Ohio.com - Townhouses are part of inv...

Ohio.com - Townhouses are part of investment in area

There are 42 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Oct 17, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Townhouses are part of investment in area. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The first building of the new Stevenson Pointe Townhomes off Vernon Odom Boulevard and East Avenue will open to residents Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Chereth Cutestory

Akron, OH

#21 Oct 18, 2007
Anybody watch Oprah yesterday when Dr. Bill Cosby was on??? He is fed up with his OWN PEOPLE and he's not afraid to say it. He made an excellent point which I thought was VERY important. The landmark 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case was meant to give blacks the right to a proper education. They WANTED an education and saw the importance of it in bettering themselves and giving them a future. What the hell happened? What did those people fight for? They took abuse that noone should ever have to take just to get an education and now all the kids today want to be is thugs and drugdealers because you can make a buck faster than if you earned an honest living. I guess it is easier to sit on your ass all day and collect welfare and live in a nice house if the government allows it.

Go to Oprahs site and you can watch this episode. Mr. Cosby has it right.
bobbi

Richfield, OH

#22 Oct 18, 2007
I remember an old ABJ article about the revitalization of Elizabeth Park. Case in point. Grandmas lived there since it opened, their daughters are there, their grandkids live their w/ their kids. Generations all living low-income housing. Getting food stamps, heat vouchers, free health care. The incentive is gone to raise a family (mom AND dad married living together). to raise your kids better than what you have. then again, maybe the kids DO have it better. Look how lovely these homes are. Better than alot of homeowners, and more space. Central air. dishwashers. cable hook-up in every room. heat assistance. PIPP for electric. food stamps. health care. free to low-cost day care. You would lose all this if you WORKED and waited until you could afford a baby.
Paul D Brown

Cincinnati, OH

#23 Oct 19, 2007
Eh,Sommerville ?
The South Rangers Booster Club should be "looking up".
Chereth Cutestory

Akron, OH

#24 Oct 19, 2007
bobbi wrote:
I remember an old ABJ article about the revitalization of Elizabeth Park. Case in point. Grandmas lived there since it opened, their daughters are there, their grandkids live their w/ their kids. Generations all living low-income housing. Getting food stamps, heat vouchers, free health care. The incentive is gone to raise a family (mom AND dad married living together). to raise your kids better than what you have. then again, maybe the kids DO have it better. Look how lovely these homes are. Better than alot of homeowners, and more space. Central air. dishwashers. cable hook-up in every room. heat assistance. PIPP for electric. food stamps. health care. free to low-cost day care. You would lose all this if you WORKED and waited until you could afford a baby.
Nicely said. We make a middle class living and we don't even have central air and a dishwasher. Must be nice to get all those extra perks and not have to pay for them if you're poor. I've been poor but I like to think that I can take care of myself without the assistance of my fellow tax-payers who can barely get by because I would be hogging their paychecks if I had chosen public assistance.
Jed

Canton, OH

#25 Oct 19, 2007
Chereth, TNB. Nothing more, nothing less, and I don't think there is an answer to it.
akron

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#26 Oct 24, 2007
I see that ignorance and bigotry will never go away. Just like in every community there are issues of some type of crime. In your lily white neighborhoods there's all kinds of crime going on and what is amazing is there are NO BLACK PEOPLE LIVING in it. I will admit, yes crime is a issue in the black communities, but at the same time we have deceit homeowners who care about housing and issues facing our communities everyday. At some insane point in our society ALL PEOPLE NEED TO RELIZE THAT all black people are not as you seem to protray us and accept the fact that even in our communities we to live with the undesired WHITE PEOPLE THAT MOVE IN OUR COMMUNITIES AND GIVE US A BAD NAME.
akron

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#27 Oct 24, 2007
And just for the record I am a single black mother of three fine black educated young men who are a product of the communities that you choose to speak of. I have never been on assistance, work hard every day (40 hours a week and pay for my education) and the education of my son's if that is what they choose to do with their life. They are not drug dealers or thugs. And I don't take likely to every time you want to voice your opinion about what is going on in the communities that you want to always blame our children and our very proud parents and grandparents who struggle on a daily basis to keep our children from the endangered elements of the city that pry on all of us. I will never act as if I have blinders on and say that there is not undesired activities that go on in our community and that we are not just as concerned about it as you, when you mention us in your community. But at, the same time history is what it is. We invite the opportunity for new developements in our neighborhoods and worry about who will move in the new developments that are being built. We can only hope and pray that whoever move into the developement will look at it as a opportunity for better and safe housing and not do what everyone is expecting and that is to DESTROY. And as for the South Rangers, please don't include our children in your madness, because we have some very talented and bright (educated) children who participate in the organization and people who care about their future.
Jed

Tulsa, OK

#28 Oct 24, 2007
Akron- you seem to be a decent, intelligent woman. Look at it from my perspective. You ask me to look from your eyes, so do the same for me. EVERY community that blacks flock to have a lowering of property values. I welcome anyone to show me any data to disprove this. Why do they decline? Because of the crime. Period. Yes, white areas have crime. Certainly not to the degree of the black community. This tells me that your community leaders need to strap on a set and take control. They haven't and won't. Why? Because in my experience, every black leader or project ends up having too many chiefs and not enoough indians. They all want to be the head honcho. Look at your charter schools which are an absolute joke. The majority of black projects end up imploding. Since we are the same on the inside, I guess the only difference is cultural. I am not black, so I cannot speak for your people. If it is cultural, then it needs to change in your community. Don't give me any shyite about slavery. Your folks have been here 400 years and have accomplished less than the enterprising Asians and Middle Easterners that go into your communities and open businesses. Businesses that should be owned by Blacks, but are not. Why? No, not the government or "the man". It is your culture's value system. Not all Blacks are bad. Neither are all Whites. Oh, and another observation. Your culture is the only one that I am aware of that gives its own people a hard time for bettering themselves, getting an education, moving into a nicer area and pulling themselves up on their own merits. WTF? What's going on there? That's a bit backward. That attitude is self-perpetuating "holding yourselves back". Ever travel in Europe or overseas? Do some research and look at Blacks in other countries. Blacks in other countries do not act like American Blacks. I am sure you see where I am going with this. Sorry for the long reply. Good luck with things, and I sincerely hope things change.
Apartment Hunting

Massillon, OH

#29 Oct 29, 2007
Well, I did a google on The Waterford At Portage Trail. I found a listing for it on Rent.com and wanted to know more. I was all excited about it. I have heard and seen that Akron isn't a good place for a family (mom, dad & 17 month old). I saw that Waterford was closer to Cuyahoga than Akron and was hoping it was in a better neighborhood. However, all I find here is negative comments about it. So now I'm concerned that it isn't as nice as it looks from the listing. We are not on any assistance and do keep house well and maintain our duplex currently. We're an hour from where my husband works and look to move closer. So - what can you all tell me about the area around the Waterford?
Apartment Hunting

Massillon, OH

#30 Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, well forget the Waterford. I just called and they have income guidelines. Since my husband has been working 48 hours a week (although he won't always work over 40) he makes too much. If he was working 40 we'd be fine. *lol* That's alright. We're not going to quit trying to get ahead for ourselves just to live in an affordable apartment. Back to square one.
mom

Richfield, OH

#31 Oct 30, 2007
forget the Waterford. only the poor deserve such fine big apartments. If you are 'working stiffs' and want an affordable place in the Valley you head over to Timbertop. careful, since the Waterford was built crime has gone up in the area.
working mother

Cleveland, OH

#32 Jan 13, 2008
The Waterford at Portage is so much nicer than the Timber Tops accross the street. It's staff is maintaining the apts nicely. the grounds are cared for by tenants as well as staff because we care. I am amazed how many of the negative comments left here about bringing a lower class of people to the area have spelling and sentence structure that indicates they might have even passed 3rd grade! Its true that some people will ask for a hand out and not try. But there are those that just need a nice place to live and room for their child until they can move up in the world. Or, like my husband and I, are involved in a volunteer work to help others gain higher moral and ethical standards. So please, take a "chill pill" and worry about your own lives for a change. So many of you cheat on your taxes beyond anything that this kind of program could add to it. Stop griping and get a life.
Entertained Reader

Cleveland, OH

#33 Jan 13, 2008
Hahaha!! lol I find this whole Waterford debate hysterical! It's obvious that all of you that hate this place being around so much are just jealous that you can't live there! lol Thanks for the entertainment!
sick of theft and crime

Medina, OH

#34 Feb 12, 2008
You are living in lala land! There are a lot of people who are life long welfare recievers- they are not looking for a temporary helping hand!(however some are) I am a victim of the section 8 low life scum who want to steal from hard working people to make their money! I have worked multiple jobs and have gone to school full-time to support myself and have a better life and during this process I have been robbed of nice things I have worked hard to have!Low life bums broke into my car stealing everything from it resulting in a loss of at least $5,000! Not to mention the rest of the money I had to pay to fix the damage they caused! The low life scum brought in by section 8 are not only taking my money through taxes but they are robbing my personal belongings as well. Every one is capable of working. I do not beleive in free hand outs. I have been working my whole life.People make their own choices, it is a matter of character, morals, determination and work ethic. You want it- you can make it happen. I am so sick of the whoa is me I need a hand out B.S! To all the low life theives- F@#$* you! Get a job and stop stealing from hard working people!
working mother wrote:
The Waterford at
Portage is so much nicer than the Timber Tops accross the street. It's staff is maintaining the apts nicely. the grounds are cared for by tenants as well as staff because we care. I am amazed how many of the negative comments left here about bringing a lower class of people to the area have spelling and sentence structure that indicates they might have even passed 3rd grade! Its true that some people will ask for a hand out and not try. But there are those that just need a nice place to live and room for their child until they can move up in the world. Or, like my husband and I, are involved in a volunteer work to help others gain higher moral and ethical standards. So please, take a "chill pill" and worry about your own lives for a change. So many of you cheat on your taxes beyond anything that this kind of program could add to it. Stop griping and get a life.
Hardworking

Akron, OH

#35 Aug 20, 2013
Everyone is bashing this, but what about the people who bust their backs working but can barely get by? I'm working 3 jobs and I'm barely getting by! Not everyone who needs help is lazy and ghetto! Some of us are really doing our best and just need a little help!
Mary

Canton, OH

#36 Nov 12, 2013
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
Hillwood Homes West. No sooner will they open and we'll see "Stevenson Pointe" amongst the regulars found each Sunday on the BJ crime page.

But look its 2013 and I havent heard anything bad about the town houses. Smh sad how negitively you all think.
d pantz

United States

#37 Nov 12, 2013
FTC wrote:
Al Silver, if not for progressives, you'd still be living in a cave, wearing a loincloth and eating with your bare hands. Unless of course, you actually enjoy that sort of thing.
speak for yourself. If it weren't for "progressives" taking money from the working class americans and giving huge corporations tax breaks and allowing banks to make millions on welfare transactions, most of us might have our mortgages paid by now. Those of us who work.
d pantz

United States

#38 Nov 12, 2013
akron wrote:
I see that ignorance and bigotry will never go away. Just like in every community there are issues of some type of crime. In your lily white neighborhoods there's all kinds of crime going on and what is amazing is there are NO BLACK PEOPLE LIVING in it. I will admit, yes crime is a issue in the black communities, but at the same time we have deceit homeowners who care about housing and issues facing our communities everyday. At some insane point in our society ALL PEOPLE NEED TO RELIZE THAT all black people are not as you seem to protray us and accept the fact that even in our communities we to live with the undesired WHITE PEOPLE THAT MOVE IN OUR COMMUNITIES AND GIVE US A BAD NAME.
do not the the difference? People actually pay their own mortgages in our "Lilly white" neighborhoods. And if they don't they end up living in a very small section 8 area. Grant you some of these people are SICK! Remember the lady from portage county pretending to be pregnant? That scares me more than the hood, but there are more people who work and pay their own way..
d pantz

United States

#39 Nov 12, 2013
Sorry. Don't you see the difference .
d pantz

United States

#40 Nov 12, 2013
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
But look its 2013 and I havent heard anything bad about the town houses. Smh sad how negitively you all think.
what? You hear bad stuff about that area constantly. You live under a rock? I don't even like driving through there...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Dawg 43 20,638
News Man dies after being hit by car on Cleveland Av... 6 hr Mee 19
Cleveland will NOT vote for Clinton 13 hr ClintonsNoLeaders 2
News Coffee Quiz Fox 8 News In The Morning Scott Sabol (Jun '10) 13 hr Jennifer etela 23
Heroin ? (Feb '15) Wed Danzr31585 50
Debate: Lester Holt Failed, Clinton Failed, Tru... Wed Awful 1st Debate 2
Bisexual mayors Sep 26 Eric Deyampert 1

Cleveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cleveland Mortgages