Child Dies in Hotel Swimming Pool

Child Dies in Hotel Swimming Pool

There are 220 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Jan 1, 2010, titled Child Dies in Hotel Swimming Pool. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

A local family is dealing with tragedy to start the new year. A 10-year-old boy has died, after he was discovered at the bottom of a hotel swimming pool.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Akron woman

Akron, OH

#1 Jan 1, 2010
where the hell was this childs parents? I dont understand?

Since: Jan 10

Mission, KS

#2 Jan 1, 2010
This is horsecrap. The parents are dipshits
White Snake

United States

#3 Jan 1, 2010
I agree, the parents should bear some of the responsibility.

Mission, KS

#4 Jan 1, 2010
Yes and if the parents blame the hotel it will be an outrage. Wouldn't you agree
Natalie Willoughby Hills

Willoughby, OH

#5 Jan 1, 2010
This is absolutely horrible! I think that is the BIG question! Where were his parents? Whenever my son was near water or in a pool, I NEVER took my eyes off him, he is now 26, and I'd still do the same. Parental instinct!!!!! May he RIP!!!!!!! Very sad!!
Sue in Barberton

Akron, OH

#6 Jan 1, 2010
I understand this is a horrible story, and a horrible way to start a new year, and that a child is dead. But I don't see anything about the parents. I rather doubt that any of you were there to witness this. I know I wasn't. So how do any of you know if the parents were there or not? Was there a life guard on duty? Most hotels that I have been in strictly forbid swimming unless a life guard is on duty. I don't think we have all the facts. My thoughts and prayers go to this child, and his family.
Deanna Cortez

Lakewood, OH

#7 Jan 1, 2010
There should have been more chaparones...how come none of the other children alerted the adults that were there that the child had been underwater that long? How can a child be raised without being aware of their surroundings. Someone should have noticed something was wrong.
JRR

Elyria, OH

#8 Jan 1, 2010
For all you people that are blaming the parents why don't you read the article first before posting... this was a party that had chaperons (4 though was not enough for 30 kids) the pearents were to pick up kids later (article says 9) party started at 6 when the boy and his brother started swimming... READ ARTICLES FIRST
amanda white

United States

#9 Jan 1, 2010
20-30 kids in a small hotel pool in rediculas!!! the hotel should have seen way to many children to be there in the pool area - no matter how many adults were watching - very sad
JRR

Elyria, OH

#10 Jan 1, 2010
instead of asking where were the parents,,, we should ask where were the chaperons..........
Ann Porter

Cleveland, OH

#11 Jan 1, 2010
30 kids had how much supervision? Something says they weren't "supervising" at all. This can be blamed on adult stupidity. This was an unnecessary waste of a young life. It is so sad.

Mission, KS

#12 Jan 1, 2010
Sue in Barberton wrote:
I understand this is a horrible story, and a horrible way to start a new year, and that a child is dead. But I don't see anything about the parents. I rather doubt that any of you were there to witness this. I know I wasn't. So how do any of you know if the parents were there or not? Was there a life guard on duty? Most hotels that I have been in strictly forbid swimming unless a life guard is on duty. I don't think we have all the facts. My thoughts and prayers go to this child, and his family.
It has has every thing to do with the parents. The parents should have been with him when he was swimming. And EVERY hotel I'v been to had a sign that said "Swim at own risk". And if the parents were ther they would have saved him from dieing.

Mission, KS

#13 Jan 1, 2010
JRR wrote:
For all you people that are blaming the parents why don't you read the article first before posting... this was a party that had chaperons (4 though was not enough for 30 kids) the pearents were to pick up kids later (article says 9) party started at 6 when the boy and his brother started swimming... READ ARTICLES FIRST
Ok, Miss.Smart Aleck the chaperones should have been there. You happy?
JRR

Elyria, OH

#14 Jan 1, 2010
bondman333 wrote:
<quoted text>
It has has every thing to do with the parents. The parents should have been with him when he was swimming. And EVERY hotel I'v been to had a sign that said "Swim at own risk". And if the parents were ther they would have saved him from dieing.
bondman33---Do you have kids? if so did you go to every party they were invited to and stay with them the whole time? I don't think so. and if you have no kids don't say it is the parents fault.. When kids are invited to a party, they put the trust in the chaperones. NO parent will stay with their kid at a party if the chaperones are trusted....... The chaperones should be held responsible. Pray for the family of the lost child, I feel bad for the loss they have to endure..
princess

Canton, OH

#15 Jan 1, 2010
it had NOTHING to do with the parents, they werent even there, when your child is invited to a birthday party you are allowed to drop them off thinking they are in good hands of the people throwing the party, If anything the chaperones are more to blame them anyone, and why did it take till the party was over to realize there was a child missing, what a sad story, my heart goes out to those parents that lost this child!
JRR

Elyria, OH

#16 Jan 1, 2010
bondman333 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, Miss.Smart Aleck the chaperones should have been there. You happy?
I am glad the article was read..... yes the chaperones should be held responsible... and oh yea by the way I am not a Miss (lol)
Dana

Cleveland, OH

#17 Jan 1, 2010
JRR is exactly right! Everything was in the article prior to this posting area.
This was a party with 4 adults watching the kids in the pool. Too many kids and not enough adults! I can't imagine the horror of this poor mother going to pick up her child from a party only to find the adults she left in charge of him didn't even know where he was!!! My daughter went to a party similar to this (only with about 25 kids less)a few weeks ago. I left her with the adult who hosted the party. It was HER responsibility for my child to return to me happy, safe and ALIVE! I thank God she was! I just can NOT imagine the pain of this mother! Actually I can because my two kids were killed in a car accident nearly 14 years ago! But this situation breaks my heart!
Caring Parent

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#18 Jan 1, 2010
How can 4 adults chaperone this many children? I wonder if the parents of the children who atttended this party knew how many chaperones would be there and reponsible for their children? It seems the parents of the children attending this party should have thought this through a little better before allowing their children to attend such a function with very little supervision.
Dana

Cleveland, OH

#19 Jan 1, 2010
I'm not from Erie, I'm from North Ridgeville!
Chad K

Cleveland, OH

#20 Jan 1, 2010
30 kids and only 4 Chaperons. Eh not good. They're shouldve been more chaperons and i have a feeling those four adults werent supervising the party at all.

My Prayars are with the family that lost the kid. This is very sad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Mickie 20,928
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Mar 20 mrdonut 1,142
Review: Allen Studios (Aug '08) Mar 20 Sunny94 49
allah Mar 17 oodoo 1
Opportunity for Women Entrepreneurs Mar 16 slvaselaney 1
Lebron grow up Mar 14 Ike 7
News Sentencings and trials in Cuyahoga County: Cour... (Apr '13) Mar 13 Granny 123

Cleveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cleveland Mortgages