Law and Order

There are 63 comments on the The Plain Dealer story from Jul 7, 2007, titled Law and Order. In it, The Plain Dealer reports that:

Attorney Michelle A. Smithern, 48, of Akron, was arrested Thursday on a grand theft charge. via The Plain Dealer

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Plain Dealer.

I know her well

Millsboro, DE

#41 Oct 24, 2008
She got off with just 5 years probation. Big deal.

She was given a 12 months suspended prison sentence.

So everyone who suffered from this, you can line up to sue her .... but good luck on that, she can use the system to avoid paying off on that as well.

A real shame on so many levels....
mac

Kent, OH

#42 Oct 24, 2008
What an insult her sentence is!
mac

Kent, OH

#43 Oct 24, 2008
She really should have jail time.
chip in canton

AOL

#44 Oct 24, 2008
not to be surprised. that is the legal bs system we have. a person can steal from a local store and get time, but this witch can rip over $100k and get no time !! attorney's and judges hang together, play together and smooch together. unless you are an attorney, you will get screwed. they drag out the litigation, play games, act hot and bothered yet claim they work for the judge and justice....what a bunch of bull. smithern will never pay the $1000 per month, she has stuck the firm (not bad enough) and her clients. white collar crime is tax free, never gets paid back and is better than welfare. the pay is great. i lost $50k to a manager and he also got no time. we are all in the wrong business. i am still waiting for some restitution ... six months later.
Honest Attorney

Warren, OH

#45 Oct 25, 2008
I heard from a reliable source that neither the prosecutor nor the former employer asked for actual jail time. The visiting judge ordered restitution at $1,000.00 per month.
chip in canton

AOL

#47 Oct 26, 2008
...of course they would not ask for jail time, they are all attorney's and cover each other's back. smithern is a snake bit*h woman who deserves the bottom bunk so she can service her other cellies. with her record, how can she make $1000/mo legally? she couldn't live on $110k a year. she's too old and ugly to hook, too mean for men and just a miserable person.
I know her well

Millsboro, DE

#48 Oct 26, 2008
I am actually surprised Buckingham Doolittle pursued prosecution in the first place if they were not going to push for jail time.... it is quite common in banks for instance to merely allow the embezeller off with a simple resignation rather than have the bad publicity. The fact that this was made so public made me think they were looking to make an example of her.

Does anyone know the firm's logic in not askng for jail time?
truth sayer

Kent, OH

#49 Oct 29, 2008
Her real problem can't be detected by a urine sample. Gambling addiction doesn't show up in the blood or urine stream. She'll be able to drop clean urine forever and pass probation because that's not her issue. Is she had been charged with the felony 3 like should've been, it would have been mandatory jail time and loss of her license to practice law in Ohio.
truth sayer

Kent, OH

#50 Oct 29, 2008
courtwatcher wrote:
I don't know what happened today. I didn't get a chance to stop into the hearing.
But on 7/25/08 Michelle's attorney filed a motion for a Drug Intervention in Lieu of Conviction. Which is total crap. Michelle doesn't have a drug problem - her problem is more like Vegas.
I don't know if the Judge bought it or not. If he did my confidence in the justice system will be shattered. Michelle has caused a lot of damage to many people. Her firm has recovered some of the money she stole through the insurance company (subject to subrogation), but while she was churning the files to cover the money she stole, her clients and the opposition had to pay a lot of money for her lack of morales.
I can tell you (hearsay of course) that she did stroll into the courthouse just before !0:00am professionally dressed and apparently without a care in the world. Insiders say she has no remorse and that she feels she has done nothing wrong.
Given the length of this process and the apparent ruse of a drug problem - Michelle's strategy is clear - draw out the process, plead guilty under a deal for a drug intervention in lieu of conviction - which means she is putting forth that the drugs made her do it and if she gets help she won't re-offend and sentencing will be put off for about a year - go to rehab - and in one year the case will be dismissed and sealed and she will go on as if nothing happened. Always the gambler - Nobody said she was dumb - the only dumb people are the ones who trusted her in the first place.
I'll post more as I learn more...
Check out my post.
disgusted lawyer

Chagrin Falls, OH

#51 Nov 19, 2008
truth sayer wrote:
Her real problem can't be detected by a urine sample. Gambling addiction doesn't show up in the blood or urine stream. She'll be able to drop clean urine forever and pass probation because that's not her issue. Is she had been charged with the felony 3 like should've been, it would have been mandatory jail time and loss of her license to practice law in Ohio.
Does anyone know why she is still licensed in Ohio? The Ohio Supreme Court website shows "no discipline" for Michelle so I am assuming that she is still free to practice law. I am surprised that none of her former clients have filed complaints with the Supreme Court.If what the commenters have said she has violated several ethical rules. BTW, one does not need to be a toop student to get a job with BDB. I know of at least 2 lawyers who were of very low rank academcially who went to work for BDB.
disgusted lawyer

Chagrin Falls, OH

#52 Nov 19, 2008
sorry for the numerous typos. should have proofread.
Delona

Cleveland, OH

#53 Nov 19, 2008
Kaiser Socia wrote:
"Negligent & full of horrible advice," sums her up in my opinion.
Long drawn out divorce followed by a civil suit as a result of her sloppy ways.
Opinions on her actions during the 'questionable' period will be voiced to:
Kelly Anderson @
Summit County Adult Probation Department
53 University Avenue
Akron OH, 44308
Orange will be a good color to wear to a Halloween party in the joint.
KS
Ohio need atty. info sites
I am grateful for any attorney information, I wish there were sites available relative to reputable attorneys in Ohio.
disgusted lawyer

Chagrin Falls, OH

#54 Nov 20, 2008
there are many reputable lawyers in ohio. if you need an attorney, you can call the local bar association for a referral. sometimes lawyers in small firms offer much better service and quality of work. contrary to popular belief they are often smarter than their peers at big law firms. however,they are often of a more independent nature making big firm life unattractive. also lawyers at small firms generally do not have the same onerous billable hours requirement as the big firm lawyers, so your fees are likely to be lower. don't forget big firms have very large overhead which does nothing for the client.they lease expensive office space, have lavish conference rooms,too much staff and purchase luxuries like fresh flowers which you as a client pay for but which do nothing to enhance your legal representation.
I know her well

Philadelphia, PA

#55 May 13, 2009
Michelle Smithern's licence was stripped in Feb 2009 by the Ohio Supreme Court. She is not allowed to practice law in Ohio at this time. She had a great deal of ability that she used in the wrong way. What a shame. People who came to her for help, paid her for help and really needed her services. She could have helped, she had that ability.... she needed a bigger challenge apparently. But she destroyed a number of lives other than her own in so doing.
used2Brich

United States

#56 Jul 16, 2009
Michelle Smithern, I know you are reading this. You caused me (and my child) a great deal of suffering as an indirect result of your actions.

I can perhaps someday forgive you for what you did to me, but I will NEVER forgive you for what you ultimately did to her. You should be forever shamed for what you did. We needed your help, we paid you for help and we deserved better.
KINDNESS

Erie, PA

#58 Sep 13, 2010
I live in canton ohio I have 2 kids my kids are in foster care the worker want my 2 kids to be put for adoption I would like to know if anyone can help with information Im in need of a good fighting attorney to take on dcfs my 2 kids are suffering in foster care Im in need of help saving my 2 kids I had a public 2 paid attorneys on my case & nothing still has been done the attorney did not file nothing on my case I had to pay a new attorney in full to file a appeal for me the new attorney has not got no information back about my appeal yet the attorney is asking for more money & she is not telling me what the money is for If anyone know of a good attorney that is willing to get paid & fight for me & my 2 kids contact me my e-mail is [email protected] HELP ME SAVE MY 2 KIDS FORM ADOPTION / SALE i NEED HELP LIKE ASPA THANKS
Blue Plate Special

Newtown, PA

#59 Sep 28, 2010
Michelle Smithern is working as a server somewhere in Cleveland according to this testimony before the Supreme Court.... anybody know where she is slinging hash?

http://www.ohiochannel.org/MediaLibrary/Media...
bob schultz

Cleveland, OH

#60 Dec 12, 2010
hi michelle, gee i really miss you. still thinking about you. i miss you so much, it hurts.

oh yeah, how did you spend all the money you made on my legal fees?

merry christmas, michelle/are you still waiting tables?
bob schultz

Cleveland, OH

#61 Dec 12, 2010
...heart it is at like a bob evans, or boar's head or something like that. bet she makes a ton on tips !

oh yeah, count your change before you leave!
An MAS victim

Akron, OH

#62 May 30, 2012
chip in canton wrote:
...of course they would not ask for jail time, they are all attorney's and cover each other's back. smithern is a snake bit*h woman who deserves the bottom bunk so she can service her other cellies. with her record, how can she make $1000/mo legally? she couldn't live on $110k a year. she's too old and ugly to hook, too mean for men and just a miserable person.
She is a low-life! And the courts, once again, fail to do the right thing by jailing her. They are all in bed together...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone got some boxes 21 hr Eleven 4
1.1 million basketball fans attended the parade... Wed The Punisher 1
Heroin ? (Feb '15) Jun 21 icanhelp 27
Hotel to stay tonight + tomorrow? Jun 21 where2stay 1
Luck of the Cavs Jun 20 The Punisher 5
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jun 20 Homeboynot 20,366
Clinton Crime Family = New World Order Cabal Jun 20 Clintons suckers ... 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cleveland Mortgages