Delphi suspends work at China factory

Delphi suspends work at China factory

There are 25 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Dec 29, 2008, titled Delphi suspends work at China factory. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Auto parts maker Delphi has suspended work at a factory in China due to shrinking demand amid the global economic slump.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
edbull38

Pine Bluff, AR

#1 Dec 29, 2008
Lets all hope that the bailout will get all those Chinese workers back to work at our expense soon . This is the start of all our problems the out sourcing of American labor for cheaper labor and larger profits for the shareholders who don't buy anything but more stock .
Buck

Lakeland, FL

#2 Dec 29, 2008
Couldn't have said it better Ed!
good grief

Wyoming, MI

#3 Dec 29, 2008
Ed you are completely RIGHT! I am glad to see they closed a shop down oversees. Maybe it will help our workers get back to work quicker! My father in law works for Delphi and has been there for about 30 years. He was told last week that in January he will be laid off and they will call him back when the economy picks back up. I have a feeling he is going to have a lot of time on his hands!
TedNugent

Plainwell, MI

#4 Dec 29, 2008
What comes around goes around.
TedNugent

Plainwell, MI

#5 Dec 29, 2008
That comment was for China, by the way.
Dan

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure there are people in Japan wishing Toyota would shut down their American plants as well. I hope they don't AND I hope GM gets busy enough to put the china plant in service!
Buck

Lakeland, FL

#7 Dec 29, 2008
It's beyond belief the amount of money and perks they paid Steve Miller to take Delphi into Bankrupcy but yet they still are Major sponsors of a IRL car and NASCAR teams. They can't be hurting the way ther're telling the public. There was no reason they had to close the plant in Coopersville. That was a pay back because Rochester NY felt coopersville took their carburetor business when GM decided to develope fuel injectors. The plant manager in NY vowed he would get that business back and when he became general manager over the air fuel business he made it happen. Then he retired.
yyyyya bbooyy

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Dec 29, 2008
its about time ,we need to keep our jobs in the states,we cant give all our jobs to china.we believe we can outsource all these jobs and people will continue to purchase houses cars etc.oh ya I forgot it was the housing crisis that coused all these problems the US is having-HA!
TaW

AOL

#9 Dec 29, 2008
The only people you can blame is the UAW itself. Paying people $30 an hour to put a screw in. Where is the skills base there? Unions gotta go if you want the economy to succeed! There is no doubt about it.
Lakeshore

Grand Haven, MI

#10 Dec 29, 2008
If it weren't for the SHAREHOLDERS GM, FORD and Chrysler would have SUNK long ago! They are the ones putting money INTO the company.

What? Shouldn't they get a return on their investment?

The entitlement mentality is sinking our country. Just wait and see what happens once our Gov't gives away the store. We are going to be taxed 65-75 percent of our wages. Then you will all be standing in line asking for more and more and more from the Gov't, meanwhile the Gov't will take more and more and more from YOU.

Too many are too blind to see what is happening. Wake up!
The Thrill of Speed

Holland, MI

#11 Dec 29, 2008
And why is this news? We have tier 1 supplier plant on shutdown all over North America. The Delphi plant in Suzhou produces product primarily for the Pacific Rim market (China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia & Australia) not for export to the North American market.
Hotelgal

Plano, TX

#12 Dec 29, 2008
I do not believe that CEO's should be getting a 14 million dollar bonus, or any million dollar bonus, that is alot of money considering the crisis the automotive is in right now, they need to ALL come down from their high horses and live a normal life for a couple of years like everyone has to do, we aren't getting raises or bonuses anymore, and most of us working people are still doing the same job, and some of us are doing more because other jobs in our companies were cut so we are picking up the slack and just thankful & grateful we still have a job, so the Executives, CEO'S and so on should take cuts and do more work, we are ALL in this together not just the middle & low class people.
Lakeshore

Grand Haven, MI

#13 Dec 29, 2008
And maybe the UAW should SELL their $6.6 Million dollar golf course at the $33 Million dollar Resort too.

All purchased with Union Dues.

So you do you think that the average line worker has any idea that they paid for those luxuries for their Union Bosses? And, have they ever been invited to stay and play golf at that Resort?

I bet not.

Double standards.
tom

Greenville, MI

#14 Dec 29, 2008
Hotelgal wrote:
I do not believe that CEO's should be getting a 14 million dollar bonus, or any million dollar bonus, that is alot of money considering the crisis the automotive is in right now, they need to ALL come down from their high horses and live a normal life for a couple of years like everyone has to do, we aren't getting raises or bonuses anymore, and most of us working people are still doing the same job, and some of us are doing more because other jobs in our companies were cut so we are picking up the slack and just thankful & grateful we still have a job, so the Executives, CEO'S and so on should take cuts and do more work, we are ALL in this together not just the middle & low class people.
part of the union dinosaur mentality, along with excess pay and vacation/sick days, is the stupidity of not crossing over to do another job when they need help, or you're slow because of stupid union restrictions. my friend couldn't believe it! idiotic production drag.
ok, so some ceo's are wrongly & stupidly compensated,
enough already....they're ceo's, you aren't. get past it and find something else tobitcg about and blame besides yourselves. it's changing pal, it's over.
tom

Greenville, MI

#15 Dec 29, 2008
good grief wrote:
Ed you are completely RIGHT! I am glad to see they closed a shop down oversees. Maybe it will help our workers get back to work quicker! My father in law works for Delphi and has been there for about 30 years. He was told last week that in January he will be laid off and they will call him back when the economy picks back up. I have a feeling he is going to have a lot of time on his hands!
face it, he had a good job, probably well paid, with a high school(it's nothing now) diploma. it's over. he'll get called back about the time the pope joins the crc. have a good one.
trung

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#16 Dec 29, 2008
like sex
Jim B

Pueblo, CO

#17 Dec 29, 2008
Best news of the day..
Lakeshore

Grand Haven, MI

#18 Dec 29, 2008
To add to post #13, I just read that the UAW has LOST $23 million dollars over the past 5 years on THAT resort too.

No responsibility whatsoever. Just blame everybody else. America's new mantra! Makes you proud, doesn't it?!?!?!
Sandy

United States

#19 Dec 30, 2008
This is good news. They should not make anything there or any other country they have people here that need jobs! Keep all work in the USA.
old china

Chengdu, China

#20 Dec 30, 2008
Sandy wrote:
This is good news. They should not make anything there or any other country they have people here that need jobs! Keep all work in the USA.
Then the cost of component parts goes up... and the cars get more expensive to produce .... so fewer people will be able to afford them......

You could always try and produce something that the world wants and can afford.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shanghai, China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is our God!!! Dec '16 Breams 1
News Boy urinates in Vancouver bin, anti-China vitri... (Sep '13) Nov '16 LOVE CHINA destro... 119
Chinese people in China should not interbreed w... Sep '16 epep 2
Chinese martial arts. Aug '16 epep 5
God Damned Holy Spirit!!! Jul '16 dGo mnaDed lyHo i... 1
News Pink Panther actor Burt Kwouk dies aged 85 (May '16) May '16 Old Sam 1
News Michael Jackson theme park based on his Neverla... (Apr '16) Apr '16 RIP Prince 1
More from around the web