the Knee jerk reaction
PSL

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Jan 18, 2008
feo wrote:
may god be with them
Yes please God keep them in their own country.
My take

Raleigh, NC

#20 Jan 18, 2008
Gods warrior wrote:
America take heed, GOD is punishing these heathens for rejecting the Savior Jesus the Christ. You want to be next?
Cheap geothermal power & heat? Heck yeah!

I didn't realize Jesus was so invested in the oil & coal industries, but it appears he lobbies heavily for them. Notice how the congressional members pandering to Jesus freaks are the same as those pandering to the fossil fuel industry.

Since: Sep 07

Kansas City Area

#21 Jan 18, 2008
Gods warrior wrote:
Thats what the Muslims said when Krakatoa blew up. Giving rise to the radicals we are fighting today. Maby we should sacrifice a virgin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pasto, Colombia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Information needed on Pasto. Mar '15 timbus 1
News Over 12,000 People Evacuated Near Cerro Negro d... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
News Chavez says Colombian candidate would pose threat (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 2
News Colombia: Land of horrible coffee (Dec '09) Feb '10 Gladys 14
News Volcano erupts in Colombia; no reports of injuries (Jan '10) Jan '10 Su Gente 4
News Volcano Erupts In Colombia; No Reports Of Injuries (Jan '10) Jan '10 andet1987 2
News COLOMBIA: Indians Neither Museum Exhibits Nor T... (Feb '08) Feb '09 bobby 3
More from around the web