The truth about Tibet and Dalai Lama

The truth about Tibet and Dalai Lama

There are 109 comments on the China Daily story from Dec 20, 2011, titled The truth about Tibet and Dalai Lama. In it, China Daily reports that:

I read an article by Elisabeth Nauclrs in the Aug 22 edition of Hufvudstadsbladet in which she expresses anger with the Finnish government and president for not according the Dalai Lama an official reception.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at China Daily.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Lysia

Australia

#1 Dec 21, 2011
What utter rubbish from someone purporting to be a 'scholar'. Has he read anything other than Chinese propaganda and their rewritten history of the region? China does not have the right to control by brute force and cruelty regions or countries or people or cultures. We who are free can only hope that China's own people will one day stand up for their freedom and that of Tibet.
HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH

Astoria, NY

#2 Dec 21, 2011
The Aborigenes want to hear from you.
Old Jew

San Francisco, CA

#3 Dec 21, 2011
As far as most of the world thinks, Tibetans are ethnic Chinese and that's how they are treated in America. Be proud that you are an ethnic Chinese, 995 of the tibetans are, in fact most Tibetans live outside Tibet in other parts of China, mostly in Sichuan.
Jack

Alexandria, Australia

#4 Dec 21, 2011
Lysia wrote:
What utter rubbish from someone purporting to be a 'scholar'. Has he read anything other than Chinese propaganda and their rewritten history of the region? China does not have the right to control by brute force and cruelty regions or countries or people or cultures. We who are free can only hope that China's own people will one day stand up for their freedom and that of Tibet.
You are obviously clueless about China/Tibet history. Furthermore, you must be a "mushroom" being fed by a lot of rubbish by CNN or some other anti-China propoganda. I have just returned from a visit in Tibet 1 month ago. I stayed there 2 weeks and went to the surronunding cities such as Tsedang, Shigatse, Gyangtse... Religious freedom is obviously practiced widely in Tibet. People in Tibet are well dressed and many own private cars. Yes, there are some military police stationed in busy streets in Lhasa. The people, I talked with and mostly Tibetans, are happy for them to be there after the riot a few years ago. They do believe that the riot was planned and instigated by Dalai Clique in India. They feel a lot safer with them there!
My advice is that you should go there with an open mind and pay a visit before open your big mouth.
Old Jew

San Francisco, CA

#5 Dec 21, 2011
I live in an area with many ethnic Chinese called Tibetans, they are more than happy to be as status quo. Yes there are a handful of Tibetans protesting each month but it makes up less than .1% of the pop.
JimBob

Toronto, Canada

#6 Dec 21, 2011
Old Jew wrote:
I live in an area with many ethnic Chinese called Tibetans, they are more than happy to be as status quo. Yes there are a handful of Tibetans protesting each month but it makes up less than .1% of the pop.
Nah Tibetans are Tibetans not Han Chinese they have there own language and culture.
Palestinians are not Israelis and French Canadians are not English Canadians either.
old china

Chengdu, China

#7 Dec 21, 2011
Lysia wrote:
It is easy to claim that something is "utter rubbish" but you need to take the points made and disprove them otherwise you just join the ranks of propagandists. Personally I thought the article was a lot more rational than the sycophantic bull5hit that the author was attacking. Most of what was written by Eirik Granqvist can be found elsewhere written by other scholars such as Michael Parenti (“an award-winning, internationally known American political scientist, historian, and culture critic”) who has not been linked to the Chinese government and as such must be regarded as independent.

BTW, you are no more "free" in Australia than we are in China. We ALL have a hierarchy deciding what we can do and cannot do and NONE of us have any say in it once the politicians are in office – all we can hope to do is influence their decisions (which we do in China). Unless you are one of the minority of self important busybodies who knows what is good for everybody else then it makes little difference whether a government is elected or self appointed as long as our standards of living get better in the long term rather than worse. Personally, I prefer good government (which the Chinese can participate in if they are so minded) to democratically elected incompetents (bought and paid for) who reject public opinion once they are in office and seem to think that it is their role in life to bankrupt countries and engage in warfare rather than serve the general public.

Meanwhile, if you wish to address the issue of self determination then perhaps you should emancipate the Australian Aboriginals before you criticise others, that is if you can still identify anybody left who is genuinely an Aboriginal.
old china

Chengdu, China

#8 Dec 21, 2011
JimBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah Tibetans are Tibetans not Han Chinese they have there own language and culture.
Palestinians are not Israelis and French Canadians are not English Canadians either.
French Canadians are still Canadians regardless of their linguistic origins just as Tibetans are still part of the Chinese family. People in Hong Kong and Sichuan, for example, speak a different dialect than the Chinese in Beijing. Does that make people in Hong Kong and Sichuan are not Chinese?
old china

Chengdu, China

#9 Dec 21, 2011
oops... that should read: Does that make people in Hong Kong and Sichuan non Chinese?
JimBob

Toronto, Canada

#10 Dec 22, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
French Canadians are still Canadians regardless of their linguistic origins just as Tibetans are still part of the Chinese family. People in Hong Kong and Sichuan, for example, speak a different dialect than the Chinese in Beijing. Does that make people in Hong Kong and Sichuan are not Chinese?
Tibetans may be Chinese citizens today but they are Tibetans with there own culture and language.
Tibet had an Empire at one time in history as did Mongolia another nation China tried to claim as part of China but was rebuffed by the Russians.
The Qing Dynasty was pretty big.
well

Dundas, Canada

#11 Dec 22, 2011
Free Tibet!
Free

Sydney, Australia

#12 Dec 22, 2011
Lysia wrote:
Utter lies and rubbish form someone like you purporting to know the truth about this evil wolf in sheep's clothing.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#13 Dec 22, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
Hong Kong people call themselves Chinese. Tibetans do not.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#14 Dec 22, 2011
There's not even any such person as "Elisabeth Nauclrs." What the heck kinda messed up name is that.
old china

Chengdu, China

#15 Dec 23, 2011
JimBob wrote:
<quoted text>
Tibetans may be Chinese citizens today but they are Tibetans with there own culture and language.
Tibet had an Empire at one time in history as did Mongolia another nation China tried to claim as part of China but was rebuffed by the Russians.
The Qing Dynasty was pretty big.
The native North Americans also have their own culture and language but I'll bet that the majority occupying Canada are not natives but descendents of invaders who now dominate the Canadian society and have relegated the natives to 3rd class citizens. However in Tibet less than 10% of the population are from outside of Tibet and better than 80% of those governing the region are native Tibetans. Meanwhile the central government of Beijing have greatly improved education, health & infrastructure since they regained their administration and at the same time emancipating the slaves and serfs of the former rulers.

Tibet is not perfect because people do not like change but it is somewhat questionable as to just how many would want to revert back to serfdom and slavery even if they are misguided enough to be nostalgic about their former masters.

I was under the impression that Mongolia split into two with one half declaring independence with the other half remaining Chinese territory. It didn't strike me that it was, as you implied, China trying to claim Russian territory. China's borders have ebbed and flowed over the centuries. No doubt in time they will expand or contract again as circumstances and the relative strength of the national government allows.
old china

Chengdu, China

#16 Dec 23, 2011
CCPgenocideTibet wrote:
<quoted text>
Hong Kong people call themselves Chinese. Tibetans do not.
So what! I call myself English, not UKish even though I am a citizen of the UK. But thinking of myself as being English does not mean that I deny the regional alignment of England, N.Ireland, Scotland and Wales into the UK or the UK's placement within the British Commonwealth and the label of being British (because that's what it says in my passport), rather than 'English'. When my passport expires then I will no longer be British but an EU citizen unless the voters come to their senses and rebel - nobody consulted us.

It's all nonsense - we are who we are and are not shaped by a word to define us as citizens of a geographical region.
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#17 Dec 23, 2011
Lysia wrote:
When are you getting off Aborigine lands and moving back to Europe? Let's see some action.
Old Jew

San Francisco, CA

#18 Dec 23, 2011
To us in America, Tibetans are all the same they are Chinese and had been for a long long time. They all seemed to be happy in being Chinese.
JimBob

Toronto, Canada

#19 Dec 23, 2011
old china wrote:
<quoted text>
The native North Americans also have their own culture and language but I'll bet that the majority occupying Canada are not natives but descendents of invaders who now dominate the Canadian society and have relegated the natives to 3rd class citizens. However in Tibet less than 10% of the population are from outside of Tibet and better than 80% of those governing the region are native Tibetans. Meanwhile the central government of Beijing have greatly improved education, health & infrastructure since they regained their administration and at the same time emancipating the slaves and serfs of the former rulers.
Tibet is not perfect because people do not like change but it is somewhat questionable as to just how many would want to revert back to serfdom and slavery even if they are misguided enough to be nostalgic about their former masters.
I was under the impression that Mongolia split into two with one half declaring independence with the other half remaining Chinese territory. It didn't strike me that it was, as you implied, China trying to claim Russian territory. China's borders have ebbed and flowed over the centuries. No doubt in time they will expand or contract again as circumstances and the relative strength of the national government allows.
Still a CCP payed stooge i see keep the nickels rolling in.

“Bharatha Union 4 Peace”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#20 Dec 23, 2011
China is using the Evil Buddhist Shree Lanka to genocide the Original and Truthful Buddhist People of Tibet.

Shree Lanka is giving all the evil tricks (the way they genocide the Indigenous People of Lanka/Eelam) to China to genocide culturally and physically by raping the women with Chinese Men and the Monks.

Shree Lankan Evil Buddhist Monks disguised them as 'Grease Devils'(put oil all over their body to escape from capturing) at night, and rape the girls(and boys) in the Indigenous Villages.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lhasa, China Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After long freedom struggle, Tibetans still see... Feb '15 Learn prior to ta... 1
News Is Jim Crow alive and well in Tibet?: guest opi... (Nov '14) Feb '15 Learn prior to ta... 6
News Dalai Lama nephew walks 900 miles to NYC for Tibet (Apr '09) Nov '14 Russian Ainu 28
Tibet Will Gain Free Thinking (Nov '14) Nov '14 Friend of all 1
News Chinese military promotes Tibet paramilitary un... (Oct '14) Nov '14 Friend of all 13
News Tibet honors outstanding doctors (Nov '14) Nov '14 Friend of all 1
News China destroys the ancient Buddhist symbols of ... (Dec '13) Nov '14 Friend of all 16
More from around the web