Africa-bound pope says condoms increase AIDS

Full story: SF Gate

Benedict's first statement on an issue that has divided even Catholic clergy working with AIDS patients came hours before he arrived in Cameroon's capital - greeted by thousands of flag-waving faithful who stood shoulder to shoulder in red dirt fields and jammed downtown streets for a glimpse of the pontiff's motorcade.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 18, 2009
 

Judged:

1

pope is a fool...stop with the myth and superstion.. he values myth over live people... he is a dangerous fool.

“To love and be loved”

Since: Jun 08

right here, right now...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 18, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

Coolmind wrote:
pope is a fool...stop with the myth and superstion.. he values myth over live people... he is a dangerous fool.
Stop... in the name of God, "Coolmind"! Please, don't say that to our beloved Pope. "Show proper respect to everyone. Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the King" (I Pt 2:17).
Anne

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 21, 2009
 
That is an illogical statement on so many levels that it's ridiculous. Someone who lives in what many would consider a palace is making definitive and sadly mistaken directives that only compound the misery index for people he purports to be helping.

Abstinence is a good practice, but is not always realistic. No one in his or her right mind believes that condoms solve the AIDS problem. They do, however, help to stop the spread of this STD as well as others. But I firmly believe his primary objection to them is that they are also instrumental in birth control, which the Church adamantly opposes.

Just as following his irrational directive and not using condoms would result in even more unnecessary illnesses and deaths, it has resulted in many births to families that are too poor to support them adequately. He is too far removed from the everyday struggles and tribulations of everyday people to be useful in this instance.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 21, 2009
 
Anne wrote:
That is an illogical statement on so many levels that it's ridiculous. Someone who lives in what many would consider a palace is making definitive and sadly mistaken directives that only compound the misery index for people he purports to be helping.
Abstinence is a good practice, but is not always realistic. No one in his or her right mind believes that condoms solve the AIDS problem. They do, however, help to stop the spread of this STD as well as others. But I firmly believe his primary objection to them is that they are also instrumental in birth control, which the Church adamantly opposes.
Just as following his irrational directive and not using condoms would result in even more unnecessary illnesses and deaths, it has resulted in many births to families that are too poor to support them adequately. He is too far removed from the everyday struggles and tribulations of everyday people to be useful in this instance.
Well, the headline was misleading-if you'll review the story, the distribution of condoms was the reference point, not condoms themselves. Big difference.

But, yes, the root objection for the RCC is that condoms' primary function is that of birth control, which the Church opposes.

I though Ms. Hodes' comment was gratuitous; her efforts aren't bringing results, so she deflects blame for that failure onto the Pope. His well-known abstinence message goes largely unheeded, but somehow if he were to endorse prophylatics, there would be a massive uptick in their usage. Right.
Anne

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 21, 2009
 
I don't know about the people who would listen to him if he did endorse condoms, or if his approval of them would increase their usage. But I do know that a lot of people with common sense reject a directive they know is illogical, because they know that their usage is part of responsible behavior about sex.

It is responsible to use some form of birth control even in marriage, because everyone has greater or lesser limitations on how many children they can adequately or responsibly support.

It is also responsible in instances where many wives in third-world countries are unable to refuse their husbands sex and are therefore subjected to unwanted pregnancies or diseases their husbands might have contracted as the result of infidelity. In such countries, women are not valued and are oppressed.

At the end of the day, the Pope is a human being just like the rest of us, and therefore fallible.
He is right on many things, but wrong in this instance.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 21, 2009
 
Anne wrote:
I don't know about the people who would listen to him if he did endorse condoms, or if his approval of them would increase their usage. But I do know that a lot of people with common sense reject a directive they know is illogical, because they know that their usage is part of responsible behavior about sex.
It is responsible to use some form of birth control even in marriage, because everyone has greater or lesser limitations on how many children they can adequately or responsibly support.
It is also responsible in instances where many wives in third-world countries are unable to refuse their husbands sex and are therefore subjected to unwanted pregnancies or diseases their husbands might have contracted as the result of infidelity. In such countries, women are not valued and are oppressed.
At the end of the day, the Pope is a human being just like the rest of us, and therefore fallible.
He is right on many things, but wrong in this instance.
He's wrong if one gives in to the asssumption that people are incapable of self-determination on matters of this nature.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 21, 2009
 
Perhaps in a few hundred years they will get it, just like they finally did with Galileo....
Anne

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 21, 2009
 
He's wrong, no matter how you cut it. Plenty of people reject that directive precisely because they ARE capable of self-determination on matters of this nature. It is particularly empowering for women to have birth control, and empowering for everybody when the incidence of HIV/AIDS is
decreased.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 23, 2009
 
Anne wrote:
He's wrong, no matter how you cut it. Plenty of people reject that directive precisely because they ARE capable of self-determination on matters of this nature. It is particularly empowering for women to have birth control, and empowering for everybody when the incidence of HIV/AIDS is
decreased.
Well, in the case at hand,
the results seem mixed at best; all the "empowerment" tools at their disposal and still the same sad results.
Anne

Boyds, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 23, 2009
 
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, in the case at hand,
the results seem mixed at best; all the "empowerment" tools at their disposal and still the same sad results.
There is still no doubt that condoms have saved lives, and that is all that matters. The mixed results are no reason to discount them, since mixed results are better than no positive results.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 23, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
There is still no doubt that condoms have saved lives, and that is all that matters. The mixed results are no reason to discount them, since mixed results are better than no positive results.
I think that you will find that those who practice what the Pope is teaching enjoy a good measure of success in avoiding STD's.
Anne

Boyds, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 23, 2009
 
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that you will find that those who practice what the Pope is teaching enjoy a good measure of success in avoiding STD's.
I totally agree with you about responsible behavior cutting down on AIDS or HIV. Where we differ is that condoms have been proven to make a difference for the better. There are people who exemplify the behavior the Pope espouses, but they have as spouses people who do not, and they need a way to protect themselves.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 23, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with you about responsible behavior cutting down on AIDS or HIV. Where we differ is that condoms have been proven to make a difference for the better. There are people who exemplify the behavior the Pope espouses, but they have as spouses people who do not, and they need a way to protect themselves.
The root cause is the cultural attitude towards sex and subsequent sexual behavior. Period. You could hand a condom to evey single African on the continent and you'd still have the problem.

Fairly certain that if a wife can't refuse her husband sex, she probably can't tell him to use a rubber else she cuts him off.
Panafrican

Pontiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 23, 2009
 
The pope better tell white people to be less racist and less evil.
Anne

Boyds, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 23, 2009
 
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The root cause is the cultural attitude towards sex and subsequent sexual behavior. Period. You could hand a condom to evey single African on the continent and you'd still have the problem.
Fairly certain that if a wife can't refuse her husband sex, she probably can't tell him to use a rubber else she cuts him off.
There is such a thing as female condoms.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 23, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
There is such a thing as female condoms.
So, in this case, the man will refuse to use them, but the female will? Really?
Anne

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 23, 2009
 
Svarog wrote:
Obviously, ex-Hitlerjugend member Ratzinger suffers from a severe bout of dementia, coupled with his long known bigotry and hypocrisy.
I for one am glad that a lot of folks do not listen to him on this issue. The fewer who do, the smaller the misery index.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 24, 2009
 
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I for one am glad that a lot of folks do not listen to him on this issue. The fewer who do, the smaller the misery index.
Africa's not listening. How small is their misery index?

“To love and be loved”

Since: Jun 08

right here, right now...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 24, 2009
 
Svarog wrote:
Obviously, ex-Hitlerjugend member Ratzinger suffers from a severe bout of dementia, coupled with his long known bigotry and hypocrisy.
The Pope is doing his holy mission as the highest Spiritual Leader to his faithful to follow in accordance with church teaching for their benefit; if they can, to live a better and healthier life physically, morally and spiritually.
Anne

Boyds, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 24, 2009
 
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Africa's not listening. How small is their misery index?
Their index is pretty large, and it has less to do with the Pope than with other factors. A lot of people in the developed countries don't listen to his edict, and are much better off for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Yaounde, Cameroon Discussions

Search the Yaounde, Cameroon Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Yaounde Music Forum (Nov '12) Thu Musikologist 8
Reunification: revisiting the Foumban deliberat... Feb '14 FALCON-CREST 1
Government Recruits Thousands within Cameroon's... (Jan '10) Jan '14 nelvis 25
RTE Ten's top telly for today Dec '13 Francesco Sinibaldi 1
French researchers find new strain of HIV virus... (Aug '09) Oct '13 nuares 5
Cameroon Rally Targets Suspected Gay Bars (Aug '13) Oct '13 Paul 6
No action on homophobic violence in Cameroon (Sep '13) Sep '13 Beauty Queen 3
•••
•••
•••
•••