Ohio.com - Townhouses are part of investment in area

The first building of the new Stevenson Pointe Townhomes off Vernon Odom Boulevard and East Avenue will open to residents Nov. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Huh

Akron, OH

#1 Oct 17, 2007
At least these 'homes' were built in a neighborhood in which they belong. Look what happened to the valley, after they built 'The Waterford at Portage Trail'. The Waterford brought property values down, and a LOWER class of people to the area.
I am guessing those townhouses will be tore up in less than two years.
a voice

Mantua, OH

#2 Oct 17, 2007
Good idea!! I have seen many moons!
Need Understanding

Collierville, TN

#3 Oct 17, 2007
If each unit has a value of $200,000. How can the builder rent them out for $395 to $690 for a unit? Last time I checked, I could not buy a $200,000 has for that morgage payment. Is this other "Donnie" plan? Were is the money coming to help this development? I would say "OUR" taxes.
Al Silver

Canton, OH

#4 Oct 17, 2007
Do Gooder programs DO NOT WORK. We have spent $6 Trillion dollars since LBJ gave us his Greta Society program, wealth that could have been used for decent economic growth. Instead it ceated a bureaucracy that is beyond imagination. Every time I am in the check out line at Aldi's I see Huge people with carts FULL of groceries, and they pay with an OHIO Card, I think of good old LBJ who permit these O'Beese people to fail.
Here we have another program where someone has scimmed $$$$$$ off the top and given the ghetto another reason why they should not get themselves mooovin in life, because you and I will take care of them. Screw the progressives and all that they stand for.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#5 Oct 17, 2007
Hillwood Homes West. No sooner will they open and we'll see "Stevenson Pointe" amongst the regulars found each Sunday on the BJ crime page.
FTC

Corning, OH

#6 Oct 17, 2007
Al Silver, if not for progressives, you'd still be living in a cave, wearing a loincloth and eating with your bare hands. Unless of course, you actually enjoy that sort of thing.
Mac

Shippingport, PA

#7 Oct 17, 2007
Al Silver wrote:
Do Gooder programs DO NOT WORK......they should not get themselves mooovin in life, because you and I will take care of them. Screw the progressives and all that they stand for.
I agree. PUCO should get rid of PIPP. The $175.00 option is crap. These people do NOTHING. They think they are entitled to a free ride. Forget about working 50hours a week to feed your family and pay your bill. Why would you do that? You can work 25 hours a week and get governemnt assistance. SCREW THE MIDDLE CLASS. Thats what we hear anyways. The rich get tax breaks. The poor get earned income credits and free money and governemnt assistance out the you know what. I tried to get assistance one time, because I was off work due to surgery....I only needed $125 dollars to pay a utilty bill because my short term disabilty was short. They told me I made too much, guess the bill went without being paid for 60days. I went back to work. I worked OT and paid the bill. That same day a urbanite came in and he was in his 20's and said he was unemployed and has never worked because he cant pass a drug test. Thye gave him $200 toward groceries and a gas bill.

Tell me how that is fair! The middle class work hard and need a little help and they get none. But the lower class work little and get a lot of help.
West Akron Resident

Cleveland, OH

#8 Oct 17, 2007
This isn't good for the community. It's ultimately (within the next 10 years) going to become a home to drug dealers and trouble. Taxpayers, like myself, are footing the bill for people who don't earn enough money, to live outside their means. i earn close to $50,000K a year and would love to live in a $200,000 home, but quess what, I can't afford it.
West Akron Resident

Cleveland, OH

#9 Oct 17, 2007
Huh.....Awesome comment, that was my exact thought. The Waterford is a disgrace to the area and the "developers" who built it are idiots. Thanks for trying to ruin the valley. I've lived in the valley for the past 12 years and not until about 4 years ago have I had any problems, since then my car has been broken into 3 times as well as my television stolen from my home. THE WATERFORD SUCKS.
Seperate Ways

Ashtabula, OH

#10 Oct 17, 2007
The Waterford aka the Akron Zoo of the valley
WEST AKRON

Wadsworth, OH

#11 Oct 17, 2007
WHAT IS THE WATERFORD? ARE THOSE TOWNHOMES IN MERRIAM VALLEY. I DID'NT KNOW THE VALLEY HAD LOW INCOME TOWNHOMES.
Former Resident

Cleveland, OH

#12 Oct 17, 2007
The Waterford was one of the worst things to happen to the Valley (next to Timber Top being allowed to constantly expand). IF the developers and city this new development at VO and East will do anything worthwhile, you're nuts. Just nice looking subsidized housing for people (for the most part) who don't give a damn and will tear it up.
West Akron Resident

Cleveland, OH

#13 Oct 17, 2007
There is no reason for someone making $30k to live in a $200,000 house.....In that case, my sister works at a restaurant and only makes $15k...how much house should she get?...$250,000?!!!.....$300,0 000?!!!
Sonar 68

Englewood, CO

#14 Oct 17, 2007
Cages not housing.
Zara

Cleveland, OH

#15 Oct 17, 2007
I agree. Within 5 years or less, the townhouses will be a dump.
former Akronite

West Mclean, VA

#16 Oct 17, 2007
Wish I could get my rent paid for working part time and popping out future hoodlooms.
Actually, the problem is most of us are to proud of being self sufficient to stoop to a life-long handout. Insurance, food card, free bus passes, free college, clothes,....

WTF is going on in this country.
We are on our way moral and economic collapse. QUIT handing out the hard earned tax monies taken from the backs of the barely-making it- to any lazy, unmotivated, addicted, don't want to work, never had a job.. can't look for one, piece of scum.
My parents (yes, we had 2. Same Mother AND Father) raised 10+ children on my dads blue collar salary. We never asked for a gov. handout-(let along expected one), even when we had to for-go school clothes, liquid milk (for powdered) to keep the lights on.
Unbelievable- all the politicians come out and proudly mug for the camera when another one of these social debacles is unveiled.

Jed

Kent, OH

#17 Oct 17, 2007
Good observations on The Waterford. Take a look at the filth on Prange Drive in the Falls as well. Those new homes will be destroyed inside of a year. That is the ONLY species that destroys its own habitat, and tears up its own living space. What a dilemma. Couple that with the fact that no one wants to live near them, as they only lower property values, and turn every area they live into a ghetto. What do you do? They have already destroyed the Woodridge Schools with The Waterford. I wonder how many times the CVS at the bottom of the hill gets shoplifted.
Al Silver

Canton, OH

#18 Oct 17, 2007
Now...Now ...All you Bigots and Race Baiters... Don't you No that its against the law to be hate mongers..Billie boy saw to it with the hate crimes bill. Just elect Hildabeast and our world will come to an end, if you know what i mean.
Ignoramus'
Al Silver

Canton, OH

#19 Oct 18, 2007
Stevenson Pointe, 2010
Cracked heads
single "person" households
dilapidated buildings
federal money needed for re-construction
foreclosure
prostitutes
drug dealers
more akron history to be PROUD of
enable 'em to fail
empower the downtrodden
bobbi

West Salem, OH

#20 Oct 18, 2007
3-4 bdrms means alot of kiddies. Where oh where is the incentive to work and be out on your own ?? In Akron, many poor live in better housing than there 'working blue-collar' counterparts. Look at the Waterford. Nice. or my fav, Eastland Woods. Completely remodeled homes paid by YOUR tax dollars.(after 3 yrs, families have managed to tear up the insides already.) AMHA has a ton of homes, all torn up inside. First, remember these are renters with no incentive or money to fix up what they break in the home. Heck, many are not good housekeepers. People on the TOPIX have complained about taxes going up, well here is why. There are tons (1000 or so) homes in foreclosure in town, why can't this group fix up these empty homes and sell them to the poor for an affordable rate ???? hmm, maybe they just want the poor to be takers ??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) 10 min Donna WG 1,014
Low-cost pet sterilization available across NE ... 13 min Donna WG 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 min Donna WG 19,228
Was Dumb fired from Rovers Morning Glory 6 hr TheTruth 35
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 19 Vic 231
admirer Sep 18 admirer 1
Do not buy Toshiba copiers!!! (Jan '09) Sep 18 floyd 20
•••

Rip Current Statement for Cuyahoga County was issued at September 22 at 3:30AM EDT

•••
•••
•••

Cleveland Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Cleveland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Cleveland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cleveland