Teen Beaten In Detention

There are 20 comments on the Apr 19, 2010, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story titled Teen Beaten In Detention. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

On Thanksgiving day 17-year-old Anthony Miller was not himself. Prone to suffer from psychotic episodes Miller was being treated but according to his parents had not taken his medication.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Is it not greatt

Erie, PA

#1 Apr 19, 2010
the way people with mental illness are treated by our justice system? Instead of taking this child to a hospital for a med adjustment, he is taken to the detention center, then beaten by a guard. Pitiful.
GGG

Medina, OH

#2 Apr 19, 2010
Despicable.

He needed to be in a mental ward in a hospital, not in juvie.
luvebug1023

AOL

#4 Apr 19, 2010
do I agree that the gaurds need to protect themselves.. absolutely. do I think that teenagers are completely out of control..absolutely !!! I know because my son is almost 17 and we have our share of problems with him..he has a brain injury..what needs done? frankly, I have no idea but what is going on isnt working. but is it coinsidence that the time frame of all these problems are the kids raised without corpral punishment in schools & rights taken away from parents?? dont think so...shoulda known this would happen !!!
gracie50

Levittown, PA

#5 Apr 19, 2010
OMG... so the parents put their child in a detention center, because they wanted him to get medical care....PLEASE..... is this a joke... who puts their well manored child there for medical help.. i do not agree with how this gaurd handled this situation..but i also do not believe that we are hearing the actual story....people do not commit their children to detention center for medical help.... give me a break.... it is also the parents fault if that is the best they can do...
J money

Cleveland, OH

#6 Apr 19, 2010
that monkey shouldnt have been there in the first place...maybe if all these monkeys didnt break the law all the time theyd be seeing less of jail...so ignorant its unreal
To luvebugg

Erie, PA

#7 Apr 19, 2010
I have a nephew with a brain injury that is having problems as well. My heart goes out to you. There is help for "our" kids out there. Don't stop looking.

Since: Aug 09

Stow, OH

#8 Apr 19, 2010
Why wasn't this child taken to CHMC? They have a psychiatric unit, and would have helped him. My thoughts and prayers go to the young man, and to his family.
gracie

Erie, PA

#9 Apr 19, 2010
Did you even bother to read the article?! The parents did NOT put their child there. They called for help, and a misguided system did.

Since: Aug 09

Stow, OH

#10 Apr 19, 2010
Is it not greatt wrote:
the way people with mental illness are treated by our justice system? Instead of taking this child to a hospital for a med adjustment, he is taken to the detention center, then beaten by a guard. Pitiful.
As for the police report being for information only? I say COVER UP JOB.

Since: Aug 09

Stow, OH

#11 Apr 19, 2010
To luvebugg wrote:
I have a nephew with a brain injury that is having problems as well. My heart goes out to you. There is help for "our" kids out there. Don't stop looking.
Check out beingsick@yahoogroups.com
c from cleveland

Olmsted Falls, OH

#12 Apr 19, 2010
What is wrong with our justice system? Seriously the things these authority figures are getting away with is baffeling. I am beside myself. Ohio needs to change!
ricardo

Big Prairie, OH

#13 Apr 19, 2010
This is disgusting! I am so sick of seeing government, law enforcement and sports players not being prosecuted for breaking laws. And why don't the news agencies push the issue?
Puddin

Lexington, NC

#14 Apr 19, 2010
gracie50 wrote:
OMG... so the parents put their child in a detention center, because they wanted him to get medical care....PLEASE..... is this a joke... who puts their well manored child there for medical help.. i do not agree with how this gaurd handled this situation..but i also do not believe that we are hearing the actual story....people do not commit their children to detention center for medical help.... give me a break.... it is also the parents fault if that is the best they can do...
Read the article b4 u comment!!!His parents did not put him n detention.They called 2 get him some help(& yes u can call the autorities if someone needs medical help even if it is pyschotic)!!!The authorities sent him 2 detention after they discovered he had a trespass warrant out 4 him!!!They could have taken him 2 detention after he was given medical attention!!!
Puddin

Lexington, NC

#15 Apr 19, 2010
J money wrote:
that **** shouldnt have been there in the first place...maybe if all these **** didnt break the law all the time theyd be seeing less of jail...so ignorant its unreal
Regardless of why he was there this officer had NO right 2 abuse this child!Would u want your child abused like this because he had a trespass warrant against him???If you would then u need some mental help 2!!!
Puddin

Lexington, NC

#16 Apr 19, 2010
luvebug1023 wrote:
do I agree that the gaurds need to protect themselves.. absolutely. do I think that teenagers are completely out of control..absolutely !!! I know because my son is almost 17 and we have our share of problems with him..he has a brain injury..what needs done? frankly, I have no idea but what is going on isnt working. but is it coinsidence that the time frame of all these problems are the kids raised without corpral punishment in schools & rights taken away from parents?? dont think so...shoulda known this would happen !!!
This officer was NOT protecting himself-he got up from the table,walked over 2 this child,&escorted him 2 the back room.Then he proceeded 2 assault him.Ridiculous!!!This has nothing 2 do with rights taken away from parents because this child did not assault the officer.This guy just wanted 2 b a BADA$$!!!If he only knew how STUPID he looked...!!!His parents were just trying 2 get him help!!!Believe it or not there r some people n this world that need some help!!!
Janice from Canton

Wadsworth, OH

#18 Apr 19, 2010
I too have a son in in a juvenile detention center. This story has absolutely horrified me! I am now worried and wondering if this might be happening to my son or someone else. It is a shame that we can't even trust those who are supposed to help us with our children. My son too has had a traumatic past and I can only pray that God will keep him safe. I will continue to pray for you and your family.
just me

Cleveland, OH

#19 Apr 20, 2010
Janice from Canton wrote:
I too have a son in in a juvenile detention center. This story has absolutely horrified me! I am now worried and wondering if this might be happening to my son or someone else. It is a shame that we can't even trust those who are supposed to help us with our children. My son too has had a traumatic past and I can only pray that God will keep him safe. I will continue to pray for you and your family.
I agree with your comment, but the C.O.'s excuse will be protecting themselves WHY one of theirs is dead because of a kid and that happen here in Cuyahoga. I just don't know what this kid has done for this to happen to him. I also hope that his parents get the Federal gov't involved to really check it out real good, and find out if it is going on with other kids. I say let your kids know that you will listen and protect them from the people who work there at this place as best as you can.
just me

Cleveland, OH

#20 Apr 20, 2010
J money wrote:
that **** shouldnt have been there in the first place...maybe if all these **** didnt break the law all the time theyd be seeing less of jail...so ignorant its unreal
I can just hear you now if this was your kid....crying all the way and saying that your baby didn't deserve this kind of treatment, and your going to go get Tim Minsy and get paid.
Reading is Fundamental

Brecksville, OH

#21 Apr 20, 2010
gracie50 wrote:
OMG... so the parents put their child in a detention center, because they wanted him to get medical care....PLEASE..... is this a joke... who puts their well manored child there for medical help.. i do not agree with how this gaurd handled this situation..but i also do not believe that we are hearing the actual story....people do not commit their children to detention center for medical help.... give me a break.... it is also the parents fault if that is the best they can do...
If you read the story you will see the parents wanted him to get medical help and it was the AUTHORITIES who took him to the detention center instead
No conservative

Cleveland, OH

#22 Apr 20, 2010
luvebug1023 wrote:
do I agree that the gaurds need to protect themselves.. absolutely. do I think that teenagers are completely out of control..absolutely !!! I know because my son is almost 17 and we have our share of problems with him..he has a brain injury..what needs done? frankly, I have no idea but what is going on isnt working. but is it coinsidence that the time frame of all these problems are the kids raised without corpral punishment in schools & rights taken away from parents?? dont think so...shoulda known this would happen !!!
I wonder what reaction you would have taken if it were your 17-yr old that had gotten attacked. Come on, be honest now. Would you say he deserved it? I think not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where can you buy heroin in cleveland? 17 min Dray0937 6
Heroin ? 1 hr Dray0937 10
fun 9 hr Marisolinda2 1
Fernando Colon..... Fri Susan 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Fri Hiawatha 19,847
Dog food in cleveland Apr 20 need help 24
Ariel Anthony Castro, Jr. Apr 20 Mindy 1
More from around the web

Cleveland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]