|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
speaking of 8 ball
that pool cue is a weapon used thousands of years to kill humans.
ban them.
While I understand some of the argument that other dangerous weapons would remain if guns were banned, what do those sporting this argument use to make up the difference in the statistics between homicides in countries with gun bans and without.

We've seen an overall reduction in shooting deaths since the gun ban, coupled with the drop in all crime. Shouldn't these gun deaths have been subsumed into a rise in murders by other implements, for this argument to hold?

Or is it an argument only intended to be used in contexts where nobody participating in the conversation knows anything of other countries, their approaches through modern history and the results?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Not gonna get away with that crap here Bubba. This is something I know a little bit about.
Indoor Billiards wasn't invented until the 1400's and outdoor billiards only began in the mid 14th century.
At most, the game is about 675 years old.
So when are we gonna have that duel? You and Karl get the knitting needles, I get the Bushmaster 223. Remember?
woof
O brilliant one !!!!!!!!!!

sticks have only been around 675 years?

that shows how far out of reality you are.

and in your duel venture....you would be a dead loud mouth.

ever heard of a bayonet?

the purpose of a bayonet is when quarry is within 30 feet.

why...because as you draw, a trained soldier will roll and jump up stabbing you through the heart faster than you can blink.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
While I understand some of the argument that other dangerous weapons would remain if guns were banned, what do those sporting this argument use to make up the difference in the statistics between homicides in countries with gun bans and without.
We've seen an overall reduction in shooting deaths since the gun ban, coupled with the drop in all crime. Shouldn't these gun deaths have been subsumed into a rise in murders by other implements, for this argument to hold?
Or is it an argument only intended to be used in contexts where nobody participating in the conversation knows anything of other countries, their approaches through modern history and the results?
as you throw rocks you are breaking windowshttp://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/List_of_countries_by_int entional_homicide_rate

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
as you throw rocks you are breaking windowshttp://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/List_of_countries_by_int entional_homicide_rate
This is actually exactly what I was talking about.

If banning guns wouldn't reduce the homicide rate due to the assumption that murders would find other tools, what keeps the UK at 1.2 to the US's 4.2? Shouldn't the murders have found other tools?

Just after a mass shooting the UK placed serious restrictions on firearms and came out of a spike in violent crime. There's been no rise in knife, car, bomb or pool cue deaths to make up the difference.

What keeps Australia at the 1.0 they reached after strict firearms restrictions?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
This is actually exactly what I was talking about.
If banning guns wouldn't reduce the homicide rate due to the assumption that murders would find other tools, what keeps the UK at 1.2 to the US's 4.2? Shouldn't the murders have found other tools?
Just after a mass shooting the UK placed serious restrictions on firearms and came out of a spike in violent crime. There's been no rise in knife, car, bomb or pool cue deaths to make up the difference.
What keeps Australia at the 1.0 they reached after strict firearms restrictions?
ever heard of population differences?

if you are equipped to do the math.....there is not a measurable difference between our 2 countries.

PS: may I say that Europe is more religious?

In italy this summer, a waiter gave grace after serving our table.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
O brilliant one !!!!!!!!!!
sticks have only been around 675 years?
that shows how far out of reality you are.
and in your duel venture....you would be a dead loud mouth.
ever heard of a bayonet?
the purpose of a bayonet is when quarry is within 30 feet.
why...because as you draw, a trained soldier will roll and jump up stabbing you through the heart faster than you can blink.
Its always so much fun to take your exact words, and point out how ridiculously wrong they are. You said "pool cue". Your words. Said they've been used for "thousands of years" as murder weapons.

Billiards wasn't invented until around 1340, in France.

As for the duel, once again, your exact words.

You claimed knitting needles were just as dangerous as firearms.

I then asked you if you wanted a fair opportunity to prove that claim scientifically, and the next thing I know you're telling me you're gonna bring knives to the duel instead of knitting needles and prove to me using knives that knitting needles are just as lethal as firearms.

You got beat up frequently as a kid, didn't you?

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Most likely, he was thanking God that he was done waiting on you.

woof

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
ever heard of population differences?
if you are equipped to do the math.....there is not a measurable difference between our 2 countries.
PS: may I say that Europe is more religious?
...the math *is* done. The rate is per 100,000 people.

A gallup poll conducted in 2009 indicates that 75% of people here don't think religion is important, as opposed to 35% of people in the US...

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, here's the Gallop poll data, put in a table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_re...

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
You should look up another chart, one that shows fertility rates.
I'm having a tough time sorting out how this, or a nation being an island would lower the homicide rate but I'm quite interested to hear more!
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Its always so much fun to take your exact words, and point out how ridiculously wrong they are. You said "pool cue". Your words. Said they've been used for "thousands of years" as murder weapons.
Billiards wasn't invented until around 1340, in France.
As for the duel, once again, your exact words.
You claimed knitting needles were just as dangerous as firearms.
I then asked you if you wanted a fair opportunity to prove that claim scientifically, and the next thing I know you're telling me you're gonna bring knives to the duel instead of knitting needles and prove to me using knives that knitting needles are just as lethal as firearms.
You got beat up frequently as a kid, didn't you?
woof
O brilliant one

pool cues are sticks

pool stick?

made of wood

you know....sticks

PS: it is you bruised by childhood beatings.

look at my yearbook to see the popular list...you guessed it...my pic is there.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm having a tough time sorting out how this, or a nation being an island would lower the homicide rate but I'm quite interested to hear more!
Australia is a homogenous society, geographically isolated by today's standards with very selective immigration criteria compared to the United States.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Australia is a homogenous society, geographically isolated by today's standards with very selective immigration criteria compared to the United States.
Did you check to see if this is true before writing it down?

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs @.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/1370 .0~2010~Chapter~Overseas%20bor n%20population%20%283.6%29

Moving to Australia is considerably easier than moving to the UK or the US!

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/01ba...

For an overview of the system out there. It's pretty stand up!

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, the link is no good. I'll type out the relative percentages.

Aus foreign born population in 2007: 25.0%
US foreign born population in 2007: 13.6%

Google "1370.0 - Measures of Australia's Progress, 2010" for the full dataset.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>Australia is a homogenous society, geographically isolated by today's standards with very selective immigration criteria compared to the United States.
Not quite correct HVT.

in 2006, 24% of Australia's population was born outside of the country, and the "White Only" immigration policy was abandoned decades ago.

And given that we live in an era during which air travel is as commonplace as riding a bus, what exactly does "geographically isolated by today's standards" mean? What specifically, are "today's standards".

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
Get ready. If you provide them too many facts, you will be labeled a leftist, communist, enemy of democracy.

woof

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
Did you happen to consider that of that 25% foreign born the majority come from Europe? White, western democratic tradition, educated nations. HOMOGENOUS.
And there is no nation easier to enter as a poor, uneducated third worlder than the United States.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>Did you happen to consider that of that 25% foreign born the majority come from Europe? White, western democratic tradition, educated nations. HOMOGENOUS.
And there is no nation easier to enter as a poor, uneducated third worlder than the United States.
...are you just assuming this, again?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite correct HVT.
in 2006, 24% of Australia's population was born outside of the country, and the "White Only" immigration policy was abandoned decades ago.
And given that we live in an era during which air travel is as commonplace as riding a bus, what exactly does "geographically isolated by today's standards" mean? What specifically, are "today's standards".
woof
Geographically isolated = no land borders and no other nation's territory within 100 miles (across Torres Strait to PNG.)
Today's standards = long distance air travel from any other appreciable population.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

72% of immigrants to Australia come from regions other than Europe or North America!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cleveland Discussions

Search the Cleveland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 42 min bannedagain3 18,569
What happened today (07/24) 14 hr xxxrayted 7
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Sat Go Blue Forever 2,218
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
CONVENTION Center Jul 22 Year 2016 1
the Podcast, Episode 53: Summer League Review, ... Jul 21 Anonymous 1
tian roya facebook Jul 20 CONCERNED FAMILY 1
•••

Rip Current Statement for Cuyahoga County was issued at July 28 at 9:22AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Cleveland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000