China takes knock-offs to a new level, copying entire stores

Aug 1, 2011 Full story: KSDK-TV Saint Louis 17

In millenniums past, China developed the compass, gunpowder and papermaking, among multiple inventions that have shaped world history.

Full Story

“I'm From the USA, 5 Years Here”

Since: May 10

Haungshi, China

#1 Aug 1, 2011
China does not have the exclusive market on that, there are fake Apple stores all over the world.
That is right

Central District, Hong Kong

#2 Aug 1, 2011
Vietnam and Taiwan make fake stuff too. You don't hear the west say anything. But they focus on China.

How did Japan accumulate its wealth in the 1950's, 60's. Copying western designs. Japan only began to do research and design later.
Rofl

Central District, Hong Kong

#4 Aug 1, 2011
Buddha says: Form itself is emptiness; emptiness itself is form.

Similarly, fake Apple store itself is real Apple store; real Apple itself is fake Apple store.

“I'm From the USA, 5 Years Here”

Since: May 10

Haungshi, China

#5 Aug 2, 2011
That is right wrote:
Vietnam and Taiwan make fake stuff too. You don't hear the west say anything. But they focus on China.
How did Japan accumulate its wealth in the 1950's, 60's. Copying western designs. Japan only began to do research and design later.
About 1954 I got a Christmas present that had to be assembled, I remember my father getting very upset because while it said on the box in big bold letters, MADE IN USA, it turned out the contents were made on one of Japans islands called Usa. He couldn't understand the instructions and it was so poorly made he ended up tossing it out.

Emerging countries are always guilty of that kind of stuff. Why do we expect China to be perfect? Because China is now the west favorite whipping boy to take the heat off of our failures.
.
Rofl

Central District, Hong Kong

#6 Aug 2, 2011
[QUOTE who="Jim Em"it turned out the contents were made on one of Japans islands called Usa.[/QUOTE]

Usa is a city in Kyushu.
Jake

Beijing, China

#7 Aug 2, 2011
Rofl wrote:
Buddha says: Form itself is emptiness; emptiness itself is form.
Similarly, fake Apple store itself is real Apple store; real Apple itself is fake Apple store.
But today's Chinese are a far cry from Buddhists
Mars

Muscat, Oman

#8 Aug 2, 2011
If so many businesses are copying the western model to sell, does that mean Chinese consumers favour western brands over Chinese ones? If yes, who can stop the copycat in a market of 1.4 billion people? and how?
Jake

Beijing, China

#9 Aug 2, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
<quoted text>
About 1954 I got a Christmas present that had to be assembled, I remember my father getting very upset because while it said on the box in big bold letters, MADE IN USA, it turned out the contents were made on one of Japans islands called Usa. He couldn't understand the instructions and it was so poorly made he ended up tossing it out.
Emerging countries are always guilty of that kind of stuff. Why do we expect China to be perfect? Because China is now the west favorite whipping boy to take the heat off of our failures.
.
Maybe it has to do with things like the Chinese government cyber creeps continuing to hassle Google while the Chinese search engine Baidu offers up links to illegal downloads of music and movies made in the US.

Just one "small" example ...
crusnik

Kolkata, India

#10 Aug 2, 2011
Gotta agree, Chinese are talented in copying ;) they even didnt spare an Apple store! but talent is talent and now they are 2nd ranked power in the world after USA. Wondering whats next? copycat of any usn super carriers? ;)

Since: Aug 08

Shanghai, China

#11 Aug 2, 2011
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it has to do with things like the Chinese government cyber creeps continuing to hassle Google while the Chinese search engine Baidu offers up links to illegal downloads of music and movies made in the US.
Just one "small" example ...
Chinese government hassled foreign businesses in the 50's, they were all gone within a year or two. If Chinese Government really want to Hassle google there will not be any google service in China or Hong Kong

“I'm From the USA, 5 Years Here”

Since: May 10

Haungshi, China

#12 Aug 2, 2011
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it has to do with things like the Chinese government cyber creeps continuing to hassle Google while the Chinese search engine Baidu offers up links to illegal downloads of music and movies made in the US.
Just one "small" example ...
Those illegal downloads of movies are on servers in China of very low quality with Chinese subtitles.
old china

Chengdu, China

#13 Aug 2, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
<quoted text>
About 1954 I got a Christmas present that had to be assembled, I remember my father getting very upset because while it said on the box in big bold letters, MADE IN USA, it turned out the contents were made on one of Japans islands called Usa. He couldn't understand the instructions and it was so poorly made he ended up tossing it out.
Emerging countries are always guilty of that kind of stuff. Why do we expect China to be perfect? Because China is now the west favorite whipping boy to take the heat off of our failures.
.
I remember a friend bought a brand new Honda motor bike. It lasted no longer than 10 months before it needed a complete engine rebuild but by that time there were so many other things wrong with it that it wasn't worth the cost. The bike was scrapped but the repayments on the hire purchase continued for another two years.

“I'm From the USA, 5 Years Here”

Since: May 10

Haungshi, China

#14 Aug 2, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a friend bought a brand new Honda motor bike. It lasted no longer than 10 months before it needed a complete engine rebuild but by that time there were so many other things wrong with it that it wasn't worth the cost. The bike was scrapped but the repayments on the hire purchase continued for another two years.
Honda makes a damn good bike today

But I preferred my Yamaha 650 V Star Classic, looked and felt like a Harley at a fraction of the cost. In fact, a biker friend of mine said the V Star was more dependable then his 25,000 fully tricked out Harley. But his Harley looked cooler.

Since: Aug 08

Shanghai, China

#15 Aug 2, 2011
Jim Em wrote:
<quoted text>
Honda makes a damn good bike today
But I preferred my Yamaha 650 V Star Classic, looked and felt like a Harley at a fraction of the cost. In fact, a biker friend of mine said the V Star was more dependable then his 25,000 fully tricked out Harley. But his Harley looked cooler.
Yea, that's it. Jeep is a shitty car but it looks cool and its a chic magnet
the examiner

Montréal, Canada

#16 Aug 2, 2011
dzhou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, that's it. Jeep is a shitty car but it looks cool and its a chic magnet
I like the look of the Jeep Wrangler. It looks like a military Jeep

http://www.jeep.ca/en/vehicle_home.php...
Opinionated Indian

Vernon Hills, IL

#19 Aug 2, 2011
I think the chinese expended all their creative genius millenia ago.

It's not the fact that China copies things (as if nobody does) but it copies things unabashedly. It copies WITH PRIDE.

It's really assholish of it.
BEAMING Mit PRYDE

New York, NY

#21 Aug 2, 2011
It's because China doesn't kowtow. Just saying.

BTW how's that Democrazy working out for you guys?

A-HHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAA!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yunnan, China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top academic posts are too precious to give up Oct 12 cheapimport 1
Two Indian firms help China ship Myanmar gas ov... Sep '14 RayH 1
China President wants to revive ancient route a... Sep '14 RayH 1
Lakes formed by quake in China threaten flooding Aug '14 MIA 1
Economic model in Xinjiang must be modified to ... Aug '14 Bob Burns 1
Ten provinces among targets of latest anti-graf... Jul '14 Bob Burns 1
QSL Report: July 2014 Jul '14 Aleksandra 1

Yunnan, China People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE