Families press recovery of WW II remains

Full story: Chicago Tribune

The families of eight U.S. military men who died in a 1944 plane crash in the Himalayas want the Pentagon to step up efforts to recover their remains from the crash site discovered last year by a mountaineer.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Carlos

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

I'm sorry but the cost to recover these 60 year old remains (scattered bones at best) far outweighs relative's desires to have them returned. Let's have some fiscal responisiblity and common sense.
Harvard Graduate

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

Agreed. Lets not be pennywise and dollar foolish.
T-man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

Bring 'em home! They gave the last full measure...we're obligated.
Kurt

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

Nice way to honor the sacrifice made by these veterans and their families. Sorry, they died 60 years ago, we can't be bothered with the time or effort to recover the remains. Besides it would cost too much money. Give me a break, since when did fiscal responsibility mean anything in Washington? Congress wastes more money in one day than it would cost to bring closure to the families of the lost airmen. What kind of message does this send to our troops that are in harm's way today?
Darkwater

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

Those that say don't bring them home, waste of money, etc. Shows the real respect that these people have for our military. Thanks for nothing.

Carlos and Harvard Grad. I bet a dollar that neither one of you have ever served in the military, nor have volunteered to give back to the community. You are slime, unworthy of even calling yourselves American.
Darkwater

North Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

Carlos and Harvard - When there is a plane crash, and y9u are in it, anywhere including the US we will just leave your bodies at the crash site.
Contributions

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

Is such an effort even possible since it's already been 60 years?
America First

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

Why spend the money and the risk in an unstable area of the world. There is a war going on in Iraq, spend the money on the boys ALIVE TODAY!!!
Eric

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

America First wrote:
Why spend the money and the risk in an unstable area of the world. There is a war going on in Iraq, spend the money on the boys ALIVE TODAY!!!
Yunnan,China is hardly an "unstable area of the world". The U.S. is committed currently to an unstable area called Iraq, so this is a strange quote.These U.S. aviators should be sent home to the U.S. where they belong at least for the sake of their families.I can't believe that anyone would complain about the costs involved, especially considering the truly foul and foolhardy things that the U.S. government currently spends its money on.At least this gesture would be a good deed.
Rhonin

Perris, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

They died together and in a way, they are buried together. If it was me that was there, I would say leave us alone.
Gary

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2007

Major Brian DeSantis of the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) is quoted here as saying that JPAC submitted the necessary requests for approvals to the Indian Government nearly a year ago. With all due respect to Major DeSantis, there is no evidence to substantiate his claim that JPAC notified India about this crash site almost a year ago. In fact, it was only this past month that the families were informed by the US Embassy in New Delhi that the US Government contacted the Indian Government for the first time just two weeks ago. The families themselves contacted senior Indian Government officials in November 2007, and were informed by them that JPAC had not yet contacted the Indian Government about the crash site, eleven months after Clayton Kuhles of Prescott, Arizona reported his discovery to JPAC.

Gary Zaetz
Nephew of 1st Lt. Irwin G. Zaetz, navigator of the B-24 "Hot as Hell"
Gary Zaetz

Wake Forest, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2008

The upcoming joint India-US Defense Policy Group meeting, scheduled for January 16-17 in Washington, will discuss the recovery of the remains of World War II American MIAs from Indian territory. More specifically, the situation on the ground in Arunachal Pradesh is to be reassessed at that meeting.

My own understanding from direct contacts with Indian federal legislators is that there are no significant impediments to recovery operations in Arunachal Pradesh. More specifically, the area of East Siang in Arunachal Pradesh has no political stability problems. In fact, overall, the political situation in Arunachal Pradesh is quite good, from what we have been told.

The families of the "Hot as Hell" crew strongly advocate the expedited recovery of not just the remains of our own loved ones in East Siang, Arunachal Pradesh, but the recovery of the remains of all American World War II MIAs located in India. We are hoping that Ambassador Charles Ray, Director of the Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office, and Rear Admiral Donna Crisp, Commander, Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command will come to an agreement with Indian authorities to allow recovery operations to begin in Arunachal Pradesh at the earliest possible moment.

Gary Zaetz
Nephew of 1st Lt. Irwin G. Zaetz, navigator of the USAAF B-24 "Hot as Hell", 425th Bomb Squadron, 308th Bomb Group, 14th Air Force
Terri

Alamo, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Carlos wrote:
I'm sorry but the cost to recover these 60 year old remains (scattered bones at best) far outweighs relative's desires to have them returned. Let's have some fiscal responisiblity and common sense.
Maybe if it were YOUR brother or YOUR fiance that had been in the mountains for 60+ YEARS, your view on this matter would be different. My great-uncle is one of the men you speak of (bones and all) and his brother and his fiance are still alive and well. I'm sure they appreciate your responsibility and common sense. What does this type of attitude tell other soldiers? Seriously, how would you feel?
Terri

Alamo, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2008

Just to add another bit of information for you folks. My uncle only wanted to serve his country, come back home to marry and have his farm. So no, we do not feel that he would have liked to have been buried with his crew. He was very close to his family and if there is any way, we want him home!
Shirley Black

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

I am the niece of Flight Officer Sheldon Leroy Chambers. He and thousands of other World War 11 pilots and crew members gave their young lives to keep everyone in the United States safe. My grandmother and his sister my mom and his other siblings have spent 63 years not knowing where he was. The government never tried to go find them and it was not until a private citizen went out on expiditions as his hobby that he discovered their "Hot as Hell" plane as it was named. other planes were also found by this kind American Citizen in the Himalays. I'll bet your sorry asses were never in the military and our government needs to keep their word and bring those identified home to rest. It has been a lot of work for the Chambers family and the other seven families who lost their loved ones on this same air craft. He will be brought home and HE WILL BE GIVEN A FORMAL MILITARY BURIAL IN ARLINGTON IF THE CHAMBERS FAMILY HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!!!!! If any of you fools ever loose a family member to war then let you say no why spend the time and money. You people are not Americans and certainly not the kind of an AMERICAN I WANT TO KNOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••